[1.2] Sidra's Guide: Acrobatics Based Physical Crit Split Arrow Ranger (Atziri Kill Video Inside)

I have become bored of my CoC discharger (although OP), and have been looking for a ranged build. This build looks really awesome - and I just have one question. Is it at all possible to make something similar as CI?

All my previous chars has been CI, and it would therefore be so much easier to gear - as I already have 6Ls etc.

If not - I guess I will just start the grind for all new gear =)

Thanks in advance,

/Despair
IGN: TormentAndDespair
I would say a similar CI build would be possible with the brand new Quiver as your enabler, although it might not be quite as tough since you lose out a good bit of evasion gearing ES. And you'd also have to swap Hatred or Grace for Discipline which would have an impact.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on Jun 4, 2014, 7:07:00 PM
"
I have become bored of my CoC discharger (although OP), and have been looking for a ranged build. This build looks really awesome - and I just have one question. Is it at all possible to make something similar as CI?

All my previous chars has been CI, and it would therefore be so much easier to gear - as I already have 6Ls etc.

If not - I guess I will just start the grind for all new gear =)

Thanks in advance,

/Despair

I used to play as a CI crit split back in anarchy and it was definitely possible, but having now played as both I can say that, at least as far as my experience goes, playing on life is definitely easier (and usually allows for more yummy dps). It's also much harder to run hatred as CI due to the need/preference for discipline, and your survivability could take a big hit without using chayula/dream fragments, which both take up very effective DPS slots. And of course you can't take advantage of acrobatics with CI which makes you a whole lot more squishy.

That being said, with the right gear you could potentially stack 8k+ ES even without a shield, which is significantly higher than most life based crit splits can get.

A rough tree for CI I might suggest would be something like this, though it may need modifying, a lot's changed since I played CI.

Also might be worth checking out Fyndel's CI crit split guide, it goes into a lot of depth about everything
For try for see and for know.
IGN: Sap
I run a hybrid life/ES build. It's a lot easier than trying to stack ES.
Alright thanks for the replies guys. I think I will forget about CI then - and just start gearing all over for a HP based build. Should be fun =) !
IGN: TormentAndDespair
"
Asidra wrote:
Sure, I will start with helping your DPS some. Your rings/ammy/quiver - there is nothing wrong with them, but none of them has a flat + physical damage roll. So that's 4 slots that could be adding to your base damage that's giving you 0. This is the first stat I look for on anything that contains it, as it gets the benefit of all other DPS selections (Attack Speed > Phy% > Crit Chance/Multi). And is important as it is for me, it's more important for you because the LG hits so fast.

To give you an example, at one point I had 2 rings, one with 9-14 phys damage, and the other was a diamond with 30% crit chance. Removing the one with physical damage dropped my DPS twice as much as when I dropped the diamond ring. So for you, that's where I'd start to look. Also, on your tree - I'd prioritze the Deadly Draw half of the circle over the Heavy Draw, although at 81 you could just go get it now.

For Life Gain on Hit, it's probably not necessary if you play the game on easy mode. Blue Maps, more grouping than solo, skipping a lot of bosses etc. You could get away with just some life leech if that's the case. But this build is made for hard mode - difficult mods, solo usually, boss killing.

Now...LGOH. Split Arrow has 6 Arrows Chaining 2 times - 18 "hits" at 50 damage per hit - 900 HP healed per attack (assuming shooting into a pack). At around 3 atacks per second you could conceivably heal 2700 per second. Life Leech caps at 20% of max HP, so 1k per second if you have 5k HP. HOw much healing would you rather have? But it's also instant - and combined with some leech on gear you can fill your HP extremely quickly. There are sooooo many boss encounters where I literally leave the adds alive on purpose while single targeting the boss so that when I take a big hit, I toss 2 a volley or two into the adds so I am full and then back to business.

LGOH is a must because there are a lot of encounters that are a much more risky if you don't have it.

Thanks alot for helping. I will admit i am very clueless when it comes to gearing anything other than a face breaker. But as it turns out, it seems to be quite the same here too. Focus on flat physical damage modifiers? So this is like really important to up that damage? Got it.

I forgot to mention i have problems sustaining mana using split arrow+chain. I have a feeling this could be because i haven't focused on increasing my damage with flat physical damage and perhaps because lioneye bow has a rather high attack speed?

Your bow has a 313 dps while my bow has 284 dps but i shoot much faster so i have to spend more mana and need to replenish more mana compared to you. If i'm seeing this right a slower bow is preferrable. Just love the juicy mods on lioneye.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jun 5, 2014, 2:50:05 PM
For damage on gear, I'd prioritize it:

Flat Physical Damage > Crit Multi > Crit Chance > Elementnal Damage with Weapons

The more of all of it, the better DPS, but that's how I view the hierachy.

For mana, while LG shoots faster it also has a very nice mana roll to help your leech rate. Upping your damage may solve the issue, but if not get some more mana from the tree. The 8%mana/6% health nodes in the upper left where you have some resistances are great - that's what I use. And always on the lookout for accessories that have the other stats I need, plus a little mana.

Also, you can never really do bad damage with Lioneye's, it's just an all around solid bow. But as you move forward with the build if you really want to up the DPS, you want a bow with a higher crit rate. You pointed out our bow's DPS difference, but really that's small potatoes. The big difference is my 8.6% crit rate versus your 5%. Given all else equal, when you are critting at 35%, I'd be critting at 60%.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on Jun 5, 2014, 3:41:34 PM
Ok damage is much better now. 10 000 frenzy dps with hatred and 0 frenzy charges. 21 000 frenzy dps with hatred and 6 frenzy charges.

Split arrow dps is 3658 with hatred and 0 frenzy charges. 4452 with 6 frenzy charges. Not much difference there for some reason.

My problem is that i run out of mana so fast with sa+chain. I spent almost 2 hours testing different jewelry to try and find a way to not run out of mana. I even ran lvl 5-10 clarity with no success. Also replaced faster attacks both for frenzy and sa in a futile attempt to remedy the situation.

My current gear. Testing gear mind you.
Spoiler

Rest of my testing jewelry and stuff =)
Spoiler

When i use sa with pierce i don't have any mana problems.

Seems like the only way is to drop chain or run sa+chain on blood magic. I think there just isn't enough damage left to leech enough with chain halving my physical damage.

Also with the nerf there is only 1 concurrent leech in action? Right? All the amount of small hits with chain are good for nothing when it comes to leech? I guess that explains it then.

Really annoying.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jun 5, 2014, 5:52:54 PM
More damage won't increase your leech rate, more mana will. Mana from gear and tree is the key. But until you get it, Pierce works pretty well.

Posted this about a month ago, although someone just bumped it yesterday. It's a good read:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919065

Last edited by Asidra on Jun 5, 2014, 6:12:51 PM
Yes i already read it. I tried increasing my mana to 640 something. But it didn't work for me.
Probably need higher than that and i don't have any passive skills to spare for putting into max mana so i guess i'm stuck with pierce.

Btw fork isn't so bad either =)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info