[2.0] THOR'S RAINBOWNUKE: DO ALL MAPS, UBER ATZIRI, AND EXPLOSIONS!

"
yotmato wrote:

Yep, damage with mjolner is definately the concern, lets give up a insane shield for some attack speed and 0.2 leech. Good luck with that, and zero block

Fair point....I fully agree that the defensive downgrades may not seem too practical. However, I believe that there is some benefit to going dual wield. I should have been clearer in explaining that the attack speed bonus was the main draw of going dual wield.

That attack speed bonus isnt very small, when used in conjunction with Doryani's Catalyst, its almost a 40% increase to the number of attacks per second. Attack speed is going to be greatly needed for 2.0 due to the nerfs to Multistrike and Blood Rage. The increased DAMAGE for spells is just a nice bonus.

0.2% elemental leech is no joke either, as its still adds to to sustaining your ES pool. Although whether that 2000 ES tradeoff is worth it in 2.0, it remains to be seen. I'm hoping that options like Fortify will counter the loss of block and ES.

The idea is to go hyper aggressive. You just kill packs before they touch you and you leech back every instance of damage you take. I am not saying its better than using a GG spell shield, its just a different approach that can work.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Jul 3, 2015, 7:21:04 AM
Assuming my math is right on attack speed and we're looking at around 80% of the current attack speed, not counting jewels, then I'd be very surprised if dropping a shield to pick up some attack speed and 0.2% leech is a good idea in 2.0.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Jul 3, 2015, 10:14:37 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:
Assuming my math is right on attack speed and we're looking at around 80% of the current attack speed, not counting jewels, then I'd be very surprised if dropping a shield to pick up some attack speed and 0.2% leech is a good idea in 2.0.

Based on my calculations, lets say you use a 15% attack speed Doryani's Catalyst, you average attacks per second will be about 1.34, which is as good as have a 1.65 attack speed multiplier on your non dual wield Mjolner. Additionally, the 10% more attack speed bonus for dual wielding will further raise your attack speed. On top of that, there is roughly a 13% damage bonus for using Doryani's Catalyst over a 73% spell shield. Assuming you have instant leech, you will be leeching in greater amounts and more often, especially when combined with 0.2% elemental leech.

In theory, this form of play style is sustainable, as depite the loss ES and Block, you should be able to survive with 6000 ES, as long as you have vaal pact for instant leech. However, this is just an experimental concept, its too soon to say whether it will work in 2.0.
I'll be interested to hear your results testing it. It's a no-go on my setup as my gear is too finely tuned to swap out any one piece without breaking a ton of stuff. It would cost me 1300 ES and 22 chaos res, and I'd have to pick up 16 all resist and 30 strength on the passive tree which would cost several points or force me to waste jewel slots.
I will probably test this idea after finalizing a normal Mjolner and Shield set up to run. I mainly lose out about 2000 ES and 20+ cold and fire resists. As I probably wont run Blood Rage with the dual wield setup, I will just drop Shavs Rev and get a good resist and ES ring to compensate. Hopefully those Attack Speed and LGoH jewels wont be too expensive though.
That's going to be a big issue for a lot of us who want to test this stuff...getting the right jewels and the right modifiers on them. Nevermind the fact that rolling them won't be easy either, so at first you might end up having to slot some points into non-jewel passives and then get ready to respec those points later on when you get the proper stuff. Might not be an absolute huge issue if you're not needing any of the likely overpriced-at-first unique jewels, but then again...hope ya have a lot of Alts/Augs and Regal/Chaos saved up.
"
Tanakeah wrote:
That's going to be a big issue for a lot of us who want to test this stuff...getting the right jewels and the right modifiers on them. Nevermind the fact that rolling them won't be easy either, so at first you might end up having to slot some points into non-jewel passives and then get ready to respec those points later on when you get the proper stuff. Might not be an absolute huge issue if you're not needing any of the likely overpriced-at-first unique jewels, but then again...hope ya have a lot of Alts/Augs and Regal/Chaos saved up.

IMO it will not be a good idea to dump chaos on jewels. If you need a specific set of mods, do it as magic, and then just wait a couple weeks for poe.xyz to get flooded with rare jewels and buy what you want.

Since jewels can only have 4 mods, and the unique jewels at this point aren't particularly great, I don't see jewels being a particularly expensive commodity (in standard, at least).

The cost to craft a perfect jewel will be FAR less than to craft a perfect rare... probably like two or three orders of magnitude less... since there are far fewer possible mods and you would only have to et/ex a single mod instead of three mods. I am not even sure people will et/regal or et/ex jewels but it's still interesting to note.
Last edited by tackle70 on Jul 3, 2015, 7:31:55 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:

IMO it will not be a good idea to dump chaos on jewels. If you need a specific set of mods, do it as magic, and then just wait a couple weeks for poe.xyz to get flooded with rare jewels and buy what you want.

Since jewels can only have 4 mods, and the unique jewels at this point aren't particularly great, I don't see jewels being a particularly expensive commodity (in standard, at least).

The cost to craft a perfect jewel will be FAR less than to craft a perfect rare... probably like two or three orders of magnitude less... since there are far fewer possible mods and you would only have to et/ex a single mod instead of three mods. I am not even sure people will et/regal or et/ex jewels but it's still interesting to note.

I agree with this, Jewels will be much easier to craft, as they only have 1 tier of mods, the variable range on their mods isnt very large and they can only have 4 mods max (2 prefixes and 2 suffixes). So for the first few days of launch, using ALTs on magic Jewels will have to suffice (I have about a 2000 ALTS saved up), until POE.xyz has a bountiful amount of rare jewels. The only unique Jewels that I feel are necessities are the ones you can get from the Act 2 Unique Jewel Quest, so if you want to save currency you can invest a few hours to complete the quest on the appropriate difficulty.
"
tackle70 wrote:

Problem is, is that specific mods needed might very well mean you need two prefixes, so even if you get the right prefix and suffix you want initially, you're going to have to Regal (and you will want to Regal) and hope you get what you want. The mod pool isn't that big, so don't underestimate using Chaos Orbs, though the Alt/Aug/Regal route will likely be the better way to go, but hopefully not everyone will think that way or else we're not gonna have those 'perfect jewels' to buy even on poe.trade. :p

Sorta splitting hairs here at the moment to be honest, but again, don't knock Chaos spamming as someone is gonna have to do it. That and Chaos spamming is likely a more tolerable thing than trying to exalt a 3-modded jewel and hoping you nail that 4th affix, especially since we're likely not to see mirror services and the like used on jewels. ...Let's not even talk about going crazy and trying to corrupt those 'perfect' 4-affix rares either. :P
Important Prefixes would be:

Spoiler
Attack Sped with Mace (Crimson Only)

Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons (Crimson and Viridian Only)

Attack Speed with Shield

Spell Damage with Shield (Cobalt Only)

Increased Maximum ES (Cobalt Only)

Increased Lightning Damage

Important Suffixes would be:

Spoiler
Attack Speed (Global)

Spell Damage (Global) (Cobalt Only)

Strength

Dexterity

Strength and Dexterity

All Attributes

Life Gained on Hit (Crimson Only)

Energy Shield Gained on Hit (Cobalt Only)

Depending on what you need, a decent magic jewel might more than suffice. Magics jewels will probably be dirt cheap: no more than a few Alts or a few Fusing at most. Upgrading to rare jewels will probably cost a few Exalts. Although this will only occur once the jewel market explosion cools off a bit. From what I see, if you need some Attack Speed and Stats/LGoH, you can easily buy or craft the Magic Jewel you want. However, if you want that 3 Attack Speed Roll with Stats/LGoH, you will probably have to regal a Magic Jewel. Given the super high conversion rate of exalts to chaos, maybe chaos spamming might be economically viable as well. The chances of getting a good quad roll jewel isnt that astronomically low. Crimson jewels will probably be the most valuable to this build, as its the only base type that can roll LGoH, and its the base type with the most Attack Speed options that benefit the Mjolner build.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Jul 4, 2015, 9:25:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info