1.3 The Community's Molten Strike, Face Melting Build!! 1h+shield and 2h variants available

"
Tyraziell wrote:

If you aren't married to Marauder, I think this is stronger:

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40AXhmO7YMILtN-PeJI7niu18u306OKG62VZgSxTGBNkiP2VvruDhjbFHWkwimlTipbr7ZBrK_nkcOGm4M26DJ-OlIyCXJsbEapbngNWK_YvTWStfL-Cjwtxq63PqyqJ-3E9nzZcqlmnsAaWfOvjQ4Uy0MZ6d7B-tJRYE99gFZ-4uNqNumexSE0YMS0L1HmGjinhJBV_rp9dQz36dVfyl4fMZ6mV03j_o-v60p9h3ZnoPzFapPAD9XtvqfSTYTZbmlT31jbAdwl36QZG_q-ikd-FFJlTb2BqZU=

You trade 1% life regen and 40% increased physical damage (and another 12% for lost strength) for 13% attack speed (~3.5% more real damage overall after physical damage losses, not counting Anger, etc.), 1% block, 8% to avoid status ailments and a 30% chance to avoid stun. You also give up a little armor percent for a greater amount of evasion percent, though it biases you more toward evasion-based gear.

If you want to stick with Marauder, this gives up 10% life (150-200ish geared), 20 dex and a dead dual-wield node for 11% attack speed and 12% increased physical damage (+2% for strength):

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAxthYY_ZIjM89_F8_7w4nL-OfoLTzBsEEJ-2HGWwW_Et82XKprKoOFMtDGenAGlnzkFX60maeUWBPfYBWfuLjajbpNugyfjpSm4MppU4qtkFbrxjbFHWkwt7BFPZr2YY7r414Db6KAdykGSXfG_q-p25phNllTRRSR37STdXtwA9qk6yvWNtT31ivqW4yCXJsbEY1krXy_grYvbc-xq48LcT2nsUhNGDEtC9R5lb67g6jij3it9PXy0jueK7TfhutlWZNkiP2X8rp1Qz3Xh80jv_TAedMYASxvJ8=

Alternatively, you could give up those same life nodes to pick up Heart of the Oak in the Ranger area for a net loss of 4% increased life to gain 1% life regen, 30% chance to avoid stun and 15% block and stun recovery.
"
TetraStriker wrote:
Im trying this build out for my very first Marauder (Im level 32 at the moment). It seems very nice, and cool and so far Im clearing very fast with my baptism :)

I have some thoughts though according to Unwavering stance and resolute Technique:

Unwavering makes me immune to stuns, which sounds very awesome, but Im thinking about not being able to evade the enemies attacks? Wont that mess up the Iron reflexes a bit since all the evasion on your character wont count. Or is this just to make the evasion transform into armor?

And with the Resolute technique I'm wondering why you should give up crits? Is it not possible to crit with the MS in the first place and will it boost the accuracy of it without having to get more dex?

Im also a bit confused about the blood magic and such since there are some nodes with the same names as the gems, which makes me a bit unsure.

I'm very new to the game so sorry for all these questions.

Edit: Also Im planning to go for a 2h mace build, but Im saving all the block nodes, 1h mace nodes and 2h dmg nodes for last just in case. The only thing I would refund would be Unwavering stance.

US doesn't make you lose the benefits of IR since your dodge chance is only 5% with IR anyway, but it does make blinded enemies still hit you.

Crits are really only good if you spend a lot of passives and gear to improve them. That sort of build would also have to pick up accuracy so they didn't miss all the time. Resolute technique is an overall damage increase if you aren't going to do that, with the added bonus of consistency since your damage is less spiky and you don't miss.

The Blood Magic passive affects everything you do while the gem only affects what it's linked to. If you want to run skills which reserve mana such as Hatred, Herald of Ashe, etc. you'd rather use the gem so you aren't reserving life, but you can level with the passive until then. With the mana rebalancing in the last patch, we may not need BM at all now though, we'll have to see.

Keep in mind if you go 2-handed, it's going to become significantly harder to stay alive as you level than it is now. Like, way harder by the time you get to ~60 and way harder again by level 70. Without a shield, you're going to need to focus more on life and possibly armor bonuses. Not only do you lose 70-75% chance to block attacks and an easy way to blind mobs for another 50% dodge chance, but it's also going to be harder to get resists due to losing 22% from passives and whatever you might want to get on the shield itself. I'm not saying not to do it, but do recognize that it's a more difficult build to gear and play at high levels, especially as a new player.
"
O4epegb wrote:
"
Rybaka wrote:

So I've hit a bit of a gear wall in my beyond league progression and could use your help. I really don't have great damage (1.1k @ 55), but resists and survivability are fine.

RNG has been especially rough with this character, so I basically only have about 1 c to work with. I have more in other currencies, but I'm having trouble converting them in trade because the amounts are low (ex: "WTS 7 fuse for 3c, PST")

Here's my gear, just let me know where I should start - both in terms of best bang-for-the-buck items to upgrade and areas to grind. I was thinking of just farming the coast or even Hillock until I could build up a few c for a multistrike or 5-link chest or something...

YOur weapon is total trash, no offense)

I bought this for 1 chaos yesterday

I'm aware. Like I said, the RNG Gods have been cruel to this character.
"
tanis0 wrote:
"
Tyraziell wrote:

If you aren't married to Marauder, I think this is stronger:

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40AXhmO7YMILtN-PeJI7niu18u306OKG62VZgSxTGBNkiP2VvruDhjbFHWkwimlTipbr7ZBrK_nkcOGm4M26DJ-OlIyCXJsbEapbngNWK_YvTWStfL-Cjwtxq63PqyqJ-3E9nzZcqlmnsAaWfOvjQ4Uy0MZ6d7B-tJRYE99gFZ-4uNqNumexSE0YMS0L1HmGjinhJBV_rp9dQz36dVfyl4fMZ6mV03j_o-v60p9h3ZnoPzFapPAD9XtvqfSTYTZbmlT31jbAdwl36QZG_q-ikd-FFJlTb2BqZU=

You trade 1% life regen and 40% increased physical damage (and another 12% for lost strength) for 13% attack speed (~3.5% more real damage overall after physical damage losses, not counting Anger, etc.), 1% block, 8% to avoid status ailments and a 30% chance to avoid stun. You also give up a little armor percent for a greater amount of evasion percent, though it biases you more toward evasion-based gear.

If you want to stick with Marauder, this gives up 10% life (150-200ish geared), 20 dex and a dead dual-wield node for 11% attack speed and 12% increased physical damage (+2% for strength):

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAxthYY_ZIjM89_F8_7w4nL-OfoLTzBsEEJ-2HGWwW_Et82XKprKoOFMtDGenAGlnzkFX60maeUWBPfYBWfuLjajbpNugyfjpSm4MppU4qtkFbrxjbFHWkwt7BFPZr2YY7r414Db6KAdykGSXfG_q-p25phNllTRRSR37STdXtwA9qk6yvWNtT31ivqW4yCXJsbEY1krXy_grYvbc-xq48LcT2nsUhNGDEtC9R5lb67g6jij3it9PXy0jueK7TfhutlWZNkiP2X8rp1Qz3Xh80jv_TAedMYASxvJ8=

Alternatively, you could give up those same life nodes to pick up Heart of the Oak in the Ranger area for a net loss of 4% increased life to gain 1% life regen, 30% chance to avoid stun and 15% block and stun recovery.

Great suggestions, I love it!
Made some changes to the Ranger tree:
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40AXhmO7YMILtN-PeJI7niu18u306OKG62VZgSxTGBNkiP2VvruDhjbFHWkwimlTipbr7ZBrK-bgzboMn46UjIJcmxsRqlueA1Yr9i9NZK18v4KPC3Grrc-rKon7cT2fNlyqWaewBpZ86-NDhTLQxnp3sH60lFgT32AVn7i42o26Z7FITRgxLQvUeYaOKeEkFX-un11DPfp1V_KXh-v62qTwA_V7b6n0k2E2W5pU99Y20d-FFJlTSSqFm8B5__TNI6GO4TvYSEaVWSjFPbnkcOGSn2Hdmeg_MU=
Ditched the 3 armor nodes for: +8% Chaos Resistance, +2% life, +40% more mace damage (at the expense of 8% melee physical)
+6% Attack speed (at the expense of -2% block, we have 36% which is great imo), +20 Str.

Which brings our tree to a whopping +69% Attack Speed, going for full evasion gear (IR + Grace) with max block. What do you think? :)

Last edited by Tyraziell on Aug 25, 2014, 4:42:54 PM
"
tanis0 wrote:

US doesn't make you lose the benefits of IR since your dodge chance is only 5% with IR anyway, but it does make blinded enemies still hit you.

Crits are really only good if you spend a lot of passives and gear to improve them. That sort of build would also have to pick up accuracy so they didn't miss all the time. Resolute technique is an overall damage increase if you aren't going to do that, with the added bonus of consistency since your damage is less spiky and you don't miss.

The Blood Magic passive affects everything you do while the gem only affects what it's linked to. If you want to run skills which reserve mana such as Hatred, Herald of Ashe, etc. you'd rather use the gem so you aren't reserving life, but you can level with the passive until then. With the mana rebalancing in the last patch, we may not need BM at all now though, we'll have to see.

Keep in mind if you go 2-handed, it's going to become significantly harder to stay alive as you level than it is now. Like, way harder by the time you get to ~60 and way harder again by level 70. Without a shield, you're going to need to focus more on life and possibly armor bonuses. Not only do you lose 70-75% chance to block attacks and an easy way to blind mobs for another 50% dodge chance, but it's also going to be harder to get resists due to losing 22% from passives and whatever you might want to get on the shield itself. I'm not saying not to do it, but do recognize that it's a more difficult build to gear and play at high levels, especially as a new player.

Thanks a lot for the informative reply! That explained a lot of things :)

Yeah, I do understand that it might be much harder to progress with 2-h and thats one of the reason I keep it safe until I reach 45-50 or something in order to see. I do however want to try a 2-h just because It fits my playstyle more. I will def keep that in mind though, and prepare myself for some difficulty spikes. So far I'm clearing everything with ease though, but then again Im only 36.

Once again thanks for the reply!
"
Tyraziell wrote:
Great suggestions, I love it!
Made some changes to the Ranger tree:
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40AXhmO7YMILtN-PeJI7niu18u306OKG62VZgSxTGBNkiP2VvruDhjbFHWkwimlTipbr7ZBrK-bgzboMn46UjIJcmxsRqlueA1Yr9i9NZK18v4KPC3Grrc-rKon7cT2fNlyqWaewBpZ86-NDhTLQxnp3sH60lFgT32AVn7i42o26Z7FITRgxLQvUeYaOKeEkFX-un11DPfp1V_KXh-v62qTwA_V7b6n0k2E2W5pU99Y20d-FFJlTSSqFm8B5__TNI6GO4TvYSEaVWSjFPbnkcOGSn2Hdmeg_MU=
Ditched the 3 armor nodes for: +8% Chaos Resistance, +2% life, +40% more mace damage (at the expense of 8% melee physical)
+6% Attack speed (at the expense of -2% block, we have 36% which is great imo), +20 Str.

Which brings our tree to a whopping +69% Attack Speed, going for full evasion gear (IR + Grace) with max block. What do you think? :)

Barbarism is a must-take in my opinion since you are passing right by it. It would be strictly better to drop three 6% health nodes and take it, in fact. This would net +2% life, +8% fire resist, +1% max fire resist and it costs you nothing. I think I accidentally left it off my previous tree.

I'd definitely want to pick up the 2% block myself, either on the passive or from gear. I think Haku gives it as an affix but I'm not sure which gear he can apply it to, so it may or may not be possible there. At 73% block, you take 27 damage out of 100, so adding 2% means 7.5% less damage on average from any attack which can be blocked, which is huge. Blind would also proc more often if you go that route.

I like dropping the armor nodes if you want more damage. I would have recommended it myself but I thought maybe you wanted to focus on a tankier build. If you do, the armor nodes would still help you since Grace (and any other evade rating) would be affected by both the armor and evasion nodes (though only once by nodes which affect both). In other words, IR treats +armor nodes act as if they were +armor and evasion nodes.

On the other hand, the reason I didn't recommend that is because if you aren't going for an extra-tanky build, you might as well bypass the Duelist area altogether. For example, this:

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAm40AXhmO7YMILtN-PeJI7niu18u306OKG62VZgSxTGBNkiP2VvruDhjbFHWkwimlTipbr7ZBrK-bgzboMn46UjIJcmxsRqlueA1Yr9i9NZK18v4KPC3Grrc-rKon7cT2fNlyqWaewBpZ86-NDhTLQxnp3sH60lFgT32AVn7i42o26Z7FITRgxLQvUeanhJBV_rp9dQz36dVfyl4fr-uE72EhGlVko-eRw4ZKfYd2Z6D8xV4TG8hDMXTtBS1gS3rvecCHGWwW_EtgkYOxd1M7O2n-Fm8kqho4_o8=

That said, armor is slightly more valuable relative to health nodes in this patch (since base health starts higher and nodes increase it by less), so tankier isn't a bad way to go. If I didn't want to try out the increased health flask cluster, I'd probably go through the armor nodes myself but I'm also not as observant as I ought to be, so I like a littler more protection. ;)

Also, I traded out the Blunt Instrument cluster for Bloody Bludgeon above as I think it's slightly stronger if you want to spend all 5 points, but they're both really good. Either way, I'd take another 6% life node over the extra attack speed / life node in Blunt Instrument personally, though it's also a fairly close call.
Last edited by tanis0 on Aug 25, 2014, 6:46:40 PM
Guys, what do you think, which option is better: (assuming i am 2H build)

1) Spend 7 points on mana reserve nodes and take Determination, Hatred and Grace

or

2) Spend 4 points, take Hatred (or Determination), Grace, Herald of Ash and Herald of Ice.

or

3) Take Hatred (or Determination), Grace and Herald of Ash, and spend this 7 points somewhere else
Last edited by O4epegb on Aug 25, 2014, 8:51:50 PM
As far as I understand 140 % mana reserved is the most you can manage without grabbing keystones, eg hatred, purity of elements and vitality and a lvl 19 or so reduced mana. If you want to go 60/60/25 you will need to grab 1 point in reduced mana reserved so generally you would use 2 passives going to soverignty. The only exception is if your helmet allows you to use less mana eg Alphas howl.
"
Fhark wrote:
As far as I understand 140 % mana reserved is the most you can manage without grabbing keystones, eg hatred, purity of elements and vitality and a lvl 19 or so reduced mana. If you want to go 60/60/25 you will need to grab 1 point in reduced mana reserved so generally you would use 2 passives going to soverignty. The only exception is if your helmet allows you to use less mana eg Alphas howl.

So which option is better, how do you think?
None of the last builds here is using Amplify. Why? Isn't it pretty essential to molten strike ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info