1.3 The Community's Molten Strike, Face Melting Build!! 1h+shield and 2h variants available

@tanis0

No Iron Grip? or is it a waste of points?
"
O4epegb wrote:
Sorry, if this question was asked already..

How MS build work with Herald of Ash? Isnt Herald of ash is better than Hatred, with AOF?
If Hatred damage is halved then its +18% and Herald of Ash is 15% plus its igniting on kill. And we have passive with +Fire damage so it becomes even more than +15%

Which weapon is better for MS build, pure physical or half physical half elemental, for example? Damage would be same or not?

Well, both are best ideally. :) I'm putting off making that decision for my own build until I level up, but I think Grace + HoA + TS is probably best, with Blind supporting one or both of the latter. For easier content (or in a group where someone is already running Grace), you could drop Grace for Hatred (or Anger post AoF).

"
Logic_ wrote:
@tanis0

No Iron Grip? or is it a waste of points?

From one of my posts on the last page:

"I was able to eke out quite a bit more damage on my Ranger build. Turns out ditching Iron Grip altogether in favor of the Bonebreaker cluster by Resolute Technique adds about 7.5% more damage."

The caveat to that is that all of my work is theorycraft. If you see advice from people with more experience who have considered my work and don't agree, I'd listen to them. :) I'm also very interested to see the Shadow build from Kartikdon as I make no claims that my build is optimal.
"
"I was able to eke out quite a bit more damage on my Ranger build. Turns out ditching Iron Grip altogether in favor of the Bonebreaker cluster by Resolute Technique adds about 7.5% more damage."

Well looking at the passive description of Iron grip it adds damage to your projectile attack, thats not going to be shown on the ttdps (tooltip dps). Thats not to say bonebreaker isnt a great group of passives. I recently respecced following a different tree and my tooltip dps was up to 16000 but my damage wasnt all that great, thats the problem with nodes like melee physical, it doesnt scale into your projectiles , melee with 1 handed weapons does (I think).
So 2 exalts worth of regrets later im back to the old tree but still going 3 60% auras (21000 armour is to good for me to pass up at the moment). Hoa and Hoi are looking good and I may play with 1 of those + ts and determination + grace, Gl and have fun.
Just want to remind everyone that Molten Strike is NOT a tooltip based skill. Use the provided damage calculators if you want to know your true damage. You want to focus on boosting the damage of your projectiles and not your initial hit.
Last edited by Kartikdon on Aug 23, 2014, 7:59:06 PM
(Hopefully this hasn't been asked before)

Hello, after being fairly disappointed with the RF build, I was able to re-roll into a molten strike marauder thanks to the new patch. The build has been great fun, but, I am considering a shield-less build.

Namely one that features these three items(mainly the infernal sword):

Obviously, the implicit passive is wasted since I am still using resolute technique. Due to the infernal sword's lack of any pDPS(or any non-fire DPS for that matter) I could drop the AoF route while still maintaining purely fire damage, and drop pDPS and block nodes, and take more fire damage related nodes, and find another way of becoming beefier. My main concern is tanking capabilities. (note that I'd already spec'd into pDPS and the AoF route by the time I found the infernal sword so I have a fair amount of wasted points) I am in no way a squish but I am not immortal either. I was wondering how I could compensate for the lack of block nodes and the shield and all that(though I do realize I may never be quite as tanky). I do have the lightning coil so I was considering picking up some mana reservation nodes and running purity of lightning as well as maxing out my armor values through the passive tree, items, and determination/grace.

Disclaimer: I have not yet fully attempted to play around the tree in the builder which is something I intend on doing first something in the morning, good night folks!
I would personally drop the oro's and use a Kaom's Primacy Karui Chopper, high physical dps + culling strike(about 5c for a 210% +physical damage). I did a quick test with a koams I have 10260 tooltip dps, with the oro's 8904. The oro's just doesn't scale very well with molten strike as far as I can see. 2 handed weapons seem very expensive to get something really good.
Last edited by Fhark on Aug 24, 2014, 3:01:47 AM
Just to clarify, I have not been using tooltip damage nor have I been optimizing for the initial hit over projectiles. :) I've been using the first spreadsheet linked from the OP and assuming Doryani's Catalyst and 100 strength from gear. You can spend 5 nodes on 40 Strength + Iron Grip, or you can spend 5 nodes on the Bonebreaker cluster for +87% physical damage. I don't have the math in front of me, but I'm almost certain both the melee and projectile portions increased in damage with Bonebreaker. Based on my results, I think you'd have to stack an impractical amount of strength to make Iron Grip worth taking unless you are passing right by it anyway or you have already exhausted all better damage options. Feel free to run the numbers yourself and let me know if you get a different result.

Please note that Bonebreaker is NOT melee physical -- it is increased physical damage with maces, and that DOES scale projectiles.
"
Fhark wrote:
I would personally drop the oro's and use a Kaom's Primacy Karui Chopper, high physical dps + culling strike(about 5c for a 210% +physical damage). I did a quick test with a koams I have 10260 tooltip dps, with the oro's 8904. The oro's just doesn't scale very well with molten strike as far as I can see. 2 handed weapons seem very expensive to get something really good.

Isn't there huge bias since you probably took so many pDPS nodes and the AoF(if u did), both of which do not add anything to the oro's DPS, but do so the kaoms? I will attempt to build a tree now and post it shortly.
Well i dont run aof and all my melee physical are 1 handed so they wouldn't scale on either I don't think. I thought about it though and tried with anger up, kaoms 9116, oros 11007 so something there. Its a fascinating weapon by all means spec into it, personally I would use a tree which I could refund passive nodes to get back to the more original build.
Tanis
"
You can spend 5 nodes on 40 Strength + Iron Grip, or you can spend 5 nodes on the Bonebreaker cluster for +87% physical damage.
I use a slightly different tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecEswUtBjkUTRRSFHUU9hcvGS4aOBpVIq8nLyftKaUyfjKJNI426DhTOlI9_Ed-Sn1OKk99UWBT31XWVvpXDVfiWGNY21nzW69fP2BLYSFko2TnZU1mnmegapNr2WwWbmlyqXTtdud35XnAeu982X7igFaApIM4hNmE74Y7hxmHdozPkFWbg57NoLSiAKTCpzCnhKmVrKqsr7T5tkG8n76nwA_AGsEEw4bG2NIh0k3V7dlh3B3dDeOf55HsOO7Z7w7vfPAf8wb2SPrS-6r8S_zF_9M=
so its only 2 points saved. However with your ranger tree it seems pretty good and i think youve made the right call. All the tweaking is fascinating good luck.
Last edited by Fhark on Aug 24, 2014, 1:38:00 PM
is this viable for beyond league? like to map do stuff in merc, i ask cause this is the first time i hit cruel in hardcore and it is with my molten striker, and i dont want him to die :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info