1.3 The Community's Molten Strike, Face Melting Build!! 1h+shield and 2h variants available

"
Clean wrote:
"
Dmillz wrote:
I would not use a BoR with Molten Strike. Melee Physical Damage gem is not very good with Molten Strike.

How is Melee Physical Damage not good with Molten Strike?

It increases the base damage, off of which the damage for the projectiles is calculated, therefore impacting both the initial hit and subsequent fire balls.

Maybe I am just not reading it correctly?

No it doesn't. It increases the melee damage of the initial hit ONLY, and does not scale the damage of the projectiles (the same way lightning strike works). (I am almost 100% on this, trying to get confirmation)
IGN: Dmillz
after Dmillz mentioned it earlier today I looked into some posts. Ran across one from mark at GGG and he stated that melee phys damage gem would not affect the projectile damage. Also to confirm I just tested this for about 20 mins. Gather a mob or two, and attack the air so only the fireballs would strike. No difference in damage for the projectiles.

@Dmillz its hard to say if the projectiles do both phys, fire, or both. We really only have the gem description to go off of and from reading it I want to say the projectiles are 100% fire. How does lightning strike work in this fashion? GGG get in here and give us a detailed run down :P
Thanks for the reply on Melee Physical. The description on MS is very misleading then.

Could you test the projectiles being fire damage by gemming for ignite and seeing if it procs?
The projectiles do ignite when crit or change to ignite procs, though I didn't find the burn to be anything to write home about.
I was going to make an arc templar build until I saw this new Molten Strike gem. At this point I want to try making a similar build with a templar. Would you suggest following your tree but obviously with a different starting point or should I take advantage of the fire damage nodes nearby? I noticed that most of this discussion has been about the physical damage side, anyone done any experients with stacking fire damage?
Oh and another question, what weapons are you using for your builds?
Hi Stuvenator,

Templar would be an excellent choice, so would duelist. Cant go wrong with any of the three starting areas.

The idea of this build is to really take full advantage of the projectiles. Why we threw conc. effect gem and point blank passive. A high physical damage weapon is nice because it boosts added fire, which again scales with WED and is added to your projectiles. Physical damage also scales hatred aura and again is applied to your projectiles. An elemental version would be viable for sure, as strong probably not. From my experience with elemental builds lately they really fall short vs physical based builds.

As far as weapons, take your pick. I highly recommend using Geophri's Baptism at 27 through your 50's. very powerful weapon and is very very cheap to purchase. 1h or 2h it doesn't matter. You can easily take up shields if you like, all the nodes are right there for the picking.

End game weapons, I haven't decided. Since we only need a 5L or 6L chest and we have zero specific weapon nodes, this leaves us very open to pick whatever we want. As long as you can hit things with it and it has good physical damage, it will work :)
CACRCASS JACK sounds good, but has anyone thought about how hard it would be to get it to roll 5 red and a Blue? Or if you get a 5L 4 Red and a Blue???
"
shahmat1972 wrote:
CACRCASS JACK sounds good, but has anyone thought about how hard it would be to get it to roll 5 red and a Blue? Or if you get a 5L 4 Red and a Blue???

One reason it isn't a requirement :)
"
Kartikdon wrote:
after Dmillz mentioned it earlier today I looked into some posts. Ran across one from mark at GGG and he stated that melee phys damage gem would not affect the projectile damage. Also to confirm I just tested this for about 20 mins. Gather a mob or two, and attack the air so only the fireballs would strike. No difference in damage for the projectiles.

@Dmillz its hard to say if the projectiles do both phys, fire, or both. We really only have the gem description to go off of and from reading it I want to say the projectiles are 100% fire. How does lightning strike work in this fashion? GGG get in here and give us a detailed run down :P

AHA I think I got it, this is Lightning Strike:
"
The Lightning Strike skill does two completely separate things simultaneously, a melee attack (which deals 120% of the base damage, and of which 50% of the physical damage is converted to lightning damage), and a ranged attack (which shoots 3 projectiles, which deal 1.2 * 0.7 = 84% of the base damage of the attack each, and of which 50% of the physical damage is converted to lightning damage

So it works how I thought it did. This means the best way to scale the damage is to scale your physical damage, and that elemental nodes while good, need to provide a bigger % bonus to be as good as a physical node.
IGN: Dmillz

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info