[Official] WINE info thread

"
tramshed wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
winetricks directx9 vcrun2010 riched20 gets the job done in as few keystrokes as possible. I don't see that there is any downside. Or any upside for other approaches at this time. There is no way to run the game without font issues now but it is rather minor.

the entire directx9 package is way overkill, you shouldnt need it.

Overkill yes but there is no harm in installing it (now) as far as I can tell and it may prevent future issues.
installing the full dx9 package breaks the game for me
literaly. It shits out on stupid.
HAIL SATAN!
"
ionface wrote:
I'm now working with only winetricks -q vcrun2010 d3dx9_36 d3dx9_42 d3dcompiler_43 riched20, but I have the glitchy font problem again. This was fixed before by using a clean wine prefix, this is as clean as I can get it. What in the the native syswow64\d3dx9_42.dll corrupts fonts?

Are these packages needed exactly? I was able to start up PoE a little while ago, and the only thing i have in my prefix is dotnet20, and that was for something totally unrelated lol.

I do have the font problem though, but it hasn't really bothered me enough to go try to fix it.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
I ended up fixing the font corruption for myself, though I'm not exactly sure what did it.

I'm pretty sure it's either installing usp10 with winetricks or running a Packcheck. If anyone is willing, please try those one at a time to see if either work.

To do so quickly, when you start up the game the "Loading..." text on the bottom should be a good indicator.
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:
I ended up fixing the font corruption for myself, though I'm not exactly sure what did it.

I'm pretty sure it's either installing usp10 with winetricks or running a Packcheck. If anyone is willing, please try those one at a time to see if either work.

To do so quickly, when you start up the game the "Loading..." text on the bottom should be a good indicator.

Neither usp10 nor Packcheck solve the issue for me. Fortunately, my font issue is a minor one, just the italic text on skill gems for the most part. It's still readable.
"
tramshed wrote:
installing the full dx9 package breaks the game for me
literaly. It shits out on stupid.

That's strange as a fresh PlayOnLinux prefix should level the playing field pretty well across systems. Works perfectly for me.

I did notice some pretty low single digit framerates last night in Lunaris though, in a party. I don't recall it being that slow.
Working install:
"
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine.PathOfExile winetricks -q vcrun2010 d3dx9_36 d3dx9_42 riched20
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine.PathOfExile winetricks -q directx9
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine.PathOfExile WINEDEBUG=-all <Location of PathOfExile.exe>

This makes the game work in vanilla wine. Yes, directx9 is overkill and a BAD idea (notice this mess is contained in it's own prefix).

NEW Issues this patch/fix:
1) Fonts, blarg!
2) Framerate and latency issues (related and inversely proportional, interesting, but not fun).

I did try snagging d3dx9_42.dll files from the new working prefix and slapping them in a previously working, more sane prefix (ie the same, just without the directx9 shotgun fix).
Also tried the openal32 override.
No luck : (
"
iao wrote:

Loading has always looked right, but as soon as I get to the login screen, I notice the font issue. I was not able to get it fixed doing any of the supposed "Fixes". I believe it is related to the d3dx9_42.dll because that was not required before (I was running d3dx9_36 fine before patch), but as soon as I update to d3dx9_42 I believe the font issue returns. I believe this is also why running the installer msi also caused the font problem in the past since it runs dxsetup which installs d3dx9_42 (and _43)... and why we were able to get around it using a "copy" of the files without running the installer... since originally, you only needed d3dx9_36.

Unfortunately, alpha was also updated, so I'm not able to play with a proper-working-version and narrow down the exact cause. Both the alpha and released versions require these changes to work properly.
"
Psilimit wrote:
Working install:
"
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine.PathOfExile winetricks -q vcrun2010 d3dx9_36 d3dx9_42 riched20
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine.PathOfExile winetricks -q directx9
WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine.PathOfExile WINEDEBUG=-all <Location of PathOfExile.exe>

This makes the game work in vanilla wine. Yes, directx9 is overkill and a BAD idea (notice this mess is contained in it's own prefix).

NEW Issues this patch/fix:
1) Fonts, blarg!
2) Framerate and latency issues (related and inversely proportional, interesting, but not fun).

I did try snagging d3dx9_42.dll files from the new working prefix and slapping them in a previously working, more sane prefix (ie the same, just without the directx9 shotgun fix).
Also tried the openal32 override.
No luck : (

If you feel the full dx package is a bad idea, you can use:

winetricks -q vcrun2010 d3dx9_42 d3dcompiler_43 riched20

That's what I'm running now and trying to see if there is anby difference at all between that and the full dx.

BTW, Openal is no longer required at least with the recommended wine version 1.5.28-PathOfExile available in PlayOnLinux. Not sure if it's due to the PoE patch or the patched version of wine. In any case, it's not needed now.
"
tramshed wrote:
I dont believe 36 is needed anymore.

Ahh good spot, I was toggling this on and off before finding the d3dcompiler dll, must have forgotten to try without that one native. Updated my prefix and signature to match.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info