[Official] WINE info thread

Possibly interesting lines from a debug log (if anyone knows what they mean, please do tell):

fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x110000 0 0x32fdc8 4
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32e780,0x00000000), stub!

fixme:d3d:swapchain_init The application requested more than one back buffer, this is not properly supported.
Please configure the application to use double buffering (1 back buffer) if possible.

err:d3d:context_create wglSwapIntervalEXT failed to set swap interval 0 for context 0x18cfc0, last error 0x591

fixme:d3d9:Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9 stub
fixme:d3d:resource_check_usage Unhandled usage flags 0x8.
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 59 (SPI_SETSTICKYKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 53 (SPI_SETTOGGLEKEYS)
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 51 (SPI_SETFILTERKEYS)

err:winediag:shader_generate_glsl_declarations The hardware does not support enough uniform components to run this shader, it may not render correctly.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jan 30, 2013, 3:27:33 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
apocolypse600 wrote:
For those of you with crashes on those skills, what version of OpenAL are you using? I've got 1.14, and I seem to remember it being an issue with an earlier version (read earlier in this thread about that).

The version of the OpenAL32 dll file in the PoE directory is 6.14.357.25

I noticed the version of the dll in Creative's download (OpenAL 2.0.7.0) is 6.14.357.24 (one iteration older).

Since my understanding is that this dll is related to audio rather than video, I'll try to disable sound altogether tomorrow and see if that helps. If nothing else to eliminate that as a factor in the burning arrow problem (I suspect this is a video issue anyway).

Oh, I see, you were referring to the OpenAL package on Linux, not the dll file in the PoE folder.

In that case, I have version 1.13 of the libopenal1 package.
Good news! I have a FIX (no credit to me, it's all the work of others) for the burning arrow crash. It was the OpenAL.

Here is a newbie friendly guide I put together to help someone in the future:

- In PlayOnLinux click "configure", then click on the name of the virtual drive that you have PoE on.

- Click the "Wine" tab.

- Next, click "configure wine". (Note that, if you don't have PlayOnLinux, just wine, you can get to this step by simply typing "winecfg" (without the quotes) into a terminal.)

- When the Wine configuration opens as a new window, click the "Libraries" tab.

- Under "New override for library" select "openal32" and click "add".

- "openal32 (native, builtin)" will now appear in the "Existing overrides" box.

- Click apply and OK.

That's it!
Last edited by Sovyn on Feb 1, 2013, 4:43:40 PM
"
Drakier wrote:
"
kotoroshinoto wrote:
Allocating space step takes an ungodly long time. Should probably make it detect when its on wine and skip that step OR use an optimized function that works better on EXT4.

It seemed to be bad for me only on the initial load up, and after major patches. With all the a/b/c/d whatever patches we've had since Open Beta, I haven't really had much issues with the allocation or the update. In fact, the last update took only about 30 seconds total on my system.

well thats the point, the initial allocation has been running for nearly 4 hours already. Its absurd.

"
Sovyn wrote:
Good news! I have a FIX (no credit to me, it's all the work of others) for the burning arrow crash. It was the OpenAL.

- In PlayOnLinux click "configure", then click on the name of the virtual drive that you have PoE on.

- Click the "Wine" tab.

- Next, click "configure wine".

- Click apply and OK.

That's it!

I thought this has to be set to even make game start... (at least it was needed before)
"
julus wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

- Click the "Wine" tab.

- Next, click "configure wine".

- Click apply and OK.

That's it!

I thought this has to be set to even make game start... (at least it was needed before)

Not for me - I got all the way to the Rocky Climb before it crashed (burning arrow cast by the archers there).
So I am now past the Warden. I am playing with:

winetricks sound=alsa

and wine Client.exe --nosound

back to highest details. dunno why but Burning Arrows don't crash my client anymore.
"
haplo602 wrote:
So I am now past the Warden. I am playing with:

winetricks sound=alsa

and wine Client.exe --nosound

back to highest details. dunno why but Burning Arrows don't crash my client anymore.

Just add the openal to override, and you can disable that --nosound flag..
So, is there any ideas as to what I could do to get more performance?

I have a Radeon HD 7850 GPU (can play PoE on highest without any issue on Windows), and a Phenom II X4 @ 3.3GHz. I have 8GB of RAM (7.8 usable) also.

On Kubuntu + Wine (both stable 1.4 and 1.5.22), in the town of Act 3, I get 30-40FPS, no matter what in-game settings are. Outside of town, the highest I've seen was 70 (when there was no nearby monsters or other players), but during heavy combat, FPS would go between 20-30, and the game would pause when loading new assets (I understand this will happen unless GLSL is disabled).

Edit: In Windows, I would get 100+ FPS (vsync off) most, if not all the time, with no pausing on new assets.

I can't run with GLSL disabled (get shader corruption at login screen, and crash due to vertex shaders if I try to play a character) I understand this is an AMD/ATI-specific issue.

Here is exactly everything I do:

1. Install Wine
2. Create a clean WINEARCH=win32 prefix
3. Grab the PoE installer
4. Install PoE
5. Transfer over the PoE folder that I had backed up from a Windows install
6. Start PoE

When doing that on Wine 1.4, there is no problem. On Wine 1.5.22, the main menu has some shader flickering (looks as if Post Processing is flickering on and off). In any case, both versions of Wine will let me enter in-game, and both Wine versions have no difference in FPS.

With Wine 1.4, PoE sees my GPU as a Radeon HD 3200, whereas with Wine 1.5.22 shows the GPU as 7800 Series. I don't think this really matters much since there's no performance difference...

With Kubuntu, I have the Compositing type set to XRender (not OpenGL) and the Qt graphics system set to Native (other option is Raster) when it comes to Desktop Effects. Vsync is Always off from CCC, and it's set from the Administrative panel. I've tried 13.1 and 13.2 (both from AMD and Ubuntu's xorg-edgers PPA) and have had 0 performance difference.

I do absolutely nothing else with Wine other than what I specified above. I don't install vc redistributables, or DirectX, or even mess with OpenAL (from what I understand, all that is only needed if you can't even start the game aside from OpenAL, but I can start it just fine). Nothing is messed with with Winetricks.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
Last edited by Espionage724 on Jan 30, 2013, 8:05:37 PM
OpenAL is needed to prevent crash with burning/lightning arrow.
AFAIK vsync does not work in Wine at all = always off no matter what system settings
The stuttering (lags) when encountering rares/casting spells is known to developers and they promised they will preload all assets when entering map and not load it during battle (because it also happens on some windows configuration)
Disabling GLSL maybe is a solution, but using ARB shaders is AFAIK obsolete, and not recommended.

When Wine1.4 was released, Radeon 7XXX wasn't around, this is the reason of wrong detection.

In other words, there is nothing much more to do on the wine side, just wait for devs to fix their issues with game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info