[Official] WINE info thread

Not much happening on the wine forum lately, thought i might add something. For those waiting for open, running 12.04 x64 wine from repositories. Everything is working good, dont forget openAL you wont have an issue. If you have older graphics card turn stuff off in options mainly shading, put up with the install process of allocating space this can take a while (hours, depending on hardware). But the wait is worth while. Runs perfectly fully updated to latest kernal, have run to end of act 2 numerous times fill screen 1650x1050 no issues at all. Use either wine direct or POE either works. Happy gaming
Hey guys,
is there a way to reduce the loading screen for areas ? maybe some graphic configuration i dont know about ?
3.1 is great really stable for me so far but the loading screens for each new area while playing sometimes take like 2 minutes for me.

thanks in advance and merry christmas !

I tried searching but I couldn't find anything about the issue i'm having.

It seems that my frame rate is capped at 30fps even when I have vsync disabled. Anyone having this issue / have a solution?
"
ionface wrote:
"
Iceytiger wrote:

That resolution thing is a bug with windowed mode not working with resizing then closing from the WM. From http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/40655/page/1#p547389:

"
ionface wrote:
My resolution settings are stored in
~/.wine/drive_c/users/${USER}/My\ Documents/My\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile/production_Config.ini

Confirmed. In windowed mode, any resolution manipulations from the WM (stretching it out from the corner) then exiting the client by closing the window (with the the top-corner "x" usually) will set the saved resolution as 0x0 (yes custom, but not working like Windowed Fullscreen does).

Just go to ~/My Games and change the resolution in the ini file.

For some reason this didn't really fix it for me (LM14, Nvidia, Crossover), no matter which values I put into the .ini, the window does get a little bigger but only to something like 640x480 and the fonts/graphics are stretched and I can't type in username/pw or press any buttons.

Any ideas?
"
jb55 wrote:

It seems that my frame rate is capped at 30fps even when I have vsync disabled. Anyone having this issue / have a solution?

Don't trust nvidia-settings? Extra emphasis on my solution.

"
ionface wrote:
VSync was stuck on (60FPS normally, dips caused it to go to 30FPS) even though I had "Sync to VBlank" disabled in my nvidia 310.19 nvidia-settings.

From the nvidia-settings, I enabled VBlank, then disabled it, and suddenly PoE was back to the normal spikey 70FPS that my card can muster.
"
blackspiral wrote:
Hey guys,
is there a way to reduce the loading screen for areas ? maybe some graphic configuration i dont know about ?
3.1 is great really stable for me so far but the loading screens for each new area while playing sometimes take like 2 minutes for me.

thanks in advance and merry christmas !

If you have plenty of RAM (8GB is enough), you can try a ramdisk to shorten those loading delays a tad.

mount -t tmpfs -o user,size=6G,exec none "/mnt/ramdisk"
This creates a 6GB ramdisk mounted on /mnt/ramdisk. The current size of the beta Content.ggpk is 5.3GB, so 6G is enough memory, but the file's size might shrink or grow a great deal during the next few months.

Line from /etc/fstab with the same settings:
tmpfs /mnt/ramdisk tmpfs noauto,user,size=6G,exec 0 0

Now it's important that you have the files on the hard disk, not just in the ramdisk, so COPY the game file/s over to the ramdisk, and then link to them or move your wine drive or something in order to use them.

I only have Content.ggpk stuffed in my ramdisk, it gets a symlink in the PoE directory, but you could relocate the whole 6.2Gig game to RAM if you felt like it and had the space.

It takes a minute to set up, but then that's why we have scripting languages like bash, isn't it?

Keep in mind that if you make any changes to the files in the RAM disk, they will not automatically be copied to the old files on the hard disk. If the machine is powered off, everything in RAM will be lost. So if you get a game update, you should overwrite the old file with the ramdisk's copy before shutting off the RAM.
Last edited by ionface on Dec 30, 2012, 6:01:19 AM
"
ionface wrote:
Fonts being glitchy is related to how wine moves windows dlls in memory, and either the buffer overflow technology in the hardware, or prelinking. I don't have prelink, and an Intel processor (with the execution shield called "eXecution-Disabled" XD-bit) so at the expense of some anti-buffer-overflow security, I now have non-messed up fonts in this game in wine. Just had to get in the advanced options of my BIOS to toggle XD-bit off.

Sweet.

I updated my BIOS and upgraded the CPU a while ago and this XD-bit protection no longer messes up the text.
Last edited by ionface on Dec 30, 2012, 5:16:23 AM
"
jlow wrote:
For some reason this didn't really fix it for me (LM14, Nvidia, Crossover), no matter which values I put into the .ini, the window does get a little bigger but only to something like 640x480 and the fonts/graphics are stretched and I can't type in username/pw or press any buttons.

Any ideas?

if you're editing the correct My\ Documents/My\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile/production_Config.ini, make sure the game is closed before you save it, that way it doesn't try to write the bad resolution again.

This means windowed mode:
Spoiler
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=false
fullscreen=false

Notice height is before width, I'm not sure why that is, but it's made me type messed up resolutions before!
Spoiler
resolution_height=768
resolution_width=1024

Last edited by ionface on Dec 30, 2012, 6:03:59 AM
"
ionface wrote:
"
jb55 wrote:

Don't trust nvidia-settings? Extra emphasis on my solution.

"
ionface wrote:
VSync was stuck on (60FPS normally, dips caused it to go to 30FPS) even though I had "Sync to VBlank" disabled in my nvidia 310.19 nvidia-settings.

From the nvidia-settings, I enabled VBlank, then disabled it, and suddenly PoE was back to the normal spikey 70FPS that my card can muster.

Hmm turning it on and off seemed to work, thanks. Still have spikey FPS like you said though, even though on windows my card could handle the game at full settings no problem. It drops to like 10 fps when I walk across the screen at the lowest settings. Sigh.
That is the drivers fault most likely. The newer linux drivers have improved FPS quite a bit, although they are not proven stable. I have a fairly weak budget video card, so my 70FPS average is fine.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info