[Official] WINE info thread

Hehe, my first thought was "Why does he or her write whine without h?" :-P

And nothing about wine... Are there good red or white wines in new zealand? :-)
Große deutsche Community mit TS, Forum und Infos gesucht? -> http://www.exiled.eu/
"
Drakier wrote:
"
julus wrote:
Excellent, thank you, I will get to regression test when I came back from vacation.

No problem. I'd like to point out that the "load" issue with 1.5.8 wasn't my imagination. It took significantly longer to get into the first zone and past the character select screen in 1.5.8 and if 1.5.7 were to load, I feel it would be the same problem.

So while there is an issue with the memory leak between 1.5.8 and 1.5.9, I feel there is something else dealing with the load times between 1.5.6 and 1.5.8 (probably between 1.5.6 and 1.5.7)

In my tests with 1.5.6, after selecting my character it took less than 15 seconds to get to the loading screen for the zone, and into the actual game. When I performed the test with 1.5.8 it took closer to 60 seconds to get into the first zone once I clicked my character, and then loading between zones took around 5-10 seconds.

Well, I can't test loading times on OSX as they are screwed by osx kernel whatever the wine version is , and also are causing stuttering when encountering rares or casting the spell for first time :(
Technically, wierd Darwin does Copy-on-write immediately when mmap() with MAP_PRIVATE flag is issued. It is not affecting every game, but most of them are.

Here are test of osx load times (wineCX 11.2 - crossover version of wine 1.4), I7 3.2ghz quad core, Radeon 6750M, 16GB ram
------------------------------
launching - 68s
Lyonel watch - 12s
the prison (waypoint) - 9s
the rocky climb - 15s
Lyonel watch (portal) - 7s
the rocky climb (portal) - 1s
Lyonel watch (portal) - 2s
the rocky climb (portal) - 1s
the prison - 12s
------------------------------
I wasn't even including the "launch" time in any of my tests, because that always takes a super ridiculous time. I usually start the launch.. go take a restroom break, get a small snack, get a drink, wander back to my PC and then it might just be getting in to the login screen.

I generally refer to the loading performance from when I hit the "Login" screen. In 1.5.6 I am able to click Login, get almost immediately to the "Character" screen, then once I click my character, I get a 5-10 delay or so to get into the zone and start moving around. Swapping between zones from there is usually pretty quick.

The difference from there is I think 1.5.7 introduced something which causes the deserialize problem and increases the load times for at least the first load (the character select screen, and into the first zone after selecting character).

I see this problem with all the versions I tested after 1.5.6. 1.5.9 and 1.5.12 which have the memory leak problem I believe also have the load speed problem. They may somehow be inter-related, but I wasn't going to go as far as to say they for sure are connected, because I don't think they're identical since I get the load issue in 1.5.7/1.5.8 but not the memory leak crash issue.

Maybe I should use a stopwatch and time my various encounters just to have the data in case it is needed at a later date.... or I could just wait and see if it would be helpful, then perform the tests like I did with the Wine Version test earlier.
Last edited by Drakier on Jan 17, 2013, 6:39:24 PM
1.5.7:
Loading into game took just under 4 minutes. 3 minutes and 55 seconds to be more precise (235 seconds)
Loading from Character Select into the starting zone initially timed out, but on my second attempt took 34 seconds.

The deserialise error didn't happen the first time, but I was able to get it again and it has a dialog which says: "Exception: Unable to deserialise packet with pid 226" (although the pid changes)

After I click OK, I get a "Runtime Error! Program: This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." dialog.

the Wine debug output doesn't really have anything in it except: "AL lib: ReleaseALC: 1 device not closed" which I'm not sure if it is related or not.

1.5.6:
Loading into game: 67 seconds
Loading from Character Select: 10 seconds
Loading from Starting Zone to The Prison (waypoint): 8 seconds

I'm gonna stick to 1.5.6 for now.
Using POL w/ Wine 1.4 or 1.5.6:

Starting area runs smoothly, so does Lioneyes Watch
When try to enter Terraces i get this in the debugger:

Spoiler

*** glibc detected *** Client.exe: malloc(): memory corruption: 0xe9898040 ***

followed by this backtrace

Spoiler
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(+0x70f01)[0xf7560f01]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(+0x73ce4)[0xf7563ce4]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_malloc+0x5c)[0xf75658ec]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(+0x9bd77)[0xf758bd77]
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(opendir+0x3a)[0xf758be5a]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so[0x7bc383eb]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so[0x7bc38b0e]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so(wine_nt_to_unix_file_name+0x5ea)[0x7bc396aa]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so[0x7bc3a0b3]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so[0x7bc44482]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so(NtCreateFile+0x4f)[0x7bc4472f]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so(CreateFileW+0x5b6)[0x7b83f586]
[0x55407f]
[0x5590c5]
[0x55913d]
[0x82b2f3]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so[0x7b85c53c]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/kernel32.dll.so[0x7b85fadb]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so[0x7bc716d0]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so(call_thread_func+0x7d)[0x7bc7192d]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so[0x7bc716ae]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/wine/ntdll.dll.so[0x7bc4c50e]
/home/mrduncalau/.PlayOnLinux//wine/linux-x86/1.5.6/lib/libwine.so.1(+0x8d0d)[0xf7691d0d]

this happens regardless of --nosound or -gc 1 arguments.
With sound on I hear the Seagulls after about 5-15 seconds of loading.
My memory usage and swap usage is no where near full.
ran PackCheck.exe between tries, reported no problem.

From the memorytrace the most recent call is to:
"[...]/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/pathofexile/drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile/vorbisfile.dll"

In winecfg - Libraries: *openal32 (native) is set

And like i said whether i have --nosound or not, i get same result with the exclusion of calls to OpenAL32.dll in the memory trace :/

Might my libc6 not be operating correctly? vorbis? openal32? Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by promega on Jan 18, 2013, 2:06:04 AM
What are the specs of your system? How much RAM do you have, etc?

I set up my system using the exact walk-through at the post on page 32.

I am running Debian sid amd64, so I pretty much followed the walk-through step by step except that the walk-through doesn't mention installing different versions of wine. That was my very first step once I got PlayOnLinux installed before I added the game. I downloaded the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the wine I planned on using (1.4.1, 1.5.6, 1.5.21, etc) Then once I got all the wine versions installed (both 32 and 64 bits) then I followed the walk-through pretty much exactly to get PoE installed and running.

I did not do any openal32 stuff or really change anything there. After I had PoE working, I did tweak my config a couple of times to add "-gc 2" as an argument, and I also set my Video Memory to 2GB since that's what my card uses, and I set GLSL to disabled as I've read in many places it can cause issues, and PoE seems to run fine without it.

Hopefully you can get it working. Good luck!
"
promega wrote:

wine glibc detected malloc memory corruption
Might my libc6 not be operating correctly? vorbis? openal32? Anyone have any ideas?

I'd suggest following one of the workarounds here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79859

Seems to be some multiarch issues in debian based distros.
"
ionface wrote:
"
promega wrote:

wine glibc detected malloc memory corruption

I'd suggest following one of the workarounds here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=79859

Seems to be some multiarch issues in debian based distros.

that link doesn't work.

Currently working on the problem:
Did a dist-upgrade about a month ago (squeeze to wheezy) to make steamforlinux play ball the easiest way possible. But, not surprisingly, my system appears to be an architecturally challenged state (despite not having problems in steam games) but i should be able to clean it up, and fingers crossed that solves the problem, or at least narrows it down.
Wish me luck with this, could get messy lol.

Thanks anyway, if you have a fixed link wouldn't mind checking it out tho.

UPDATE:
Yeap i think its time just for a fresh install of Debian haha, way too much messing around this past year. nvm
Last edited by promega on Jan 19, 2013, 5:04:36 AM
"
promega wrote:
Yeap i think its time just for a fresh install of Debian haha, way too much messing around this past year. nvm

If you're going about a fresh install, and care about putting on the "latest software" might I recommend going to SID as well? I run Aptosid which is basically sid with some fix/blocks in place by aptosid to try to prevent known breaking changes from being introduced. It uses the same main repos as the normal sid debian distribution, but adds a layer on top to block known broken packages.

So far I've been impressed with it, and had very few problems that were not of my own making. It allows me to keep up to date on the latest software, etc and really seems pretty stable to me.

The only recommendation I have is it's probably not a good idea to update the full distro daily (even though you could because new fixes are being released daily) but I generally check them so I know what's out there. I use Update Manager to selectively install updates. Then once I know what is there, I generally install most of them the same day, unless it is a Kernel update or an NVIDIA driver update. Those are generally the 2 updates that have the potential to break the most stuff or want me to reboot, so I wait a couple of days on those to see if they change the version. If it sits for about a week and there is no version change, then I install it.

Good luck to you and I hope you get it all working so you can play this fabulous game!
After playing for 10-15 minutes, the game always crashes/hangs with the following error. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000018 at address 0x7e32997a (thread 0009), starting debugger...
wine client error:9: read: Bad address err:seh:raise_exception Exception frame is not in stack limits => unable to dispatch exception.
wine client error:9: write: Bad file descriptor

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info