[Official] WINE info thread

I finally managed to glean enough hints from Wine's logs to figure out the patches needed to make the game work. Besides the CoInitialize patch I also had to apply windowscodecs-* from wine-staging to get past the black screen on startup. While testing things I also applied d3d11-Deferred_Context to make the error with Wine's builtin D3D 11 go away, but that's probably not necessary with DXVK.

The game now works and performance is much better than with DX9. I was even able to complete an abyss in a low-tier map; the last time I tried one it sent my framerate to hell and then got away when I struggled to kill the monsters. Hopefully it is also more stable, but I didn't have enough time to really stress it out tonight.

Why the Lutris install didn't work like it does for many others is a mystery.

Edit: There's one problem which didn't appear on the DX9 version: the Atlas screen background is blank, as if it wasn't explored at all. Maps do show up though.
Last edited by databeaver on Aug 22, 2018, 6:50:19 PM
Can confirm for me after spending (hours lol) getting DX11 working with PoE/Wine on Arch Linux, I compiled and installed Wine 3.6 staging with PoE DX11 patch from AUR pkg wine-staging-pba-git. No launching crashes anymore (no more WIC factory errors & font errors).
DXVK/DX11 finally working! I also learned a lot in the process (never compiled wine before)

Arch w/ nvidia driver & Vulcan (GTX 760)
Thanks to the info on this forum for getting it working.
Last edited by desecrated33 on Aug 23, 2018, 12:55:41 AM
It appears that the placeholder shaders hack is what's causing the atlas to appear unexplored. Removing or disabling it fixes the atlas, at the cost of pipeline compilation stuttering at the beginning of the play session.
Hey guys,

kinda new to the new setup for PoE, used to play awhile ago with a lot of Wine tweaking.

I followed this
https://github.com/tainium/PoE-Lutris-DXVK

but I'm getting this error and gets stuck on the loading screen:
"Art/Videos/LoadingBackgroundColour.png": In
source code file: f:\buildslave\build\production
\source\windows\visual\device
\d3d11\textured3d11.cpp at line 170,
Processing file:
Error: -2003292336
Running with DXVK 0.70 though (cause I couldn't get the hack to load with Lutris, that part of the instruction wasn't clear)

Specs:
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.18.3-arch1-1-ARCH
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @ 4x 3.4GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 7876MiB

Summary of errors I encountered while trying to get it working myself, maybe this will be useful:

Failed to create WIC factory
Your wine is missing the CoInitialize patch (https://gist.github.com/DataBeaver/5e1f1a256c7f1abb339831fc2b72a5db).

Failed to create deferred context
DXVK is not properly installed and your wine is missing the d3d11-Deferred_Context patch from wine-staging.

Error about Art/Videos/LoadingBackgroundColour.png
Game hangs on a black screen on startup
Your wine is missing the windowscodecs-32bppPRGBA patch from wine-staging.

Edit: Unfortunately I don't have an easy solution for these. None of the builds available in Lutris worked for me so I had to resort to building my own. But this should give you an idea of what modifications you need.
Last edited by databeaver on Aug 23, 2018, 1:13:39 PM
"
databeaver wrote:
It appears that the placeholder shaders hack is what's causing the atlas to appear unexplored. Removing or disabling it fixes the atlas, at the cost of pipeline compilation stuttering at the beginning of the play session.

FYI, missing Atlas background is fixed for me after switching to fullscreen mode and back to windowed fullscreen... but you have to do it everytime you start the game.
“Three great forces rule the world: stupidity, fear and greed.”
― Albert Einstein
Interesting. I wonder if it might be possible to devise a way to recognize that particular pipeline and compile it synchronously, or make the asynchronous compilation externally controllable so I could first open the atlas and then enable it.

I also have a curious performance issue with my Whispering Ice build. If I spam Ice Storm in an outdoors area, the game starts to lag really badly. At worst I've seen frame time spike over one second. It only happens outdoors though; indoors I can spam to my heart's content with no issue whatsoever.
"
jozefch wrote:
"
databeaver wrote:

FYI, missing Atlas background is fixed for me after switching to fullscreen mode and back to windowed fullscreen... but you have to do it everytime you start the game.

Mine starts displaying correctly if I open the Atlas, do a map, then open it again. I've gotten used to ignoring the problem that way, heh.
same name in-game
I refurbished another one of my old characters to try some other skills. Incinerate and flame totem are also affected by the outdoors spam slowdown. Flameblast is fine while channeling, but releasing it over a large group of enemies creates a lag spike.

After a couple hours of playing the slowdown got out of hand in the Reliquary (I was completing all the optional quests for that character). Even though it's an indoors area, using any skill started causing massive amounts of lag. In fact even moving around was causing my FPS to suffer a little bit. After restarting the game everything was fine again.

I will have to apply the esync patches and see if those provide any improvement.
I have an esync-enabled Wine build now, but it looks like I'll need to play for longer than one map to fully evaluate it. That will have to wait until later because I need to do other things now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info