[Official] WINE info thread

I had already disabled it in the Lutris UI as suggested by the earlier post, but for some reason the setting hadn't appeared in the registry. Manually adding it changed nothing though.

It's not just that the game doesn't render anything; I don't hear any audio from the logo video or the menu background music either, suggesting that it gets frozen somewhere early on.

Edit: I tried on a (fairly old) AMD machine as well, but that doesn't work any better.

Edit2: Tried using gdb to figure out where the game gets stuck but that didn't really help since I don't have symbols for the game binaries. Wine logs aren't terribly useful either; I can't find the channels that would give the useful bits but not so much noise that it becomes impossible to trawl through. I also tried letting Lutris install the game from scratch instead of copying over my old installation, but the result was the same as before.

Unless someone has ideas for where to look for the problem, I guess I'll just stick to Windows for serious playing.
Last edited by databeaver on Aug 21, 2018, 1:13:30 PM
All hail Proton: https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410/announcements/detail/1696055855739350561
YES, FINNALLY.

Let's ask Valve for a PoE Version.

Another news here:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3299641/gaming/steam-adds-proton-making-windows-games-playable-on-linux.html
I'm at work, but could you guys try out the new steam play version and give some info on performance? Comparable to winesync+shader hack?
"
Ashtefere wrote:
I'm at work, but could you guys try out the new steam play version and give some info on performance? Comparable to winesync+shader hack?

I will be trying it tomorrow.
Steam Play wasn't immediately helpful. The game crashes with "Failed to create WIC factory" followed by a bunch of reference count errors from fonts. This was an issue with vanilla Wine as well; there's a workaround but no production-quality patch yet (see this bug).
For reference, bugs like the "WIC factory failure" are only for dx11 using dxvk, which you do not have to use. The game still runs (relatively) fine on dx9 using OpenGL.
At the bottom of the Proton GitHub page you'll find the environment variable to enable dx9 mode.
Though I haven't done any extensive testing, the game launched fine.
Lets hope 3.4 doesn't break things.
"
roathus wrote:
For reference, bugs like the "WIC factory failure" are only for dx11 using dxvk, which you do not have to use. The game still runs (relatively) fine on dx9 using OpenGL.
At the bottom of the Proton GitHub page you'll find the environment variable to enable dx9 mode.
Though I haven't done any extensive testing, the game launched fine.
Lets hope 3.4 doesn't break things.

Well, I tried to run dx9 in Incursion and it was all kinds of messed up. To the point where I had to jump through all the hoops to make hacked DXVK work, because dx9 mode was outright unplayable. I know some people are fine with it but my experience was terrible.

I hope now that Valve is putting its full weight (no pun intended, praised be GabeN) behind Proton maybe GGG will finally notice that Linux exist and at least try to make it compatible with Proton. One can dream, right?

Maybe Reddit post with such a request would help, they seem to monitor that pretty closely.
Ok, tested here, not happy.

Proton has dxvk but DX11 does not work. I was expecting it to work with stuttering, but doesn't.

DX9 runs, but the performance is almost HALF of running on standalone Wine 3.14 with esync (no dxvk and no hack patch).

I disabled steam overlay and other stuff, still way less performance than on Lutris.

I don't have time to debug now, maybe on weekend, hopefully someone will find the bugs sooner.
"
roathus wrote:
The game still runs (relatively) fine on dx9 using OpenGL.

If you allow for things like being skittish about opening breaches or abysses on low-tier maps on a level 92 character because the hordes of monsters cause severe performance issues, or crashing several times an hour during active play, then yes, I guess the game runs "relatively fine". As things stand I don't really want to use Wine DX9 for anything more serious than organizing my stash or running a few easy maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info