[Official] WINE info thread

If anyone else frequently crashes at harbinger fights (not sure if it's wine related, but I have no windows machine to try) - it seems, for me atleast, the culprit is the "targeted" righteous fire they cast. ~80% of the time poe crashes for me, that effect is on the screen. If I manage to kill all summoned monsters instantly and they have no target to cast that rf, I get no crash.
I only get crashes around the Harbingers perhaps once every few days. Of course, since I still run with -gc 100, I get a crash every few hours as the game smashes its head against the good old 32-bit 3GB wall if I forget to restart it, but that's something that comes naturally with a deliberately stupidly high -gc parameter. :) I should probably check if this parameter is still needed, perhaps GGG finally fixed their memory management code, or I'm using new enough Wine version which does not choke on it.

Last night I tried switching to Dx9ex mode, and it seems to work slightly better, I get more consistent framerates during effects-intensive fights.

Also, compared to 2.6, maps with burning ground finally work smoothly in PoE 3.0 - in 2.6, it would start OK, but FPS would drop to 2-3 in under a minute of moving through such map.

All in all, 3.0 is an improvement for me. Running Debian 9 on an Intel CPU and Nvidia GTX 970. Wine 2.14-staging from Playonlinux.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
3.0 is a huge improvement for me running a 4770K and GTX 760 with Wine Staging 2.15 (CSMT enabled) and the 64-bit client. I don't even find it necessary to run the garbage collection launch option anymore.
same name in-game
I was tipped that you can use Wine's regedit to solve some font problems but realized you can actually use this to reroute from rendering Fontin and Fontin SmallCaps as the UI font.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes. Create new strings for Fontin and Fontin SmallCaps. Set their values to the font or fonts you want as long as they're linked correctly in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts.

For example I chose Source Sans Pro which I have installed as a package on Arch Linux, and it is correctly set up in the regedit. Looks like this in-game. Sorry about the image quality.

I haven't tested this on a normal Windows installation. Since 3.0 works so well in Wine now I no longer have a Windows partition. If anyone tries that please let me know the results.

Keep in mind this won't affect some things such as buttons which seem to be just images and not actually rendering text.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Sep 13, 2017, 3:44:27 AM
Apparently it's possible to run the DX11 version now with a patch:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42695#c14

I'm currently building Wine Staging with the patch there to test it out.

I honestly thought we were much further from this possibility so this amazed me. Hopefully the problem mentioned there with the dynamic resolution is fixable. I'll post another reply with my results soon.
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Sep 24, 2017, 11:45:33 PM
Assuming the performance is similar to DX9 and 9ex what benefit is there to running the DX11 version of PoE?
"
iao wrote:
Apparently it's possible to run the DX11 version now with a patch:

I'm currently building Wine Staging with the patch there to test it out.

I honestly thought we were much further from this possibility so this amazed me. Hopefully the problem mentioned there with the dynamic resolution is fixable. I'll post another reply with my results soon.

Yup, that is a great news. Recently i was able to start dx11 only with nvidia gpu, with that patch everything (almost) work with amd as well. There are graphic glitches with texture being loaded for the first time but once reused, everything is ok (portal for example).

I hope in the near future we'll see these missing features of dx11_1.
I just finished setting up my Mint Linux 18.2 box recently (dual boots to Windows 10... for now). I'll be testing out POE on the latest of Wine/Winetricks/PlayOnLinux as time allows and report back my findings.

I'm still quite new/green with Linux, so if I run into errors, I will ask for guidance per what logs to post and how to access those logs.

From the few pages I've read on this thread, it looks like my system should be able to handle POE without issue.

i7 4790
16GB RAM
nVidia 1060 GPU
SSD boot drive

I do not run at max settings - I tried it on Windows 10 and noticed no real difference between max and medium, other than better FPS in medium - especially noticeable in Harbinger boss (Beachhead) type situations.

----

Forgot to mention, I did get my laptop setup (yesterday) with Mint 18.2 as well - latest versions of Wine/Winetricks/PlayOnLinux and POE does load! It booted using dx11 and gave around 20-30 errors and finally came up with 'would you like to try dx9?' I opted for DX9 and it came up to the login screen without any fuss!

I believe it is using Wine 2.20 currently. But, latest of everything else.

Specs on the laptop:
Lenovo w520
i7 2840 (I think)
16GB RAM
nVidia Quadro 2000M GPU (not sure if this is leveraged OR if the Intel HD GPU is used)
SSD boot drive

As time permits, I'll be testing the laptop to see how it does and report back.
Last edited by not12listen on Nov 2, 2017, 4:49:00 PM
so, got POE running on my desktop.

i tested it on a master mission (Vagan with his 2 archer friends) and the FPS dropped below 30. i have all the settings pretty low.

honestly, not too thrilled.

i am absolutely open to suggestions.

again, the specs of my machine are above. i have the latest build of everything. if a previous build would be better, please detail which.

my internet connection is 68Mbps down and 3.8Mbps up. i have a 2Gbps LAN connection.

no network lag here... POE is running dx9.

thanks!
POE is quite playable via WINE and to be honest i have the same frame drops while playing on windows. Normal game is set at 60 FPS (vsync on) but with drops to 15-25 FPS while there is a lot on the screen.

To compare: Ryzen 1700, rx580, sdd

As to the settings most of it doesn't change the performance at all (odd but true). I read somewhere that it is not worth to set low texture as it can cause more performance drop than high.

If you have nvidia gpu you have 2 options:

- Play POE in dx9 (dx9ex) mode with disabled glsl - to do so you can try a command: winetricks glsl=disabled or edit it in regedit
- Play POE in dx11 mode with enabled glsl - it gives me lower FPS and generaly it performs not that great. But to be honest on my rx580 i'd prefer that way - while you disable async and waitforpreload (all effects should be loaded during loadscreen) it is laggy from time to time with the new effect but the more you play the more fluent the game is (thanks to on disk cache shader). Cache remains on the disk. I read that creating tmpfs ramdisk and copy there content.gpk might help with that a little bit but in fact it will remain slow as long as the POE engine improve or the HLSL -> GLSL will be much faster.

In both cases (dx9(ex) and dx11) you have to (should) disable multicore engine in the game and try to enable CSMT in the wine.

Also to be able start the game with dx11 mode you have to apply the patch that disable dx11_1 in wine:

Last edited by CichyCien on Nov 3, 2017, 5:30:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info