[Official] WINE info thread

My apologies if this may have been mentioned in the thread. I skimmed many pages but did not go thru them all.

I am running 2.6.3 and also the Beta 3.0.x client on my MacOSX Sierra. Overall it is fairly stable and playable, but it does get a little difficult to play when a breach is triggered or lots of spell animations. I just don't play HC and enjoy the game and dont worry about my lag deaths. I did want to toss out a really easy to follow instruction page I ran into for using BREW to install WINE and POE. It has been wonderful to use.

https://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

Check it out.
So to answer my own question in case it helps anyone else.

I was also getting a bunch of directx errors right after the updater launched the game. I discovered they were caused by the glsl=disabled option. If I set glsl=enabled, everything works fine. I don't know why because every guide says to disable but the game won't even start for me if it's disabled.
Any luck with 3.0 release for you folks? I was getting stuck in the loading screens so I removed all my command line options(only --noasync) as it is instructed in the bug forums, but then the game started crashing during actual gameplay instead.
It is working reasonable well.

In a normal map I get around 70 to 100fps, towns are really bad (especially in normal act 5) with around 20fps. I am crashing somewhat frequently when fighting harbringer monsters, but this does not appear to be wine related. The wild pack(?) (3 uniques in act 2 cruel) also crashed me 3 times in a row, I think something about their abilities is bugged.
One thing I noticed is that ambient light sources act a bit strange. If I move to far away from them they turn off, even if the light source is still visible on the screen. However worse is, is that there is a range at which the light constantly turns off and on again. This flickering off the light source keeps updating shadows and is quite straining on the eyes.

I am using DX9, DX9E had issues with textures and item images not loading in time. Which meant new items would look like this for a few seconds.

Given that I am using '-gc 100' I am also crashing every few hours when the game runs out of memory, however it seems like the game handles more gracefully now. Usually it just throws me an error popup and about not being able to create a thread and exits.

I would say with good enough hardware the game is SC playable.
The game is giving me "No sound devices found" after playing the intro with sound. Anyone knows what is going on?
Fear the army of dots:
..............................................................................................................................
..............................................................................................................................
Game loads - but all the textures except particles are missing.

Running on AMD driver.
Wine 2.13

Has anyone exprienced this? (and hopefully solved it).

Thanks
"
xykivo wrote:
Game loads - but all the textures except particles are missing.

Running on AMD driver.
Wine 2.13

Has anyone exprienced this? (and hopefully solved it).

Thanks

I'm having exactly the same problem.
AMD Driver.
wine 2.14
"
mathw wrote:
Any luck with 3.0 release for you folks? I was getting stuck in the loading screens so I removed all my command line options(only --noasync) as it is instructed in the bug forums, but then the game started crashing during actual gameplay instead.

Update, I tried again without --noasync and made it to act 4 without crashes. But what's more, with pristine frame rates too! Before 3.0 it was either -gc 100, --noasync or complete slideshow mode, but now the game seems to be working pretty fine without any command line at all.

This is weird, but I like it.
For those of you running with the -gc 100 flag, it is fairly easy to get a warning once you're getting close to an out of memory crash.

"
Running with the -gc 100 flag for extended periods of time causes eventual crashes, but I tend to forget time while playing and don't remember to restart.

So, I whipped up a quick and dirty script to warn me when its time to restart the game:

"

#!/bin/bash

THRESHOLD=3900000
MEMORY=0

while [[ $MEMORY -lt $THRESHOLD ]]; do
sleep 10
MEMORY=$(ps -C PathOfExile.exe -o vsz=)
echo "Memory used: $MEMORY"
done

mplayer ~/SomeWarningMusic.mp3

I noticed the crashes happen somewhere around 4 to 4.1 GB of memory used, not exactly sure. 3.9 might be too conservative, but I guess it gives me some time to finish whatever I am doing.
Let me know if you find a better way to handle this.

Script explanation:
Every 10 seconds, use the ps command to check the current virtual memory footprint of the PathOfExile executeable, and compare it to threshold. When it reaches the threshold, break the loop and play some mucis with mplayer.

That aside, anyone having any luck with DX11? That dynamic effect fidelity scaling looks real handy, but I get a bunch of errors when switching to it, wondering whether I should spend the time trying to resolve them all.
"
For those of you running with the -gc 100 flag, it is fairly easy to get a warning once you're getting close to an out of memory crash.

"
Running with the -gc 100 flag for extended periods of time causes eventual crashes, but I tend to forget time while playing and don't remember to restart.

So, I whipped up a quick and dirty script to warn me when its time to restart the game:

"

#!/bin/bash

THRESHOLD=3900000
MEMORY=0

while [[ $MEMORY -lt $THRESHOLD ]]; do
sleep 10
MEMORY=$(ps -C PathOfExile.exe -o vsz=)
echo "Memory used: $MEMORY"
done

mplayer ~/SomeWarningMusic.mp3

I noticed the crashes happen somewhere around 4 to 4.1 GB of memory used, not exactly sure. 3.9 might be too conservative, but I guess it gives me some time to finish whatever I am doing.
Let me know if you find a better way to handle this.

Script explanation:
Every 10 seconds, use the ps command to check the current virtual memory footprint of the PathOfExile executeable, and compare it to threshold. When it reaches the threshold, break the loop and play some mucis with mplayer.

That aside, anyone having any luck with DX11? That dynamic effect fidelity scaling looks real handy, but I get a bunch of errors when switching to it, wondering whether I should spend the time trying to resolve them all.

DX11 doesn't work with Wine as far as I know. We're stuck using DX9.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info