[Official] WINE info thread

Is there a consolidated list of suggestions, tips, etc? A single thread makes finding useful information between debugging quite a pain.

"
Since installing POE on my new rig I haven't been able to get audio working. On Arch linux, tried using both ALSA and Pulseaudio - the in-game Sound tab shows the "Device" as "NoSound Driver". Anybody have any idea on how to get this working? Running on PlayonLinux using Wine 1.9.24 with the riched20 and vcrun winetricks modifications.

Are you able to open alsamixer?
Last edited by Figgis on Mar 12, 2017, 6:58:58 PM
For me, I have to run with no sound. If I have sound on, eventually the game will get choppy and laggy, particularly at higher levels and/or after running several areas.

With no sound, I don't have that problem, and can usually play until my hands break. =)

I disable the sound by selecting an incorrect sound driver.

I imagine the problem is that there is an expensive sound computation for enemy attacks/spells, enough so that when the screen is full, wine/drivers/whatever can't keep up. Though I haven't run perf or anything to try and measure it.
"
nanwan wrote:
For me, I have to run with no sound. If I have sound on, eventually the game will get choppy and laggy, particularly at higher levels and/or after running several areas.

With no sound, I don't have that problem, and can usually play until my hands break. =)

I disable the sound by selecting an incorrect sound driver.

I imagine the problem is that there is an expensive sound computation for enemy attacks/spells, enough so that when the screen is full, wine/drivers/whatever can't keep up. Though I haven't run perf or anything to try and measure it.

Hmm... your problem description seems a bit different than mine (choppy and laggy vs graphic glitches and crashes), but I'll try it without sound anyway :)
I didn't notice much of a performance difference with no sound (I used the "-ns"-parameter via steam settings), but I didn't play long enough to see whether it crashes less/later.

I installed wine-gaming-nine from the AUR though and it makes a huge difference! Again, I didn't play that long so I can't tell for sure whether it also has memory leak problems, but my fps improved incredibly!
I enabled Gallium_Nine on the Staging tab
I feel that wine operates faster when built with clang instead of gcc.
(But it's just my experience and I've never compared performance differences using some benchmark.)
What do you think?
on Arch Linux, linux-ck kernel, wine-gaming-nine(AUR),Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050, CSMT
I got some issues in wine 2.4 64bit (Arch Linux).
Sound effects and dialogue voice acting sounds does not work. Music and UI sounds works however.
When talking to an NPC the text begin to close and then the dialogue box closes.

Anyone have the same problem?
It's pretty sad there's no native client yet, at least OpenGL could be optional. Guess Xbox is more important, because of Microsoft.
Last edited by path23leech on Mar 22, 2017, 5:02:29 AM
"
ara_ wrote:

I installed wine-gaming-nine from the AUR though and it makes a huge difference! Again, I didn't play that long so I can't tell for sure whether it also has memory leak problems, but my fps improved incredibly!
I enabled Gallium_Nine on the Staging tab

After playing quite a bit over the weekend, I can confirm that I still have memory leaks that eventually lead to visual corruption and crashes. I think it takes longer than without Gallium nine, though.

Is there anybody playing this on wine that has consistent high fps and no memory leaks?
"
im_bored wrote:
I've got a pretty decent rig, but I was still getting that stuttering that seemed to be linked to asset loading like the other folks.

the flag --noasync pretty much fixed that. That's the only flag I'm running, no -gc 1 or -gc 100 so maybe it'll help someone else.

Wow, that actually works. With that I can bump the graphics to max(had been playing in runescape mode for a while now), 1080p and postprocessing enabled and still get 40~90 fps depending on the area, right after I log in. Performance still degrades with time, but it rarely goes into literally unplayable territory(or crashes). This may be due to a memory leak, but it ought to be in the VRAM since my RAM usage rarely goes over 70% and my swap remains untouched when I check it during play. Will try to remember to check VRAM usage next time too.
For comparison, before, running with -gc 100 only, the game would start with a very stuttery 0-20fps, which, I presume, had to do with resource loading, stabilize in the 15~40 range and then start to degrade, eventually capping out on my physical memory and slowing down to a crawl as swapping started to take hold.

Running on Manjaro stable, Geforce GT740SC(375.x proprietary drivers), wine-staging 2.1 with CSMT enabled. I run a bunch of kernels and never noticed difference in performance between them, sometimes I even play on a rt kernel and don't notice until much later.
Hello. I am tryign to run Path Of Exile on POL. I keep getting errors. I have tried reinstalling POL. I have tried different WINE versions. I have tried different nvidia drivers. I have tried 32bit and 64bit WINE. I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Also this is all before it even allocates space.

Here is the debug printout.
"

Running wine-2.4 PathOfExile.exe (Working directory : /home/saraneth/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/pathofexile/drive_c/Program Files/Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile)
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winebus.sys": libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:winedevice:async_create_driver failed to create driver L"WineBus": c0000142
err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"WLDAP32.dll": libldap_r-2.4.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
err:module:import_dll Loading library WLDAP32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe") failed (error c000007a).
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\Program Files\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile\PathOfExile.exe" failed, status c0000135

Edit: Managed to fix it by installing lib32-libldap.
Last edited by Saraneth on Mar 29, 2017, 2:27:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info