I suck at trading

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
oh dear john, has it really come to this? lol

my sympathies you old scoundrel, i dont know if I should take you under my wing and show you how to delboy proper or just have mercy and put you down like a lame horse. Hows those legs holding up? You think you got another round in you? Come on buddy, if my mum can learn to wirelessly print from her ipad at 60 I think we can make a banker of you yet. I'll bring the redbulls you bring your checkbook face, were gonna shop till we drop.

Veruski, the mace is on softcore, exalts are only 26 chaos over there.

hi, old friend.

the point of this thread is I don't want to become a banker. I'm here to play an aRPG.
call it arrogance, stupidity or whatever - but trade isn't just something I utterly suck at in this game, it's also something I have no intention of "getting better" at.

during my almost 1.5 years playing Path Of Exile, RNG has provided me with a lot of gear-progression road-blocks. heck, I've yet to obtain some things others take for granted - like a 6-link or an Eternal Orb - and don't have a single item from the "top list" like Kaom's Heart, Soul Taker, Shavronne's Wrappings... and not a single "godly" rare.
not even one.

each time I hit such a roadblock, my options were either trade for an upgrade or go to Plan B, which was using the stuff RNG did give me in all this time spent playing, and make more characters.
95% of the time, I went for plan B - because I suck at trade and have no intention to get better - and I did manage to make some extremely fun characters. awesome builds worthy of posting in the build forums.

but you know, it hurts.
call it "entitlement" or whatnot, but I feel that after 1.7k hours playing and seeing all the content the game has to offer - including getting slaughtered in a Palace Map and by Atziri, because I'm stupid enough to play melee with inferior gear - I should have something for my trouble. something better than medium-tier gear with an occasional good unique like the Searing Touch and Infernal Mantle I have on my fun glass-cannon Flameblast Scion. or the Bloodseeker Claw and better-than-average belt on my Shadow.
1.5 years man.

the stash and inventory should be one's "trophy case" in an aRPG, and games like the Median mod for D2 understood that perfectly: you beat crazy stuff - you get trophies for your trophy case.
more than just trophies - they are items you can use to either upgrade your main, or create characters that are better than your main.
do I have characters better than my Standard League main? better-built with fewer mistakes - yes. better overall - no.

my trophy case is pathetic. even more so when compared to that guy who played for just a couple of months and traded heavily, or that one who was just super-lucky and dropped a Shav or 6-linked on the first try, then hit a jackpot on the first Chaos.
there's a guy here who posted his Reave Shadow gear, and has half of it mirrored and the other half BiS. that makes me feel like all my effort is worth less than horse shit.

but I have no intention to become "a banker". I'll leave this game before I do.

still remember being offered a "legacy" Shavronne's Wrappings by a friend who quit in Open Beta, and refusing. trophies are things you win, not things you are just given.
but, is it even possible to "win" anything in Path Of Exile? to gain something awesome with pure playing skills?
after all this time and effort, I really don't think so.
I'm just beyond frustrated, and not for the first time.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Apr 22, 2014, 5:21:24 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
my beloved Standard League Marauder. the first character I ever made in Path Of Exile.
decided to change him a bit - from 2h to 1h + shield - because he's been sitting there collecting pixel-dust 90% of the time.

already have a good shield, so needed a good 1-hander.
have this
and it's the best one I have in Standard League, after playing the game for well over a year.
it's not enough. map monsters laugh at my damage output.

so - trade chat. god I hate that place. I hate trade with a fucking passion, but I had no choice.
here's an awesome 1-handed rare axe: 250ish pDPS. 1.7 APS. some eDPS. just what I need to hit harder.
guy wants 8 Exalted Orbs.
yeah.
I have 2.

no upgrades for the poor.
should have become a fucking trade tycoon, instead of killing monsters all this time.
that way, I'd have no problem getting all the upgrades in the world.

[Removed by Support]
Just for try for see and for know.

She corpse exploded the corpse of the boss...
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on Apr 22, 2014, 12:35:47 PM
John there's no excuse for this post...
You can make 2 exalts in a day easily if you farm correctly. Yes, it will be in chaos and other currency, but there are plenty of people in this game that accept things other than exalts.

I've played enough self-found to know that there are road-blocks in this game. However, you can overcome them by farming. I always have to farm Merveil or Fellshrine or Ledge in Merc before I take on Act 3 seriously. It sometimes takes a good 10-20 hours of farming to get the things I need.

It's a lot easier if you trade, but I too often trade down just to trade quickly. So it really comes down to how well you farm.

You need to refine your farming methods.
Well in PoE its either MF gear while farming or go home anyway, because if you are farming with 0/0 magic find and soloing, you better be prepared to farm forever before getting anything good boy, you have better luck in a group while mapping.

and when u do find something good and decided to hit trade? While trading, basically do not be fooled by those "I'm so fuckin poor pleeeeease sell me your perfect Auxium for 3ex", those are clearly flippers. give em a few discount but dont get lowballed.

Another tip is play on the fresh leagues, why are you on standard, don't complain everything is expensive there because everyones overpricing ridiculously there and god knows why they do that.
"Get rich or die grinding"

Lvl 100 Ascendant - RadioactiveSago: HIGHEST KB tooltiplordz in all of PoE (view-thread/1636451)
Lvl 100 Assassin - Chonkeyy: Omnislasher 2 mil DPS Flicker Build (view-thread/1571744)
I've 2 leveled characters, dropped a 6link, linked a 6 link... some 5 links... and are able to get rich just by alching rings and belts... sometimes crafting a bid by side

The only problem which I see, is that you ve to be online quite often and at the right time of the day, otherwise you won't get rid of your stuff...

And for real... a decent gear which is able to play the whole content of the game isn't that expensive... Therefore rng works quite well for most of the people, which are not playing 24/7...
"
qquno wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
Btw I mapped today (solo, 0 MF) for about 8 hours and made around 30 chaos in overall currency

How much was spend on maps rolling? Does this 30 chaos include it? I mean balance, say you spend X on rolling, got Y from chaos recipe or whatever, and balance is Y - X :) You probably have to count somewhat maps value you got/wasted as well :) So its all not so simple..

Oh, and btw, RNG is RNG!
#

It was low level meeps (my char is still low) so roll and map cost were virtually zero. And yes, RNG is RNG. I ran 5 maps today, got a Chaos drop in each map, two GCPs and a Divine :D But yesterday's RNG felt really average.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
johnKeys wrote:

hi, old friend.

the point of this thread is I don't want to become a banker.

I know, Im only messing around, I totally get where youre coming from.

to be honest I think the boss loot is too stingey in this game for sure. They should just cut out mfs effect on boss mobs and split the difference between everyone.

In this game you can get in a rut for sure, where you cant farm efficiently so you find substantially less loot, which stops you from getting more efficient... its just a horrible loop, you cant level so you dont get the points you need to tank and deeps more, vicious circles.

I didnt really get going till I made an ek marauder, back in the day when iron will ek marauders were sick. It just tanked like a truck and I didnt need a great weapon. that character just made all the different for me. at the time my chars were locked at about lvl74, back before act3x and before lunaris was lvl68, when you needed to map to get beyond 74-75. That character just ate up content and got me to 89, found me tons of items.

took me forever to really embrace trade though, it was a long time before I ever had more than 2ex to my name. I only ever did it out of necessity for map rolling, but Ive since become a greedy hoarder to fuel my chest armour crafting. I love semi gg 6 link chest armours, and I just cant afford the bloody things, so the only option is crafting tbh, and theres just no way to do that without selling tons of gear constantly.
"Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. We're a small independent team of hardcore gamers based in New Zealand and have created Path of Exile as the game that we'd want to play ourselves. It is designed around a strong barter-based online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races."

yo wanna play yo got to trade. ARPG my ASS! your dream build only good at theorycrafting phase.
* Forum Avatar - $500USD
... -- Bex_GGG
Last edited by estu87 on Apr 23, 2014, 1:46:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info