I suck at trading

Tradechat isn't that hard to deal with.

Have it open every once in a while when you're playing and see if anyone's looking to buy something you've got or someone's selling something for cheap that you can use.

I picked up this:

for 5 alterations in Invasion league from a player who was selling a few corrupted items that clearly hadn't worked out the way they'd like.

And I got this:

for 20 fusings from someone clearly trying to get a 5 or 6 link.

You just keep half an eye out while you're playing and see what comes up.
-o- Someone's selling 160 Wisdom Scrolls for a Chaos Orb? It just so happens I'm almost always running short of those.

-o- Orbs of Regret for Chaos Orbs at a 3:2 ratio? My build's in a good spot at the moment, and I've got a few spare Orbs of Regret in my stash.

-o- Alterations for Chaos? I haven't had many Chaos Orbs drop for me but I might wait a bit and see if someone else offers a better ratio.

Just keep an eye out.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Apr 19, 2014, 9:38:38 PM
Or you can get white siege axe ilvl 77 for few chaos, get a bunch of alts/regals/scouring and gamble... err CRAFT up to 442 pDPS axe( ideal roll 3 x t1 mods, tyranical, flaring and the one with %27 IAS no idea how its called). Realistically speaking you can get something like 300 pDPS axe.

During my PoE career (1 year) I found 300 pDPS 1h weapon only once, so yes 300+ pDPS weapon cost quite alot and its fair (300+ pDPS crit weapon cost even more, since even more rare).

Well, some time ago for lulz I gambled this 256 pDPS crap:

Can't recall how much regals + scouring I spend, 10-20 I think. I was "lucky" though, since second time I could not get a better axe, was out of regals :)

So, despite PoE gambling/crafting system sux (if you want 6 x t1 mods) yet you can craft quite nice items with just common orbs as alt + regals, and I think ppl do not realize it. As an example, Mathil's Elemental Buzzsaw build require 2.0 APS foil + 3 x flat elemental damage, you can simply spam alts, get 1 x elemental + 2.0 APS, regal second flat elemental damage on foil. From this point crafted weapon already perfectly usable, now you can yolo exalt triple elemental :) A poor friend of mine crafted this way 350 ele dps foil, or was it 390 can't recall.
IGN: MsAnnoyance
"
xyz wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
so - trade chat.

hue

I have used your site pretty much since it's early days.
still do, when the need arises.
I even checked it in this case, and the cheapest upgrade was b/o 4 Exalts - which I still don't have.

trade chat vs. POE.XYZ ? that's not the point.

the point is, anyone would eventually get to a point where they cannot obtain an upgrade to their gear, no matter how terrible it is.
and mine isn't, so I'm screwed. *my* upgrades are in the many-exalts price range, or the "insane luck" one in terms of RNG.

I played the game and this specific char since January 2013.
almost 1.5 years killing literally millions of monsters, and visiting every part of the content at least 3 times (except Atziri. that was once and I failed).
and unless I just go "trade week" - convert all my lower currency at the local flipper, and sell half of my accumulated stash - there is no way in hell I'll be able to afford spending 4-8 pure Exalts on one upgrade.

after almost 1.5 years, I have 2 Exalts, and 2 more in Hardcore.

trading guys can laugh now. just like 70+ map monsters laugh at my DPS.
fuck, it took me close to 30 minutes to clear a single Enfeebled Reef Map - and that's a 68.
every white mob seemed to have boss-grade life.

craft an upgrade? there is no such thing.
and gambling against an RNG, that showed me multiple times it fucking hates me? that's suicide.
I'd rather trade.
but I hate trade.
FML.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Apr 20, 2014, 2:40:10 AM
Okay, xyz itself proves that you can easily upgrade that hammer for a better weapon for a much more fair price than 4 ex. Maybe not up to your standards, but better than that hammer for sure. In fact, you can craft a weapon at the very least similar to it using alts and augs, and easily better with regals. And if you've only made 2 exalts in 2 years, you haven't made good use of vendor recipes. I've always managed to progress in the game through selling mediocre items and generating currency through farming and recipes. In fact, I don't think I've ever bought an ES helm for one of my witches. I always crafted my own with alt + regals. I tend to do the same with chests, but I've bought and used mirrors before for nigh perfect 6Ls.

And I never found an item like a Soul Taker. I never found a Dream Fragments or Maligaro's when they were the most expensive uniques in the game. I bought them, because they were a part of my build, but I never had the luck to get that big ticket item. Yes, the economy now favors the rich even more than it used to. Hell, I remember more than once having to compete with my lucky friend (fucking slurmsluck) over the best wands in the leagues. And I did all this through effort rather than luck. Hell, we were some of the richest people in the league when we could put up 40 GCP for a single item, and later buy a mirror for 70-100 GCP... I won't say that the rich don't get richer nowadays. But the poor aren't completely left in the dust.

Also, if you're talking about the state of economics in Standard... Well, have you ever tried trading for stuff in NonLadder D2? It's basically either free or you're never gonna get it. Simple as that. Until I closed down my shop, I was giving out items to people who PMed me a full year after I stopped playing in the league. Ask around and you might find people who are also as kind. Or move on to Ambush where you don't have to worry about 1k HP Kaom's.
Hard to believe that after 2 years of playing you got 2ex only. You must be doing something wrong there. Man, collecting alts/jews/fuses using chaos recepie itself nets you a lot of currency. You can easily exchange them for ex.
I AM MAD
ZAP!ZAP!ZAP! ME SOOO WIZZARD!
If you only have 2 exalts after 2 YEARS of playing, that means you don't know what items are worth $. I have around 40 exalts worth in ambush just by doing maps and sliding my items in a random trade thread so it gets picked up by xyz. Some random rares.. you can throw at the trade chat crowd for 1 exalt when its really worth 2-3 ex and have people rushing to you in seconds. That kind of stuff is bound to happen to you not that long if you just run maps and keep what is actually valuable.

ie. the other day I found out my friend vendored a 350 pdps 1H sword... because he didnt even know it was that valuable.
"
gathor wrote:
Hard to believe that after 2 years of playing you got 2ex only. You must be doing something wrong there. Man, collecting alts/jews/fuses using chaos recepie itself nets you a lot of currency. You can easily exchange them for ex.

that's the point: I don't want to exchange.

I have a few stacks of Alchs and Chaos - which indeed came more from recipes, than from absurd drop rates - but changing them to pure Exalts for trade, requires trade.
requires getting ripped-off, because the guy with the Exalts has rates in mind which benefit him alone.

and quite frankly, I need those Chaos as they are.
Exalts are worthless to me. stupidly-expensive RNG orbs that are worthless in anything but trade.

am I doing something wrong? sure.

Spoiler
I WASTED 1.7k HOURS OF MY LIFE KILLING MONSTERS IN THIS FUCKING GAME AND HAVE NOTHING, WHILE I SIMPLY COULD SIT IN TOWN AND TRADE FOR 1/4 THAT TIME, AND HAVE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

I am the avatar of GGG's failed aRPG design.
the guy who always gets the short end of the RNG stick.
the living proof, that you either trade like crazy - or don't play this game.
because you might just end up like me.

the reason I've spent the last few months, doing nothing more than rolling Alts to level 60ish, is 50% wanting to try new builds, and 50% knowing I can't handle the high maps solo on my main.
and never will. not in this lifetime.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Apr 20, 2014, 3:08:44 AM
And this is why I will probably always be interested in a self found league.

John Keys would be doing fine in any other game that rewarded gameplay. But this is Path of Trading. Learn to trade or don't complain about getting next to nothing.
Standard Forever
Hmmmm, would you be super stoked it a 300 pdps weapon suddenly fell out of a magic zombie?

Who am I kidding? You'd just get pissy about not having a 350 dps weapon.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
johnKeys wrote:

the living proof, that you either trade like crazy - or don't play this game.
because you might just end up like me.

Dunno man, you're clearly exaggerating. You don't need to 'trade like crazy' to make decent currency. Just make a shop, throw the rares you'll inevitably find in the shop with a buyout and rake in the currency. That's like 99% playing the game and 1% trade dedication.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Apr 20, 2014, 3:16:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info