New rogue exile MAGNUS STONETHORN

I am a bit conflicted here. On one hand, he is clearly overpowered. He is the only exile that makes my whole party shit its collective pants and run, shouting "skip". I like tough encounters. I also like skill-based encounters, which is why I enjoy fighting the Vaal oversoul and Magnus. If you are good you rarely get hit and never by a one-shot. Here comes the problem though - desync. I am not very close to my server and I often get pretty bad desyncs (no problem in any other game I have ever played, internet is very fast and very reliable). If I do not desync, I kill them without a hitch. The battle is very dynamic and unforgiving though - I mess up twice, I die. I like it that way. I hate it when it becomes desync twice in a roll, die. It means the longer the encounter, the closer my chance of dying is to 1. When you encounter him in close-quarters (say, Necropolis map, on the bridges), with monsters around, desync is pretty much unavoidable. There are only so many times I can press my desync macro (despite what people say, Lightning warp is not a fix-all for desync. While it might re-sync you after teleporting you, it is very prone to desync issues - it displays an animation but doesn't port you, refuses to engage despite a clear (apparent) line of sight (though server-side obviously disagrees), etc.).
Because I see to be going on quite a tangent, in short:
Challenging and skill-based encounters are great and what I like most in the game. Mindlessly slaughtering (or getting slaughtered) by dozens of enemies at the same time is fun but not AS fun. However, one-shot abilities have no place in a game with so many glaring mechanical and netcode problems. Desync and sudden FPS drops rob you of the ability to use your skills to mitigate overpowered (but telegraphed) enemy skills and to protect yourselves. They turn such encounters into a gear-check, which just sucks. I am not a hamster in a wheel and I don't like behaving as such.
"
Astarte911 wrote:
You are aware of the fact that he is using Flammability, right ? It doesn't have to do anything with Ele Weaknes map.

Did you even encounter him on a lvl 76+ map?

Yes, 2 times, once with 30% extra damage and other time in a 74 map with extra cold dmg, in Invasion at level 87, killed him as melee with positioning and kiting. Never got hit by his maxed flameblast (you must be extremely clumsy to get hit by that) i only was hitted by him by his mid flameblast which did 2500 or 3000 damage with 76 fire res. Obviously i switched from grace to purity of elements to counter his flammability

Getting 125% fire res is ridiculously easy, specially with purity of fire on, if you think that having 125% fire res is such a difficult and unfair gear check, then it's your problem. Using ruby and anticurse flasks help too and should suffice.

According to your thoughts, then you should quit the game since all these bosses are a gear check:

Dominus, no stauncinh = death
Corrupting blood, no staunching = death
Rima, no max cold res and stacked cold res = death
Shock and horror, no max light res = death
All puncture mobs, no staunching or armor = death

And so on, shame that all these bosses can be countered with kiting and positioning

I'm tired of players claiming fight like that as unfair gear check, i'm tired of this shit, adapt or die, simple
Last edited by Mahesys on May 26, 2014, 5:54:22 AM
It's not about gear check or skill, I saw it was Magnus only because I waited long enough for him to enter my screen just to see wtf killed me. It was lvl74 map, Vaal boss, and I was wearing lighting res flask (not fire), I have on me back up equipment/gems, purity of elements included but it wasn't on and there was no time to switch because I was already dead.

I killed this exile earlier on lower lvl maps and while lvl-ing and I had never problems with it nor with any other exile until this happen.
"
Mahesys wrote:
"
Astarte911 wrote:
You are aware of the fact that he is using Flammability, right ? It doesn't have to do anything with Ele Weaknes map.

Did you even encounter him on a lvl 76+ map?

Yes, 2 times, once with 30% extra damage and other time in a 74 map with extra cold dmg, in Invasion at level 87, killed him as melee with positioning and kiting. Never got hit by his maxed flameblast (you must be extremely clumsy to get hit by that) i only was hitted by him by his mid flameblast which did 2500 or 3000 damage with 76 fire res. Obviously i switched from grace to purity of elements to counter his flammability

Getting 125% fire res is ridiculously easy, specially with purity of fire on, if you think that having 125% fire res is such a difficult and unfair gear check, then it's your problem. Using ruby and anticurse flasks help too and should suffice.

According to your thoughts, then you should quit the game since all these bosses are a gear check:

And so on, shame that all these bosses can be countered with kiting and positioning

I'm tired of players claiming fight like that as unfair gear check, i'm tired of this shit, adapt or die, simple

OH, you are lvl 87 and Melee AND in INVASION. You are such a skilled player. Jesus.

Im Lvl 90.5 (my other toon is lvl 84) and im playing dual wielding CI melee in Invasion. I'm playing solo only and killing _all_ bosses (Except shock and horrer). And ? Does it qualify me now more then you ? I believe you know the answer. (No, just in case you dont got it...)

"
extra cold dmg

Ok, didn't know that it boosts his damage, lolz (Of course, it does not.)

"

Thats bullshit you writing here. Rima's cold debuff is only -20 (not like Magnus -45) and staunching obviously is a flask mod, not a mod you can get on an armour. In addition, you usually only need it once. As long as you can hard counter it with mods on gear, a boss will remain a gear check. You got enough Fire Res on your Gear or you dont. Its not hard to understand

Sorry brah, if you have the time to kite him 5 minutes (and never desync/connection problems), then this is up to you. These exiles are random encounters, which are sometimes not easy to skip and thus, they shouldnt hit like a meteroid.(And needing longer then 10 Minutes for a map is inefficient anyway) Also, you totally ignoring, that i didnt say anything about nerfing. I said he can hit for 3k, but should not 1-hit with debuff on you. Thats all.

Honestly, the only time i want (in best case) some time of preperation is, if i encounter Shrine Piety or Courtyard boss. Not a random overtuned scumbag Exile, that abuses the bad elemental damage scaling.

Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Last edited by Astarte911 on May 26, 2014, 7:02:43 AM
I can go the whole fight without getting hit by a single one of his flameblasts, in any situation also. In the beginning I used temp chains against him, it slows the frequency and charge up time of his flameblasts to make it very easy. After a while you won't need it and you can go back to your usual DPS curse to finish the fight faster. At least try and learn the fight before you complain. He's my favourite Exile to fight, it's quite exciting.
P̯̹̙̥̉̏ͦͯA̠̝̰̣̯͕͚̲̭͈̥̠͑̓̿ͦ̾ͯ̍ͅͅȚ̜̦͕̞̞̠̮͎͔͙͔̺̺͉̟̿̿̏ͬ͛͋̍ͮ̌̚H̹͕͚̟͍̘̤̱̻̬͓̬̮̫̦͖̳̹ͮͨ̒̉ͮ̿̈ͪ̇̿͆ͭ̃ͭ̃ͭ̚ ̲̫̞̤͓̳͑ͬ̾͌ͯ͐͂̿͗ͨ͋͑̍͐͗̾̄O͕̮̻͔̳̠͉͖̳͖͈̻͇͈̣̙̪͈ͨ͐̒̽ͣ̋ͅF̣͎̞̞̯̝ͦ͌̆ͥ̈͐̾ͣ̔ͮ̐̀̏ͪ̚ ̟̩͙̙̩̮̻̼ͬ͑ͥͦ͗̿E̼̭̩̜͕̱̤̭̞͖̳͍̝̤̼͓̗ͩͫ̌ͬ̊̋̄͑͗̽X͕̰̪̱̲̩̙̦͓͓̯̠̤̝̝̯̣̥̀̋̌̍̚Ȉ̖̟͔̩̝̊̿ͪͅL̺͓̻̰̀͋̅ͮͧE͔̼͚͕̮̻̟̩̪̖̫̪̦͙̎̑͆̏ͨͅ
Also, you totally ignoring, that i didnt say anything about nerfing. I said he can hit for 3k, but should not 1-hit with debuff on you. Thats all.

No it's not all, if the debuff can be easily countered (anticurse flask) or easily nullified (purity of fire) it's fair to have it, learn to adapt or die. This exile is perfectly fine as it is

Or you claim it's soooo hard to counter that it's unfair? ridiculous
Last edited by Mahesys on May 26, 2014, 7:39:13 AM
Your "Hardcore" mentality is so sad, that's the only ridiculous thing here. You playing HC, you are "Elite" the game should be designed arround your skills. I got a message for you:
Path of Exile wont survive if they would design the game arround ppl like you. There are even examples, that good people quitted invasion league, because of the 1-shot mechanics. Also, the overtuned Bosses made invasion to a dead league at all (if i compare it with Nemesis or Onslaught, where _much_ more active player were arround).
Want gear ? None available.
Want ETs to craft ? None available.
Want Upgrades ? None sighted since 1 month.
I even had to craft my own 6L (first time in a league!), because there werent't simply any available (after 2.5 Months!!). This is what your "Hardcore Elitism" brings us. Nothing.

"
Or you claim it's soooo hard to counter that it's unfair? ridiculous

Please quote me where said its unfair. You just throwing nonsense arround (as seen with cold damage or comparing a flask mod with a gear mod.) I killed him several times by myself. But I'm not the reference, neither you are. This boss needs to be tuned down, this is absolutely clear and i'm very sure that they'll tune him down.

edit1: Luckily GGG recognized that Invasion is empty. It will get better now with items, after the inva/ambush combo, which fixes the invasion problems at least _a bit_

Last edited by Astarte911 on May 26, 2014, 8:28:39 AM
"
Astarte911 wrote:
i'm very sure that they'll tune him down.

it should be nurfed until "invisible rain" bug is fixed

then it can be buffed back
"
Astarte911 wrote:
Want gear ? None available.
Want ETs to craft ? None available.
Want Upgrades ? None sighted since 1 month.
I even had to craft my own 6L (first time in a league!), because there werent't simply any available (after 2.5 Months!!). This is what your "Hardcore Elitism" brings us.

Hardcore Elitism has nothing to do with it.

Game starts to break apart when no one is playing.
Because it is designed like that.

Instead of game model you blame something else.
"
Hardcore Elitism has nothing to do with it.

GGG guys are Hardcore player and thus, invasion was designed arround their hardcore imaginations, what a real hardcore challenge is. This is the elitism and they had to pay it bitterly (dead league, invaders had to be tuned down 3times, a lot of HC players went to ambush etc.)

"

Game starts to break apart when no one is playing.

And why does no one playing it ? (its a rhetorical question.)

Last edited by Astarte911 on May 26, 2014, 8:38:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info