A Veteran's Proposal for a Self Found League - Poll Included!

"
morbo wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Thus, you're expecting them to fund an experiment they're already pretty sure would turn out badly. You can't reasonably expect that.
Any rational explanation why's that? There has been more demand over the years for a SFL than a CT.
The difference here is one is a negation, one is an affirmation. Cutthroat is a thing; non-trading is an absence of a thing. The SFL movement is not united around wanting to do something; it is united around wanting to not do something. They aren't asking for a buff, but instead for a nerf so drastic, so powerful, they believe the only way their pleas would be heard is if they offered to segregate themselves from the majority of the population, which would continue in an unnerfed state.

As such, someone believing that the SFL would be an improvement for their gameplay is a lot like believing nerfing a powerful, popular would improve their gameplay; in contrast, someone wanting more Cutthroat is a lot like believing buffing a particular skill one enjoys would improve their gameplay. In the case of Cutthroat, the effects are far more predictable and benefits far more direct.

If an SFL were created today, SFL supporters would feel something akin to the joy of the long kill, finally defeating a foe they've sought vengeance against for so long. But after vengeance is completed, what then?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 23, 2014, 5:47:14 AM
SFL is not a 'nerf', its a different gameplay style. Unless you consider HC being a "nerf on the amount of lives you have".

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The SFL movement is not united around wanting to do something; it is united around wanting to not do something.

I can do semantic juggling too: HC movement is united around wanting to not do something, to not die. Why HC needs a separate league? -_-

E:
And you are wrong Scrootie, SFL peole want more crafting & more H&S looting, for the price of 'less' (ie. none) trading. Its a fair deal of wanting to experience more ARPG over less economy simulator.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Mar 23, 2014, 5:54:16 AM
"
morbo wrote:
HC movement is united around wanting to not do something, to not die.
No, it's united around rerolling when you inevitably do.
"
morbo wrote:
SFL peole want more crafting & more H&S looting, for the price of 'less' (ie. none) trading.
In that case, how do you suggest improving crafting and H&S looting?

Because removing trading won't improve either of those any more than nerfing spells helps melee (or vice versa).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 23, 2014, 6:15:57 AM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Since I'm not that big of a trader anyway, or usually I should say, RMT doesn't affect me as much as those who solely rely on trading for their gear.

I just don't want it in a league if it's possible. If the downside is you cannot trade, that downside is meh to me. This is why I'm such a stickler about not raising the droprates. I've never really had a problem advancing.

+1. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Because removing trading won't improve either of those any more than nerfing spells helps melee.

There's been many suggestion about improving them. The main problem is the absolute randomness of everything, that needs to be in place in a global economy scenario. In a scenario without economy, there would need to be more determinism.

Even you posted a thread about skewed looting (similar to D3 'loot 2.0'), that would be more usable for your build. I have a simple idea of 'altars', where you would sacrifice an <item type> & some arbitrary currency, to skew drops toward <item type>. Or similar stuff under player control, not RNG god whim.

For crafting there's lots of improvements that could be made, eg. make hi lvl items (the ones that require you to grind all the way up to 77 / 78 maps, which is quite a feat) spawn higher tier mods, instead of low useless garbage.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Mar 23, 2014, 6:24:20 AM
Loving the back and forth with ways to perfect a SFL, but wouldn't it be best to try one out within the current development time/resource constraints and then see if it's worth developing from there?

p.
"
morbo wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Because removing trading won't improve either of those any more than nerfing spells helps melee.

There's been many suggestion about improving them. The main problem is the absolute randomness of everything, that needs to be in place in a global economy scenario. In a scenario without economy, there would need to be more determinism.

Even you posted a thread about skewed looting (similar to D3 'loot 2.0'), that would be more usable for your build.

Actually that is very very simple even in PoE without any smart mechanism or anything:
Your loot tend to be same base type (not tier) with your equipped gear.

You want more ES/Armor torso? hunt loot wearing one.
You want a 2-handed sword? Grab one and start killing stuff!

Simple solution which promotes playing more at the same time.
Last edited by symban on Mar 23, 2014, 6:52:22 AM
"
Septile wrote:
"
morbo wrote:
The truth is PoE is designed as a tradecore game from the ground up. GGG will do everything to avoid a SFL, even a test one, which could shatter this ideology of 'trading uber alles' and find out that people vastly prefer rewarding H&S & crafting gameplay, over sitting in tradechat.

explain why you think GGG has trading as an important element in the game.

Because they've said so on multiple occasions.

Edit: Not saying I agree with it. I personally hate the process of trading. I still participate in it, but it's not something I enjoy.
Last edited by tikitaki on Mar 23, 2014, 7:30:10 AM
"
morbo wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Even you posted a thread about skewed looting (similar to D3 'loot 2.0'), that would be more usable for your build. I have a simple idea of 'altars', where you would sacrifice an <item type> & some arbitrary currency, to skew drops toward <item type>. Or similar stuff under player control, not RNG god whim.

For crafting there's lots of improvements that could be made, eg. make hi lvl items (the ones that require you to grind all the way up to 77 / 78 maps, which is quite a feat) spawn higher tier mods, instead of low useless garbage.
All stuff I've said in the past (except the altars thing, which I don't particularly care for).

All stuff which has nothing to do with a SFL.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 23, 2014, 8:07:19 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
All stuff which has nothing to do with a SFL.

wut???

Easier gearing up through looting / crafitng to compensate for the lack of trading, has nothing to do with SFL?
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info