A Veteran's Proposal for a Self Found League - Poll Included!

Since I'm not that big of a trader anyway, or usually I should say, RMT doesn't affect me as much as those who solely rely on trading for their gear.

I just don't want it in a league if it's possible. If the downside is you cannot trade, that downside is meh to me. This is why I'm such a stickler about not raising the droprates. I've never really had a problem advancing.
against sfl although i hate trading in poe.

the main reason is simple, for a sfl ggg would have to increase orb drop rates.
but who has been spoiled cannot be unspoiled, i saw it even on me when orb drop rates reduced significantly after closed beta, the game was less rewarding and less fun. for a long time i demanded orb rewards for race participation as before. to no avail though.

if a sfl with increased orb drop rates is introduced you get the forum splattered with "party leagues not rewarding", "cannot craft in default", "main game boring" etc.

then somebody already mentioned stash tabs, they're not needed if you can stash away your biggest findings effectively after converting them to currency to buy gear for your char later. that means the "stash tabs are pay to win" - argument will come up in a sfl because people have to stash away a huge amount of real items and are (more or less) forced to pay for tabs.

as a consequence ggg would have to change recipes for the sfl so players selling uniques get a equal reward from the ingame trader, i don't know how people from other leagues would like that.

finally, why play an online game with other players if you can't interact with them by exchanging items? or steal them? sfl is basically turning poe more or less into an offline game with bots.

@stealing: on a related note: for a healthy economy and to equalize the playerbase i would introduce a weekly challenge for the 3 "richest" players in poe, they have the option to keep their whealth if they win or lose up to one third of it. if they refuse to participate they lose half their items and orbs.
Last edited by cronus on Mar 22, 2014, 10:38:26 PM
"
morbo wrote:
How big population does a CT league appeal to? I think the number of possible SFL players is way underestimated.

I also would guess the potential CT will reach in its maturity wont surpass HC league (not invasion, the standard HC). However a SFL league would probably reach or may even surpass standard league.

But it is silly to expect SFL in a MMO, and while it has some ARPG feel, PoE is definitely more MMO.
I remember before, and after d3 was released, people were saying PoE needed an AH very similarly to how people are now saying PoE needs a self-found league. Now that d3 removed the AH you don't see anybody who isn't trolling when they request an auction house. With d3 basically being a singleplayer game you can only play online now, I imagine it won't be long before we see the pitfalls of what people are requesting with sfl.
"
Septile wrote:
I remember before, and after d3 was released, people were saying PoE needed an AH very similarly to how people are now saying PoE needs a self-found league. Now that d3 removed the AH you don't see anybody who isn't trolling when they request an auction house. With d3 basically being a singleplayer game you can only play online now, I imagine it won't be long before we see the pitfalls of what people are requesting with sfl.

My *guess* is that proponents of SFL don't want the changes akin to loot 2.0, which as far as a long term game is concerned, will be disastrous. They went to the extreme end of the spectrum, and as such, will see the worst possible outcome occur quite rapidly. That being the gear curve will be so far skewed to the right, I expect to see complaints about "crappy" drops pretty soon
Thanks everyone with your replies, appreciate the sensible nature of the debate in here. Scrotie particularly, you raise some great food for thought.

I had a good chat to Sl4y3r last night about the loot aspect. For me, whether or not loot rates are dropped is a detail.

I actually don't believe you need loot rates increased to progress self found in PoE - so under the theme of "don't let perfect be the enemy of good", I'd certainly support a test SFL without any increase in drop rates so as to avoid the "people can't be unspoiled" phenomenon (which I concede is probably true).

I really don't see why we can't at least have a test SFL to garner a more sensible database of player response towards it.

P.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Mar 23, 2014, 3:12:45 AM
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I really don't see why we can't at least have a test SFL to garner a more sensible database of player response towards it.
Because leagues cost money, because leagues cost developer time.

This doesn't mean I'm wholly against the idea. If you want to do a paid league with a "for science!" motivation, I'd actually applaud you.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
mrpetrov wrote:

This doesn't mean I'm wholly against the idea. If you want to do a paid league with a "for science!" motivation, I'd actually applaud you.

Yup, indeed I would (I even put it in my OP!). Perhaps I should take this offline with GGG directly, if there really is a cost prohibitive element to it.

P.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

How much money does a 1 month race with disabled trading & PA cost? A lot more money than a regular 1 month race? More money than a separate CT league, catering to even a smaller (imo) audience than SFL?

All I'm hearing is excuses. The truth is PoE is designed as a tradecore game from the ground up. GGG will do everything to avoid a SFL, even a test one, which could shatter this ideology of 'trading uber alles' and find out that people vastly prefer rewarding H&S & crafting gameplay, over sitting in tradechat.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Mar 23, 2014, 3:50:45 AM
"
morbo wrote:
All I'm hearing is excuses. The truth is PoE is designed as a tradecore game from the ground up. GGG will do everything to avoid a SFL, even a test one, which could shatter this ideology of 'trading uber alles' and find out that people vastly prefer rewarding H&S & crafting gameplay, over sitting in tradechat.

Sad but true...
Anticipation slowly dissipates...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info