GGG fooling people with beta invites.

"
slickysan wrote:
they should call this an alpha, the beta must be in the thousands to be considered a -proper- beta.

You're confusing the terms alpha and beta which are designed to indicate where the game is at in the development process with the scale of the test.

A game can be in the beta stage without being open to the public at all.

GGG have said the game is in a small closed beta test, with a much larger open beta planed for later, so peoples expectations that everyone should get in NOW! are wholly unfounded.
"
SethRa wrote:

People are still excited as they see beta keys are given out.
Everybody have high hopes for getting a key but keys are mainly given out to inactive/passive users.
Those keys are never used.
But the number of new active users who are going to activate their beta account and actually try out the game is very low.
They already have enough beta testers and there is no need for more.
I understand computer games are a business and GGG needs to keep people interested in the game while Diablo 3 is knocking at the door.

It's so obvious.
"
SethRa wrote:
Beta timer gives out keys to users who have registered on this page months ago and never posted or visited the page again. This is where the fooling part kicks in...

People are still excited as they see beta keys are given out. Everybody have high hopes for getting a key but keys are mainly given out to inactive/passive users. Those keys are never used. This means the total amount of beta users is increasing. But the number of new active users who are going to activate their beta account and actually try out the game is very low. They already have enough beta testers and there is no need for more.

I understand computer games are a business and GGG needs to keep people interested in the game while Diablo 3 is knocking at the door.

This is my opinion about the current situation, feel free to express yours.

Sign
"
Faster wrote:
"
SethRa wrote:
Beta timer gives out keys to users who have registered on this page months ago and never posted or visited the page again. This is where the fooling part kicks in...

People are still excited as they see beta keys are given out. Everybody have high hopes for getting a key but keys are mainly given out to inactive/passive users. Those keys are never used. This means the total amount of beta users is increasing. But the number of new active users who are going to activate their beta account and actually try out the game is very low. They already have enough beta testers and there is no need for more.

yep
Some points for the OP and everyone else to consider:

• The main difference between this closed beta invite system and the ones used in different games is that this one shows the entire community who is being invited. If there was no timer (or it wasn't shown) we would have just as many "are people still being invited?" threads as we do complaint threads.
  • As you said, GGG might actually be happy with the current number of testers. If that is the truth, everyone should be grateful that the timer is still inviting. If they were unhappy with the current number, they would do something to invite more people, right?
  • You're assuming that accounts that didn't log in after creation won't play and test the game. This isn't true; I'm a prime example of someone who never logged in, but read the forums and news daily. Seeing all the complaints being posted now, I don't blame people for not wanting to be active on the forums.
  • Many of the 124,000+ accounts were created by dishonest people to cheat the system that started off being fair to everyone. Blame these cheaters, not GGG, for the majority of the inactive accounts that are invited.
  • Inviting only active forum members would do nothing but create more spam.
  • Inviting only accounts that log in would just slow the server.

The number of people playing at any given time is largely influenced by time of day. When I play in the morning (American CST), there are usually 100-110 online. When I play at night, there are usually 150+. Considering that most people don't play all day, we can safely assume that multiple times those amounts are logging in each day, at different times. A value is just a value when you can't see who is actually online when you check.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Sep 19, 2011, 11:33:11 AM
Yeah after seeing 100+ People actively chasing keys (@stream) I gave up on all key hunting. Why? Cause the chance to the poster to be real. The Chance of winning the key if its real.
"
SethRa wrote:

I would have to say, this is a closed beta, not everyone gets in.

Some sooner than others, some later.
If you really want to get in, try to post helpful posts, try to be active, make some friends, and maybe, just maybe, someone will say "Screw the random timer!" and hand your deserving self a friend invite.

Try it out.
If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?
"
Takiah wrote:
So you guys that keep raging about beta keys, do you what GGG to give now, let's say 5000 keys, then to end giving up keys?

With this random thingy you still have a chance. Other games have one wave of beta invites and that's it.

Think of Diablo 3, soooo many players there and only a few will receive an invite to closed beta.

I know everyone wants a beta key, but this will not happen do get over it!

But I know people in Blizzard...so I get a garanteed invite. Not so much for PoE :(
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Derpy!
"
"
Takiah wrote:
So you guys that keep raging about beta keys, do you what GGG to give now, let's say 5000 keys, then to end giving up keys?

With this random thingy you still have a chance. Other games have one wave of beta invites and that's it.

Think of Diablo 3, soooo many players there and only a few will receive an invite to closed beta.

I know everyone wants a beta key, but this will not happen do get over it!

But I know people in Blizzard...so I get a garanteed invite. Not so much for PoE :(

Blizzard is a corrupt, money-hungry company. They do things like let people in just for knowing someone that works there.

Grind Gear Games doesn't work like that.

They are the first professional company to come out with a game and specifically emphasize and stick to the fact that they will not release any overpowered Cash Shop items or services.

They deserve the utmost respect just for that aspect, and of course much more.

Either way, giving active forum members a key won't hurt the company as long as they don't no life.. I know some that do, but I and many others have lives out of the forums and game.

By the way guys. GGG has said before that their server is optimized for a moderate amount of players. They plan to have it ready for huge numbers when OBT starts.

My guess is that they will have to increase the town sizes to fit the growing population when OBT starts.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info