Vaal Double Strike

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
what's the letdown? it doesn't have your weapon, so it won't proc. no surprises there.

"
Performs two fast attacks on target enemy with your main hand melee weapon, and summons your double for a duration to continuously attack monsters in this fashion.

I guess we have a different interpretation for the word "double".
The countless times I mistook my MTX pet for prey... huehehehe
but thats not how summons work, they don't have your items. only guardian has items and its based on what's given to it. animate weapon too but thats temporary. ranged totem and blink/mirror uses the values of your weapon to do stuff, same for mines and traps. everything that is made by you, isn't you, thus doesn't have your equipment.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
but thats not how summons work, they don't have your items. only guardian has items and its based on what's given to it. animate weapon too but thats temporary. ranged totem and blink/mirror uses the values of your weapon to do stuff, same for mines and traps. everything that is made by you, isn't you, thus doesn't have your equipment.

Pretty much Vaal Double Strike is the black sheep of the group. All the other things you mentioned would proc "on hit" effects.
That's precisely what Soul is saying. Totems, Traps and Mines proc your shit because they literally use your items - Summons are separate entities that do not use your items. Vaal Double Strike falls under the latter category.
Ok, my ignorance of summoner related things is showing well.

The double doesn't use my equipment, but it actually does (just the Mjolner). How else would you calculate Vaal Double Strike's DPS?
The double just uses the 1st (maybe just this affix) and 3rd affix and base stats of the Mjolner and no other piece of equipment I'm wearing, correct?

I think what I forgot/confused me was that:

Minions cannot use Skill/Support gems socketed in the weapon being used to summon the minion if any. Mjolner procs socketed lightning skill gems, so it doesn't work with the summoned "double".

What kept me from getting it right was how mirror/blink arrow used with an Infractem bow (arrows always pierce) allowed the clone's arrows to always pierce. The always pierce mod doesn't need a socketed gem to work, unlike the Mjolner.

If I used Vaal Double Strike with a Prismatic Eclipse, would the colored sockets affect my Double's phys damage, attack speed, mana leech, and/or weapon range? Or are sockets of a weapon also ignored? I will test this later if I remember to do so.

Vaal Double Strike + Jack, the Axe (or the other 2 bleed on hit uniques) = your Double makes the target bleed while you use a skill supported by Bloodlust.
Last edited by Quintovir on Aug 24, 2015, 2:07:42 PM
"

The double doesn't use my equipment, but it actually does (just the Mjolner). How else would you calculate Vaal Double Strike's DPS?
The double doesn't technically use any of your equipment - it does use your skill. Just like how a totem uses your skill, which is thus affected by your stats, the Double uses your Vaal Double Strike skill, with your stats.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"

The double doesn't technically use any of your equipment - it does use your skill. Just like how a totem uses your skill, which is thus affected by your stats, the Double uses your Vaal Double Strike skill, with your stats.

Kinda a wild question, if the double uses your Vaal Double Strike skill.. If it was linked to cast on melee kill or similar trigger gems could the double trigger these?
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"

Any plans to make it so the double inherits your current buffs as wellas your stats? I know this isn't the case for mirror arrow clones and technically haven't tested it for vaal ds clones, but would assume it's the same.
Get laid, get paid, drink Gatorade.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

how do support gems interact with vaal double strike? if the double uses your stats, it would use a theoretical double strike with the support gems it has link to vaal double strike? so something like added fire would increase the double's damage? thanks!

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
Last edited by HeaT1 on Aug 30, 2015, 2:24:36 PM
"
noname2tellu wrote:
Kinda a wild question, if the double uses your Vaal Double Strike skill.. If it was linked to cast on melee kill or similar trigger gems could the double trigger these?
No. It's using your Val Double Strike skill, but doesn't have access to your gems/other skill, so can't see any other skills to trigger.

"
TheMaker51 wrote:
Any plans to make it so the double inherits your current buffs as wellas your stats? I know this isn't the case for mirror arrow clones and technically haven't tested it for vaal ds clones, but would assume it's the same.
Buffs work by giving stats. If you have any buffs that would affect the use of the skill, they do so already. It's exactly like how totems work by using your skills.
The Mirror shot clones are entirely different, and not relevant to the Double. It works like a totem.

"
HeaT1 wrote:
how do support gems interact with vaal double strike? if the double uses your stats, it would use a theoretical double strike with the support gems it has link to vaal double strike? so something like added fire would increase the double's damage? thanks!-HeaT
It's using your Vaal Double Strike skill. That skill includes all the support gems that are applied to the base skill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info