Vaal Double Strike

"
jankoz wrote:
I love the concept on this gem! Having a shadow clone is really, really neat.

Yes; yes it is.

Gaming-history note: Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers) and Hyo Imawano (Rival Schools/Project Justice) utilize this technique.

It's still not clear from this thread whether the doppelganger can be attacked by enemies (in which case the various minion support gems would be relevant) or is a phantasm that nonetheless does real damage (created in Starcraft by High Templars and Ixian duplicator tanks in Emperor: Battle for Dune; the latter being very nasty against Ordos due to the Holtzmann Effect).
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
This is a mediocre Vaal skill. Good Vaal skills do one of two things: either help deal with powerful threats by killing them quickly, or help deal with them by providing some form of defense or utility. This doesn't provide utility — from what I can tell, the clone isn't attacked — but it does do rather decent damage, especially single-target damage.

The only thing holding this skill back is the AI of the clone. Sometimes it does fine, sometimes it gets confused and the player essentially wastes a bunch of Souls to get little or nothing. To help remedy this somewhat, the clone should get 40% increased movespeed at level 1, increasing to 59% increased movespeed at level 20. This would essentially simulate use of a Quicksilver Flask (of Adrenaline) during the clone's lifespan.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
This is a mediocre Vaal skill. Good Vaal skills do one of two things: either help deal with powerful threats by killing them quickly, or help deal with them by providing some form of defense or utility. This doesn't provide utility — from what I can tell, the clone isn't attacked — but it does do rather decent damage, especially single-target damage.

The only thing holding this skill back is the AI of the clone. Sometimes it does fine, sometimes it gets confused and the player essentially wastes a bunch of Souls to get little or nothing. To help remedy this somewhat, the clone should get 40% increased movespeed at level 1, increasing to 59% increased movespeed at level 20. This would essentially simulate use of a Quicksilver Flask (of Adrenaline) during the clone's lifespan.

clone attacks the target you attack. can get distracted by AOE attacks, but vs bosses treated with heavy strike or similar SINGLE target skill this is 100% reliable source of SUBSTANTIAL dmg
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

clone attacks the target you attack. can get distracted by AOE attacks, but vs bosses treated with heavy strike or similar SINGLE target skill this is 100% reliable source of SUBSTANTIAL dmg
Not disagreeing, but it's exclusively single-target in this regard. Once the first target is gone, all extra damage is utterly wasted. Would just be nice to have it spread a bit if the first target dies quickly.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
is this bad that this is single target only? i have it in 4L and the damage dealt is well worth the links esp vs enemies 'that if not killed quickly get angry and dangerous'

and btw - had no issues with switching targets
So, has anyone tried putting say, 3 of these into a helmet all supported by increase duration?

Then, used all three Vaal Double Strikes at once? Would that produce 3 doubles all attacking at once?

//inb4 shadow clone army.
"
MwHighlander wrote:
So, has anyone tried putting say, 3 of these into a helmet all supported by increase duration?

Then, used all three Vaal Double Strikes at once? Would that produce 3 doubles all attacking at once?

//inb4 shadow clone army.
even if that worked, it would take forever to charge.
The change to holding multiple uses is a huge boon for boss-killing with this skill!

Do y'all think there's any hope that it might be marked "Minion" in the future (like Blink/Mirror Arrow) so that it can scale from minion bonuses?
+
= Huge letdown
The countless times I mistook my MTX pet for prey... huehehehe
what's the letdown? it doesn't have your weapon, so it won't proc. no surprises there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info