Lightning Arrow (LA) Ranger Guide – From Beginning to End Game

Thanks for the smoke mine tip. Have you tried it on Stongboxes? Does it really blind all the monsters?

And yes you are right, I had 95 skill points at level 78. Problem is my Standard Ranger has had the skill points reset. So rather than guessing at what I did, I'll address that when I get there in Ambush.

"

It doesn't seem like we are very far apart in our approach.

So the whole reason to crit is to shock and freeze (not chill which doesn't depend on crit). Obviously this build does benefit from crit chance and also from crit damage multiplier. I will look at the guide again and make sure it mentions crit multiplier. I had over 300% crit damage multiplier primarily from gear in Standard.

And your comment about resists is basically the same as your crit comment except instead of taking resists from the tree you want it on gear.

So to answer the two above comments: I would say it just depends on the gear that is available to the player. If a player feels they don't have enough resists and or crit from gear it should be taken as passives from the skill tree. If a palyer invests their skills in resists and or crit nodes on the tree that later become available through gear, then they should use their Refund points and put their points to use in other areas.

Pierce is not fully developed in the guide as it has its complications -- namely it doesn't work so well with Fork and Chain (LMP seems to be the answer to these problems). All that being said I felt it was more of a benefit than a detraction to use Pierce. I will add in these comments to the guide for those wishing to develop Pierce and possibly the Drillneck Quiver.

Your Thick Skin comment is noted. I'm on the fence on this one and the Point Blank skill. I'm reconsidering taking Point Blank if Chin Sol isn't used.

I use minions and a flame totem. Your idea for a freeze totem sounds interesting and I will try it. Minions are very useful and it is just fun to take a tank down, resurrect them, and have them fighting on your side.

I appreciate all your comments and will use them to improve the Guide.

Edit: Guide updated as promised.

first of all, sorry for my bad english (also in the last reply) :D

resists: i wanted to highlight that the bandit reward is really expensive to respecc so its a little different to the crit/resist gear and tree discussion

pierce: atm im using la with GMP, quality pierce (to reach 100 %) etc. maybe something you want to try, since you already have specced it and a quality pierce is kind of cheap, also its very very efficient both mana and dmg-wise, and mana is a big problem with la ranger in my opinion

i hope my comments are understandable and thx 4 your feedback

greez

"
cptkule wrote:

first of all, sorry for my bad english (also in the last reply) :D

resists: i wanted to highlight that the bandit reward is really expensive to respecc so its a little different to the crit/resist gear and tree discussion

pierce: atm im using la with GMP, quality pierce (to reach 100 %) etc. maybe something you want to try, since you already have specced it and a quality pierce is kind of cheap, also its very very efficient both mana and dmg-wise, and mana is a big problem with la ranger in my opinion

i hope my comments are understandable and thx 4 your feedback

greez

On the Bandit reward, it seems like the resist reward is the best option. An 8% gain in all resists isn't offered in the skill tree, so why pass it up.

Thanks for the Pierce suggestion. I'll consider the gem, however I'm not a fan of GMP as I feel it reduces damage per arrow too much.

Thanks for your comments.

"
Skywalkerfx wrote:
Part III - POE Lightning Arrow (LA) Ranger Guide – From Beginning to End Game – Build Conclusion

1. Your bow is your key piece of gear. To be a successful Ranger your bow has to have high damage for the level you are playing. I encourage you to trade for bows with high physical damage. It is extremely difficult to play self-found as a Ranger.

Would you be able to provide an idea of how much % Physical Damange increase and # to # increase to Physical Damage would be appropriate as you're leveling up?

I'm trying your build and at Level 20 - wondering how good a bow is really "good" for me at this point.

Thanks
Last edited by AlfaTangOh on Mar 31, 2014, 12:45:19 PM
"
AlfaTangOh wrote:

Would you be able to provide an idea of how much % Physical Damange increase and # to # increase to Physical Damage would be appropriate as you're leveling up?

I'm trying your build and at Level 20 - wondering how good a bow is really "good" for me at this point.

Thanks

I can't give you numbers like that but I will tell you that the non-tank white monsters should die in two to three bow shots. If you are getting closer to 3 to 4 shots you defintely need more bow damage.
Another way to tell a bow upgrade is due is when you see white bows dropping that do more "base damage" then the bow you are using. This is an indication that you have crossed a bow damage level and need to be thinking of an upgrade.
Another good idea is to keep your eye on unique bows and see what level they will be usable by your character.

This dropped for me this morning from a random rare monster on a Level 66 Dunes map.

I was using gear with about 180% IIR and 19% IIQ and playing solo.

I guess it was just RNG luck as the best drop I had before this was a

As I mentioned in the Guide, it helps to get your IIQ and IIR up for drops. Of course this will cut your DPS and defenses down somewhat, but if you are running solo, you really should get sensible magic find gear and do most of your running with it on.

So if you have to drop a few levels when you are farming, I think it is entirely worth it.

I will do some gear shopping when I sell the axe and post the new gear up.

I will update the guide with this info.

Gear updated and stats posted at the bottom of the Guide in the April 5th Update.

Thanks for reading!

Thank you for posting this guide...super helpful and glad to see you continue updating it as you advance in the game :)
I'm tinkering around with a LA ranger a bit and have started using this guide since I know nothing about archers in POE.

After reading the comments on this thread, what do you think of this build?

210% Life, 259% Combined Inc Damage, 49% Combined Inc Attack Speed, 315% Crit%, 30% Crit Mult, Aura nodes, Acro/Phase Acro/Ondar's
It looks pretty solid. Lightning Arrow uses a lot of mana so you may need more mana nodes early on or you will have to compensate with mana leech and mana regen on gear or use a blood magic gem.

I also noticed that you skipped the life and evasion nodes at the Ranger start. Brutus may be difficult for you if you don't know how to kite him. It's usually nice to have buffed some life and evasion before meeting him.

Other than that, you will just have to see how it plays out and be willing to make gear changes or change your skill tree.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info