Lightning Arrow (LA) Ranger Guide – From Beginning to End Game

Random Q: are you the same Skywalker of D3 Witch Doctor fame? If so, kudos
Yes one and the same. Bailed from D3 shorttly after the announcement of their no-trade policy. A lot of players left then and I figured it was time to pick up PoE again.

Thanks again for your previous response regarding bow damage.

"
Skywalkerfx wrote:

2. Defense/Evasion/Armor –Evasion will be our main defense which is supplied by Dexterity and can be found on all non-weapon gear. As chest pieces have the highest evasion ratings of all gear, I suggest you wear the best rare or unique chest piece that you can afford. Basing our defense on evasion also allows us to use Acrobatics for an additional 30% chance to dodge attacks.

Dragging evasion is a bad thing as you will get hit too much. Try to keep it at 50% or higher (to check press C for character screen and then click on the Defense tab). Evasion erodes as you level because monsters gain more accuracy (chance to hit). So you will have to manage your evasion throughout the game.

What about Iron Reflexes?
Let’s put this dragon to rest. Many popular bow builds out there take the Iron Reflexes Keystone. Iron Reflexes converts all Evasion to Armor. The problem with Armor is it only defends against physical damage. Why would a player choose to give up a chance to evade all attacks to have a boatload of protection against one type of attack? Armor is good for going toe to toe with end game bosses, but I think the evasion/dodge route is more viable for a Ranger.

Would it be prudent to have both Armor and Evasion? It would be hard to reach the desired level of both, but would having some of both help with mobs and bosses?

If you're not depending on a large amount of life, and don't grab the Unwavering Stance node, how do you avoid being stunned?

Besides the Ranger, I thought to try this build with a Templar as a starting point, grabbing the conversion from melee damage over to projo damage. Its a bit tankier, but you don't reach your potential for damage until later on (given all the same gear).

Last edited by AlfaTangOh on May 27, 2014, 7:29:06 AM
Yes you could play a bow build with both armor and evasion in which case you would not use Acrobatics since it reduces your armor by 50%. I would still recommend Ondar's Guile if you are going to be in the Ranger skill tree for the double evasion against projectile attacks.

The Templar has some interesting armor and resist bonuses so it is certainly worth trying.

I'm not a fan of unwavering stance as you give up your chance to evade to avoid stun.

At the beginning of the Ranger tree you can grab "Heart of Oak" and the two nodes on the top and bottom of it which reduces stun chance by 60%. Not sure what the best bet is if you don't come over to the Ranger skill tree.

If you do take unwavering stance you might want to go with Iron Reflexes since your Evasion wouldn't do you much good. In which case you would want to ignore Ondar's Guile.

Edited and corrected thanks Asidra

Last edited by Skywalkerfx on May 27, 2014, 2:28:39 PM
"
Skywalkerfx wrote:
Yes you could play a bow build with both armor and evasion in which case you would not use Acrobatics since it reduces your armor by 50%. I would still recommend Ondar's Guile if you are going to be in the Ranger skill tree for the double evasion against projectile attacks.

The Templar has some interesting armor and resist bonuses so it is certainly worth trying.

I'm not a fan of unwavering stance as you give up all your crit chance and crit damage. If you are going to play a bow user then it is better to use a lioneye's glare which in effect gives you 100% accuracy.

Another problem with giving up crit is that you can't freeze or shock unless you have certain uniques or you grab skill tree nodes.

At the beginning of the Ranger tree you can grab "Heart of Oak" and the two nodes on the top and bottom of it which reduces stun chance by 60%. Not sure what the best bet is if you don't come over to the Ranger skill tree.

I think you got Resolute Technique (100% Accuracy, no crits) and Unwavering Stance (cannot be stunned) confused.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
"
Asidra wrote:

I think you got Resolute Technique (100% Accuracy, no crits) and Unwavering Stance (cannot be stunned) confused.

Yes I did. Thank you and comment corrected.

"
Skywalkerfx wrote:
Yes one and the same. Bailed from D3 shorttly after the announcement of their no-trade policy. A lot of players left then and I figured it was time to pick up PoE again.

In D3 my main was a monk, secondary a Wiz, and then the WD. I remember learning a lot from your WD posts, so thanks. Stopped D3 about a year ago, but only came to POE this year and really enjoying it. Oddly the one thing I'm not so keen on is the difficulty in trading and crafting, I wish crafting was more viable for the non-uber rich. My 1st toon was an ice crit bowman as I tried to relive some of my D2 freeze builds, which I later changed to LA. Now leveling another bowman, as in Ambush I dived into trading and so can finally afford decent gear.

GL buddy, hope your Ranger is as OP as I recall your WD to have been
"
crushkyle wrote:

In D3 my main was a monk, secondary a Wiz, and then the WD. I remember learning a lot from your WD posts, so thanks. Stopped D3 about a year ago, but only came to POE this year and really enjoying it. Oddly the one thing I'm not so keen on is the difficulty in trading and crafting, I wish crafting was more viable for the non-uber rich. My 1st toon was an ice crit bowman as I tried to relive some of my D2 freeze builds, which I later changed to LA. Now leveling another bowman, as in Ambush I dived into trading and so can finally afford decent gear.

GL buddy, hope your Ranger is as OP as I recall your WD to have been

Yes trading takes a while to get used to and I do miss the anonymous trading of the much maligned D3 auction houses. But PoE is fun and unlike D3 the Devs do listen to the community which makes a big difference.

Anyway, welcome and hope I see you around.

Hi there. First, thanks for the build. I'm playing D3 too. But it is starting to kinda boring so i started PoE. I played PoE few months ago but my build owner didnt update the build then i quited untill now.
I'm in Cruel Act 1 now. I think it is a perfect build as far as i can say and Passive Tree is easy to follow but gems/support etc. arent. This is my second +40 lvl char so it is kinda complicated for me. Can u explain ur skills and support gems like LA - LMP - Faster Projectiles - 4th xxx - 5 xxx? Thanks in advance.
Btw u're still playing D3 i guess?
I would say depending on what kind of other gear you have-

Five link: LA + LMP + Faster Attacks + Physical Projectile Attack Damage + (Life on Hit/Life Leech if no leech on gear or reflect is a problem at higher levels) or Added Cold Damage or Added Fire Damage

Another option for the fifth or sixth gem slot is Pierce or Chain (but you can't use both at the same time).

Feel free to experiment. It is very important that you keep your mana at a sufficient level to have continuous attack -- so you may have to use a gem slot for a mana leech gem (or a less desirable solution - blood magic) to keep a high firing rate.

See also Mr. Panini_aux_olives' Generic Physical Bow Ranger Guide at http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/958574 for a more in-depth discussion of gem choices and how they work. He also has a great acronym list.

And no I don't play D3 anymore and really I don't miss it. The environment at PoE is totally different than the big business corporate attitude of Blizzard. These guys do a great job here, and they listen to their players. Stick around a while and you may give up D3 for good too.

Last edited by Skywalkerfx on Jul 1, 2014, 8:08:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info