Effective Non-expensive Builds

I`m kinda of new in the game and still trying to decide which build I will try next. I started with the Marauder Guide for Newbies build and want to try another one now. I have been looking some popular build threads but still haven`t decided.

Well, title says it all, I dont have much currency, so it has to be cheap. Definition of "effective" and "non-expensive" I leave open to each one. In my case, I`d say around 10ex or less. And feel free to suggest any style of play, I`d like to see some builds and decide which one I would like better.

Edit: to play in softcore in my case
Last edited by spr4ts on Feb 15, 2014, 7:13:49 PM
Costs FAR less than 10 ex to gear (including a 5L chest), and I've facetanked just about every boss in the game with it (except Shock and Horror...dat taser noodle is OP).

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/704063/page/1
Last edited by Gallowmere1984 on Feb 15, 2014, 6:19:28 PM
For fun sake, I suggest you to avoid "guides". I see too many people cutting through the content by applying a cookie-cutter build without any knowledge of the game and then start to think they need X overpowered item to have fun.

Too many of these people are complaining on the forums because they don't understand the game.

My opinion
Last edited by PureLaine on Feb 15, 2014, 6:21:45 PM
"
PureLaine wrote:
For fun sake, I suggest you to avoid "guides". I see too many people cutting through the content without any knowledge of the game and then start to think they need X overpowered item to have fun.

To many of these people are complaining on the forums because they don't understand the game.

My opinion

I can agree with that. To be fair though, what I tend to do is take multiple guides that have the same premise, toss in my own knowledge of mechanics, and try out different gemming strategies over time. For example, that build that I linked is very similar to what I now run, but I changed it to work with a Templar, and I heavily modified the gemming based on my own findings.
"
"
PureLaine wrote:
For fun sake, I suggest you to avoid "guides". I see too many people cutting through the content without any knowledge of the game and then start to think they need X overpowered item to have fun.

To many of these people are complaining on the forums because they don't understand the game.

My opinion

I can agree with that. To be fair though, what I tend to do is take multiple guides that have the same premise, toss in my own knowledge of mechanics, and try out different gemming strategies over time. For example, that build that I linked is very similar to what I now run, but I changed it to work with a Templar, and I heavily modified the gemming based on my own findings.
That is a good way to use guides tho.
Going Spectral Throw is pretty easy and works well enough to farm Piety reasonably efficiently for a build that requires little currency investment.

All you need to do is take 2-hander and health nodes and have your ST linked to LMP, LL/LGoH, and Faster Attacks. You can augment your tree with things like EB + MoM and Iron Grip but all in all ST builds are pretty forgiving of less optimal decisions, before endgame anyway.

You can make leveling super easy by getting Limbsplit -> Geofri's -> Rigvald's

Once you can farm Piety then it can be a good investment to get a Reaper's Pursuit to put in your weapon switch with Culling + IIQ + IIR in it.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
"
Costs FAR less than 10 ex to gear (including a 5L chest), and I've facetanked just about every boss in the game with it (except Shock and Horror...dat taser noodle is OP).

Thks, I checked the thread, will consider some build like that. Just didnt like having to stand still though.

And thanks for all answers. About trying to make a build on my own, I just dont think I`m able to right now. I dont even know the possibilities, all the gems, passives and the synergies I can use. I`d rather know the game better before I try something.
Last edited by spr4ts on Feb 15, 2014, 8:35:59 PM
"
spr4ts wrote:
"

Thks, I checked the thread, will consider some build like that. Just didnt like having to stand still though.

And thanks for all answers. About trying to make a build on my own, I just dont think I`m able to right now. I dont even know the possibilities, all the gems, passives and the synergies I can use. I`d rather know the game better before I try something.

The best advice I can think to give someone regarding builds: we're no longer at a stage where people are having to guesstimate (too much) about effects of stats and links (with a few minor exceptions, but those are usually things like IIR/IIQ and effect on RNG). Figure out a general idea of what kind of skills you would like to use, then look up the actual gem info on the wiki, and look around the forums at what various people have tried linking them with, and the results.

When all else fails, don't be scared to ask questions. Despite all of the occasional rage, this game has one of the most helpful communities that I've ever come across.
Summoners have it a little tough through normal but will cruise through cruel and merciless, at least to act 3.x.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Summoners have it a little tough through normal but will cruise through cruel and merciless, at least to act 3.x.

Since the changes in 1.0.6, I've found summoner leveling to be a breeze, relatively speaking. I jumped into the Domination one week for a bit, and soloed up to A3 cruel within about 9 hours, which is a LOT more than I can say for the state of summoners before the patch. Granted, I was using Flameblast to do most of the killing, and the minions were more like distractions at that stage. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info