[2.0.0] maxBo's SplitArrow/Frenzy Guide (new lvl77 Shrine Vid, HC Viable))

"
kompaniet wrote:
"
sylekta wrote:
people with mana problems
you arnt doing enough damage

post your gear, i suspect you have a high attack speed bow but low dps
try going for a lower attacks speed bow so frenzy doesnt murder your mana and you hit harder to get more out of the nerfed mana leech

i have yet to transition to using coc+ek(not enuf crit and still have a thicket), using split+faster attacks+added fire+ppad and doing 4k dps with 7 frenzy charges at lvl74, can sustain my mana no problems

I'm using lioneye. Not gonna change to some other bow. Also i am lvl 81 and i started this build with the free respec at lvl 81.

Have to use a mana flask pretty often. So what to do? How come i am the only one with mana problems? What did i do wrong. Thanks.

Get 4% Mana Leech on your neck such as the one I have here
, also you could use Clarity with determination if you are struggling for mana.
*** UPDATED LEVELGUIDE ***

Level 1-40 Covered due to my own lvl40 Ranger in invasion
Ingame: maxboo

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/786795 maxBoo´s Ranger Guids Over 300.000

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1205678 HotW Submission
First of all thanks for the guide. I love the build and while I'm trying it out on softcore atm, I'll give it a invasion try later for sure.

Some brainstorming:
1) Hatred aura is imo a must have on this build. It affects EK and SA, adding a 40%++ DPS boost, that is not physical (thus not escalating reflect damage problems). In addition it actually adds more survival than grace. Most mobs are frozen, some are chilled. This causes a lot of damage mitigation (+things die faster and don't get to hit you. Also it makes the granite flask one runs anyway, more useful.

2) With the 6 extra nodes in auras, we can run a second aura. Depending on gear, difficult and situation, it can be Purity, Wraith, Haste or Grace. The problem here is: we reduce our mana available (even with the 6 aura nodes)

3) The solution is running clarity with blood magic. It's 300 reserved HP, but we can get the HP back, by skipping on some regen and mana leech.

4) I agree to the 4L setup. The 5L setup however, I really like adding Arc. The damage of arc is mediocre, since we don't spec into spell damage. However, it works great with the chain gem, it hits BEFORE the EK, applying random shock stacks and increasing our damage output a LOT (and it also looks great). It also doesn't escalate the physical reflect problem. Faster attacks is still a good option, but with the mana leech nerf and the already high clear speed of SA+Hatred+EK+Arc it seems overkill. Besides with all the attack speed nodes we can pick up and the frenzy stacks, I dont find it too important.

5) It seems like the harbinger bow and the thicket bow are the top 2 picks. I wouldn't pick lionsarch personally. You either need attack speed or crit. I think quill rain can work too, but would require more clarity levels.

6) "Skip revenge of the Hunted". For 5 trait points you get 18% max life, 28% evasion and 4% phys damage and 20 dex. For the same 5 trait points you can get 12% attack speed, 30 dex and 40% armor+evasion and extra movement speed from ignoring the armor penalty. We gain more physical damage mitigation, more damage (attack speed->more procs), more dex and the extra movementspeed helps with MF, survival, damage, clear times etc. Alternatively get Heart of the oak.

7) This build is all about flask optimization imo.

I'm considering this as a final build:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAdEEfgW1DPIOSA-rEZYV8BmKGf4ajyF2I_Yk_SaVKaUtgy9vMHwx-jKUNj051DpYPs9KfU4qUUdTNVVLVvpaGlpIW69f4WHiYqxnoGqTayRtbG17b_JwUnC7cNV293fXfXV_An8rhs6HGYd2iGuMNo19lQWV6ZcGm42btZ2jnaqgn6EioaSiQKXLpuCn1Kp_qriv67EwtUi2Qbvjvea-p8APwFHEosqp0k3TftUA1e3WndkT2cbcFd0N4dvjhOdU53TuDu967_DwQvPq9Pj22vlj-wn8q_zF_rr-yA==

I'm not sure about the heart of the oak points, but the massive dex, stun protection and prevention, accuracy and attack speed bonuses sound convincing. Alternatively (or if one should reach 90+) investing into the lightning and cold nodes (shadow) should provide a major damage boost.

Atm I'm running level 68-70 maps easily (don't have higher yet), with pretty mediocre gear (random 165 pDPS harbinger, 5link level 53 armor (life, 2x resis, regaled) maligaros, wurms, all other items 1-5c random drop rares).
Please don't PM me ingame with filter/guide questions, post them on the forum, after reading the FAQ.
Last edited by NeverSink on Mar 12, 2014, 6:55:23 AM
Some good points here Dude but... your skilltree lacks SO MUCH of HP increase....

you have about 92% less HP increase...thats huge load 2-3k HP :D

-What do you get for this?! More Attackspeed = more dmg (surviveabillity-)
-You can run barely 2 Auras for a lil dmg buff...sustaining mana could be a problem now! -
-You have Heart of Oak and a lil bit more +Evasion% +

:) :)

------

Didn tested arc, I just feel Faster Attacks bring smoother gameplayfeeling!!
Running Clarity with bloodmagic to run hatred aura...i dont know....its dmg for life, dont like that

Revenger of the hunted: I choose 18% life over attackspeed and armor increase :) ...still looking to get rid of revenge of the hunted

Thx for feedback dude!
Ingame: maxboo

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/786795 maxBoo´s Ranger Guids Over 300.000

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1205678 HotW Submission
"
First of all thanks for the guide. I love the build and while I'm trying it out on softcore atm, I'll give it a invasion try later for sure.

Some brainstorming:
1) Hatred aura is imo a must have on this build. It affects EK and SA, adding a 40%++ DPS boost, that is not physical (thus not escalating reflect damage problems). In addition it actually adds more survival than grace. Most mobs are frozen, some are chilled. This causes a lot of damage mitigation (+things die faster and don't get to hit you. Also it makes the granite flask one runs anyway, more useful.

2) With the 6 extra nodes in auras, we can run a second aura. Depending on gear, difficult and situation, it can be Purity, Wraith, Haste or Grace. The problem here is: we reduce our mana available (even with the 6 aura nodes)

3) The solution is running clarity with blood magic. It's 300 reserved HP, but we can get the HP back, by skipping on some regen and mana leech.

4) I agree to the 4L setup. The 5L setup however, I really like adding Arc. The damage of arc is mediocre, since we don't spec into spell damage. However, it works great with the chain gem, it hits BEFORE the EK, applying random shock stacks and increasing our damage output a LOT (and it also looks great). It also doesn't escalate the physical reflect problem. Faster attacks is still a good option, but with the mana leech nerf and the already high clear speed of SA+Hatred+EK+Arc it seems overkill. Besides with all the attack speed nodes we can pick up and the frenzy stacks, I dont find it too important.

5) It seems like the harbinger bow and the thicket bow are the top 2 picks. I wouldn't pick lionsarch personally. You either need attack speed or crit. I think quill rain can work too, but would require more clarity levels.

6) "Skip revenge of the Hunted". For 5 trait points you get 18% max life, 28% evasion and 4% phys damage and 20 dex. For the same 5 trait points you can get 12% attack speed, 30 dex and 40% armor+evasion and extra movement speed from ignoring the armor penalty. We gain more physical damage mitigation, more damage (attack speed->more procs), more dex and the extra movementspeed helps with MF, survival, damage, clear times etc. Alternatively get Heart of the oak.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAdEEfgW1DPIOSA-rEZYV8BmKGf4ajyF2I_Yk_SaVKaUtgy9vMHwx-jKUNj051DpYPs9KfU4qUUdTNVVLVvpaGlpIW69f4WHiYqxnoGqTayRtbG17b_JwUnC7cNV293fXfXV_An8rhs6HGYd2iGuMNo19lQWV6ZcGm42btZ2jnaqgn6EioaSiQKXLpuCn1Kp_qriv67EwtUi2Qbvjvea-p8APwFHEosqp0k3TftUA1e3WndkT2cbcFd0N4dvjhOdU53TuDu967_DwQvPq9Pj22vlj-wn8q_zF_rr-yA==

I'm not sure about the heart of the oak points, but the massive dex, stun protection and prevention, accuracy and attack speed bonuses sound convincing. Alternatively (or if one should reach 90+) investing into the lightning and cold nodes (shadow) should provide a major damage boost.

Atm I'm running level 68-70 maps easily (don't have higher yet), with pretty mediocre gear (random 165 pDPS harbinger, 5link level 53 armor (life, 2x resis, regaled) maligaros, wurms, all other items 1-5c random drop rares).

I'm intrigued about the Hatred aura, I think I will try this tonight see how it goes.
"
Boltonsquad wrote:
"
kompaniet wrote:
"
sylekta wrote:
people with mana problems
you arnt doing enough damage

post your gear, i suspect you have a high attack speed bow but low dps
try going for a lower attacks speed bow so frenzy doesnt murder your mana and you hit harder to get more out of the nerfed mana leech

i have yet to transition to using coc+ek(not enuf crit and still have a thicket), using split+faster attacks+added fire+ppad and doing 4k dps with 7 frenzy charges at lvl74, can sustain my mana no problems

I'm using lioneye. Not gonna change to some other bow. Also i am lvl 81 and i started this build with the free respec at lvl 81.

Have to use a mana flask pretty often. So what to do? How come i am the only one with mana problems? What did i do wrong. Thanks.

Get 4% Mana Leech on your neck such as the one I have here
, also you could use Clarity with determination if you are struggling for mana.

I already have 6% mana leech. 2% from slitherpinch + 2% from ring + 2% from mind drinker passive skill. 500 something mana. I think i have enough leech. I can only leech 12,5% of maximum mana/sec anyway i don't think mana leech is the problem here. Need to increase the mana pool instead right?

Not too impressed so far with this build. Kills much slower than my facebreaker bor duelist.
Only 7000 frenzy dps and 1700 split arrow dps with coc setup. With facebreaker i do 30k dps.

Hope i will see an fps boost somehow someway or this will be a disappointment.
Last edited by kompaniet on Mar 12, 2014, 11:36:37 AM
"
Some brainstorming:

Don't bother, dude. I've been saying the exact same things for like 15 pages now. It's like trying to convince a religious fanatic.

"
Boltonsquad wrote:
I'm intrigued about the Hatred aura, I think I will try this tonight see how it goes.

It's pretty powerful on its own but more significantly noticeable with the reduced mana reserve and +34% effect from passive skill nodes. Then you can comfortably run 2 60% or 3 40% on mana, plus level 8 Clarity for less than 200 life, and another 40% aura on life if needed.

Stats from when I duo with one other person also running auras. Since he has better gear, he usually runs all the damage and I run all the resist auras. We have 13 auras + Arctic Armour between the 2 of us. No other 6 points on the tree is going to double/triple/quadruple your damage and defense like this. (Updated 03/22/14.)

Spoiler

Now that he's only playing in the new league, I have to pick between damage and defense. I usually end up doing Hatred and Wrath. If it's a hard map I'll switch out for Elements and Grace or mash flasks. It takes more paying attention but also adds to your whole party's survivability and clear speed.

"
kompaniet wrote:
I already have 6% mana leech. 2% from slitherpinch + 2% from ring + 2% from mind drinker passive skill. 500 something mana. I think i have enough leech. I can only leech 12,5% of maximum mana/sec anyway i don't think mana leech is the problem here. Need to increase the mana pool instead right?

Not too impressed so far with this build. Kills much slower than my facebreaker bor duelist.
Only 7000 frenzy dps and 1700 split arrow dps with coc setup. With facebreaker i do 30k dps.

Hope i will see an fps boost somehow someway or this will be a disappointment.

It's definitely not your mana leech that's the issue, it's your crit chance.

You're using a 5% bow with no other crit gear. You would probably get more out of playing a "normal" build with standard projectile supports instead of CoC.

Something like Puncture linked with Physical Projectile Attack Damage, Faster/Slower Projectiles, Increased Critical Strikes/Damage, Added Fire Damage, etc.
Last edited by feyith on Mar 23, 2014, 2:16:43 AM
"
feyith wrote:

You're using a 5% bow with no other crit gear. You would probably get more out of playing a "normal" build with standard projectile supports instead of CoC.

Something like Puncture linked with Physical Projectile Attack Damage, Faster/Slower Projectiles, Increased Critical Strikes/Damage, Added Fire Damage, etc.

I think you are right my crit chance may be too low. I will change to a normal build then.
Can you or anyone else tell me the default split arrow/frenzy gem setup so i can use that for the time being? Or if there is another setup that is better?

Isn't puncture a single target attack? Did you mean i replace frenzy with that?

What do you think about this one? You loose a lot of Attackspeed, but the rest could be nice, wouldn´t it?

We would get quite a bit of life reg, as well as the ability to get these charges while using Split Arrow.

Sorry, is my first ranger with frenzy :P

Thanks

-sky

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info