[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

Thank you very much for this build. It is the first one since starting this game that I have not become bored with when I hit the 50's.

I am currently at level 71 and am farming Piety. My plan is to get a large stash of 66 maps and then try some map progression (have 14 would like 24). As this is the first time that I have hit endgame, this seems like a good way to go.

I am currently doing 8K damage with Reave (running hatred) using the following 240 pDPS sword:

I have 4.8K armor (running Determination) and 3.4K life (resists all maxed but chaos -60%).

Now for my questions:

When should I be thinking about changing shields? 'Crest of Perandus' has served me well from the beginning and seems to be working now, but I don't know what to compare it to.

From my stats, I think that I am lacking in life, but I have not been dying. Do I need to build this up before I start my push into maps.

I guess the big question is what do I do now to try and upgrade equipment (can't afford a BoR yet?

Spoiler

Thanks again for the great build
Last edited by Skua99 on Apr 8, 2014, 3:40:49 PM
"
Skua99 wrote:

I am currently at level 71 and am farming Piety. My plan is to get a large stash of 66 maps and then try some map progression (have 14 would like 24). As this is the first time that I have hit endgame, this seems like a good way to go.

I would actually not recommend playing 66 maps too much.
66 is the same as Piety, but she is "for free" (not on a map) and drops better stuff than map bosses.
I farm her, trade her maps into 67 maps and start with those (to get higher maps, you have to play maps).
While in "lower map stage" (<70) you have little to no problem to maintain your map pool if you just roll stuff like "more rare/magic monsters, increased pack size, extra rogues, double bosses", ideally combined with a non-threatening "difficulty" mod (monsters resist fire/lightning, cannot be cursed/stunned, monsters deal extra fire damage or gain useless charges,...).

With your current equip, while being a little low on life, you should be able to play most low maps easily. At least up to 70 maps, depending on map bosses (-60% chaos resist in museum can iE be a little tough).

"

I am currently doing 8K damage with Reave (running hatred) using the following 240 pDPS sword:

Sounds a little low.
To improve in the DpS department, try to get jewelry with physical damage. Like:

These numbers look low, but it really helps, each ring can give you 400+ DpS once all the multipliers are applied.
You can buy rings like this for a couple of chaos or just throw alchemy orbs on lvl60+ rings (when it turns out useless, use for chaos recipe, when it turns out good, wear or sell it).

"

When should I be thinking about changing shields? 'Crest of Perandus' has served me well from the beginning and seems to be working now, but I don't know what to compare it to.

Crest of Perandus will be superior to 99% of shields you will find.
I'd say:
Once you start working on "max resists AND max chaos resist" (entering serious mapping territory), this is when you want another shield with far more resists than this one. Those don't even have to be too expensive, just look for life, extra block, resists. Extra armor would be sexy, but adds to the price more than it is actually worth.

"

From my stats, I think that I am lacking in life, but I have not been dying. Do I need to build this up before I start my push into maps.

Yes and no.
Following this build, you should be at very high block, which is basically "additional life" (with 75% block, 4000 life equals "16000 life and no block" against physical attacks). So I know you'll not die too much.
There is however a lot of stuff that will hurt, most of it being spells from casting map bosses.

"

I guess the big question is what do I do now to try and upgrade equipment (can't afford a BoR yet?

In that order:
1. Get jewelry with physical damage, life, resists.
2. Save up for BoR or a 6Link.
3. Save up for a 300+ DpS sword.
2 and 3 will be very expensive and you may not be able to afford this until you are in ladder, have a shop, sell stuff and ideally find/chance some stuff that sells for real currency (Soultaker, Kaoms, Mon'tre'guls, Mings Heart etc).
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Thanks for the help, buying a little bling took me from 8K up to 9.9K

I am a little confuse by what you mean by trading in 66 maps for 67

"

I farm her, trade her maps into 67 maps and start with those (to get higher maps, you have to play maps).

Thanks again for the guide and help
"
Skua99 wrote:

Vendor 3 of the same-type 66 maps, you'll get a 67 map in return.
"
Skua99 wrote:
Thanks for the help, buying a little bling took me from 8K up to 9.9K

That sounds more adequate for your level.

Unfortunatly only one life roll on this jewelry. But at least the amulet comes with sweet +Int.

"

"

In addition to toyotatundras answer:

Click me
If you scroll down, you see which 3 same maps you have to vendor to get a specific "maplevel+1" map.
Last edited by Peterlerock on Apr 9, 2014, 3:42:04 AM
Look what I just found:

Pretty nice roll!
Selling for 5 ex to any Sword and Board Marauder who is in need... ;)
"
Peterlerock wrote:
Look what I just found:

Pretty nice roll!
Selling for 5 ex to any Sword and Board Marauder who is in need... ;)

Oooo, pick me please!
Thanks for the help I have got so far.

At the moment I am level 75 and have been making it a point not to get crazy buying stuff until I can get my own BoR (long way to go). Nothing special with my gear, but I am killing things and have only died twice (both times with the dual bosses in the level 68 Museum).

Current Equipment

Following the advice given here, my plan was to farm Piaty for level 66 maps, turn them into 67's and then slowly move up the map chain. The good news is that I was able to make a trade for 40 level 68 maps (mixture white, magic and a few rares all for 3 chaos). I am now farming these maps and hope to get enough 69's to move forward.

Now my three questions.

When do I need to start adding chaos resistance?

When should I move up into the level 69 maps?

I know it is a loaded question, but when do higher level uniques (such as a BoR's) start to drop?

Thanks again for everyones help
Last edited by Skua99 on Apr 11, 2014, 11:00:05 PM
"
Skua99 wrote:

When do I need to start adding chaos resistance?

Whenever you want.
The museum boss hat killed you is one of the very few dangerous chaos damage monsters in the game.

"

When should I move up into the level 69 maps?

Whenever you want.
There's not too much of a difference.

"

I know it is a loaded question, but when do higher level uniques (such as a BoR's) start to drop?

Whenever they want. ;)
There's not too much you can do to force a higher level unique to drop.
You have to play high end maps for some uniques, but BoR isnt one of them. Theoretically Piety could drop BoR.
Nice guide, I'm going to start this today. Is there anyway to have blood magic? I've just started playing but already like the look of Blood magic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info