[1.2] Oldschool, cheap and noobfriendly "Sword&Board" Marauder

"
Nintinugga wrote:

i gotta question: is the new Bringer of Rain that good any longer? or should i get a nice 5-6l armor instead?

A real good 6L was better before 1.1 and is of course still better, but you would need to adapt the build to maintain 75% block (above templar you'll find the rest of the needed block).

Imho, the new BoR is only slightly worse than the old one.
You'll have ~200 life less than before, loose a little bit of attackspeed and will blind a little less frequently.
But the main strengths still remain untouched:
15% block, flat physical damage, cheap 6L.

"
Since neither Temporal Chains, Molten Shell, or Enduring Cry scale well with leveling, I think CWDT is best kept at lvl 1, no?

I levelled it up to Lvl5, but that doesnt make that much of a difference, you can leave it at 1 or level it up a bit. Your choice.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
I am using your CWDT setup as described but I have a slow computer so every time my Molten Shell triggers the fire explosion, my machine hiccups for about a second and I think I end up taking more damage from that than I deflect from the armor bonus. Is there another gem you can recommend in its place?

Also I'm having trouble against those arctic breath mobs in the Cruel Docks. I have 1.7k HP (I skipped all the hp nodes early to take dex nodes so i can use a good sword) and max cold resist and about 32% spell block but my health drops like water up against a pack or against a rare mob with bonus damage. I had trouble against them on all my other melee characters as well. Does spell block not work against them? What can I do?
"
Is there another gem you can recommend in its place?

You can try Blood Rage. The chaos damage is neglectible.

"

Also I'm having trouble against those arctic breath mobs in the Cruel Docks. I have 1.7k HP (I skipped all the hp nodes early to take dex nodes so i can use a good sword) and max cold resist and about 32% spell block but my health drops like water up against a pack or against a rare mob with bonus damage.

Voidbearers do fire damage.
I thought like you they use arctic breath, but it is some kind of "incinerate" (fire spell).

With 75% resist against fire, they still hurt, but you should be able to survive long enough to kill them.
Big update for me.

Currently sitting at 67, bought myself a BoR RRGB for 6ex, got a real nice deal there.

Offensively I'm dealing 6149 DPS with Reave, not even using Conc effect yet. Mainly due to lack of gem. I have a level 16(?) gem, but I only have 83 of the 100 needed int. Moved the IIR gem from Leap Slam into Reave till I get enough int/lower leveled Conc.

Defensively...I'm surviving. 2411 life, 3083 armor, 75% block, 51/56/75 resists. That's even before any blind from BoR, or any gems like Molten Shell/Immortal Call/Temporal Chains, and before Endurance Charges. Guildie helped me with my jewellery as my resists were all really low after I equipped BoR.

Next few days I'm gonna try working on upgrading my belt/boots/gloves, try and get some life/resists/life leech (maybe). Currently just have 4% leech, 2 from tree and 2 from belt. Also guess I could upgrade from my 152 DPS sword, there's a 181 DPS sword in guild stash that I could use if I chrome it RRR, not sure if it'd be worth the chromes for 30 DPS though. While it's an extra fifth, I could just spend a couple chaos and get something better potentially.

Here's my current gear/build, fleshing out life nodes now.

Build
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecEsQUtBu4Q8BjbGlUa2xutIWAkmycvNDU26DiWPeI9_ECgSO5MYFPfVvpXDVhjWNtbr18_YEthIWMXZKNuaXKpdO108Xiueu982YCKhNmE74tPjM-QCpB0kc6VZpdwm4OezaC0pKynMKyvr6K3F7fTu-28n76nwA_BB8bYzNvSIdJN037UUtd-18vdDeOf5FHnru4O7w7yL_MG9kj3MvdN9777qvzF
Dude, definetly skill these life nodes asap!
I would even recommend respeccing some of the damage to get at least the 18% and 12% nodes near Ranger...

This sword in Guild Stash would give you ~7000 DpS. If it's for free, hell, use it.
Spend your chaos on life+resist(+int) jewelry! Doesnt have to be super-expensive.

Of course every item should have a 80+ life roll on it. Kinda careless to use no life gear. ;-)
And who takes away life from wurms molt to ge 2% chaos resist? ;)

Last edited by Peterlerock on Mar 21, 2014, 11:44:56 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:

And who takes away life from wurms molt to ge 2% chaos resist? ;)

Vaal does.

Lucked out on Vaaling Perandus though. ^_^

Edit: Just bought this belt for 8c. Downside is I had to remove IIR due to lack of int on belt. Gonna have to look for int+life+cold res for my jewellery. Do you think 2% leech from tree is enough as I just lost 2 from belt.

Last edited by sam6555 on Mar 21, 2014, 12:09:00 PM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
You can try Blood Rage. The chaos damage is neglectible.

Wow, thanks for the advice I never thought of that! Lvl 5 blood rage only loses 2% life leech and 4.5s duration. Since this build is designed to avoid the "low life" state, the attack speed bonus doesn't matter and the duration doesn't matter since it will be autocast every time I'm damaged. But I think losing 2% life leech is worth it for the autocast since as it is now I always forget to cast it.

"
Voidbearers do fire damage.
I thought like you they use arctic breath, but it is some kind of "incinerate" (fire spell).

With 75% resist against fire, they still hurt, but you should be able to survive long enough to kill them.

Wow, thanks again! I would've never guessed. I had 75% cold and only 42% fire and I was baffled why I was dying. Now I know!
"
sam6555 wrote:
Do you think 2% leech from tree is enough as I just lost 2 from belt.

Wrote it several times in this thread, it may seem unbelievable for players... ;)
For me the 2% are enough, at least to progress through storyline and early maps.
Later on, you'll probably want a bit more. Getting another 2-4% on gloves or jewelry is nice. No real need for LL gem or Carnage Heart.

@cas5nq
You are confusing me again... ;)

Lvl 5 blood rage:
*you gain 4% life leech
*you gain frenzy charges on kill (which you only have 3 unless you take additional charges)
*you lose 4% life per second as chaos damage (maybe a bit more due to negative chaos resists)
*duration is 8.7 seconds

The 4% leech should more than overcome the 4% life loss, and the frenzy stuff gives you a little DpS boost.
I'm not 100% sure if this is worth it, but if you have the slot in your CWDT gem available, go ahead and try.
yo, little update from my mara in ambush

can use my new boots, still need 2 gems for leapslamming

got a new sword :D

so my old one is for sale
Last edited by MrZimz on Mar 22, 2014, 8:37:29 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
sam6555 wrote:
Do you think 2% leech from tree is enough as I just lost 2 from belt.

Wrote it several times in this thread, it may seem unbelievable for players... ;)
For me the 2% are enough, at least to progress through storyline and early maps.
Later on, you'll probably want a bit more. Getting another 2-4% on gloves or jewelry is nice. No real need for LL gem or Carnage Heart.

@cas5nq
You are confusing me again... ;)

Lvl 5 blood rage:
*you gain 4% life leech
*you gain frenzy charges on kill (which you only have 3 unless you take additional charges)
*you lose 4% life per second as chaos damage (maybe a bit more due to negative chaos resists)
*duration is 8.7 seconds

The 4% leech should more than overcome the 4% life loss, and the frenzy stuff gives you a little DpS boost.
I'm not 100% sure if this is worth it, but if you have the slot in your CWDT gem available, go ahead and try.
To add to this since I'm avid blood rage fan:
Blood Rage is one of the best quality/price gems out there. Every 5 pts is 1% leech.. you can get a 10% right now for 1c.

You will want some chaos res and life regen (3%+ from passives, which is easily accomplished either at Duelist or Templar areas), otherwise blood rage becomes a slight pain when you're traveling between fights.
Last edited by j0zef on Mar 22, 2014, 9:13:22 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info