Dying Breath 1.0.6 Unique

"
Lezli wrote:
@PoOrlandu
It's definitely a softcore item (as is ANYTHING that decreases survivability), but I disagree with the "one shotted" part of your comment. I don't even understand it actually. I've never been "one-shotted" on a summoner, or even close. I've only ever gotten a summoner to level 80 though, and done up to level 70 content, so you might be referring to content out of my experience with a summoner.

you answered your own question,

get yourself to level 90+, wear this item and get desync one shotted by 78 map dominous a couple of times, then tell me whether this is a "softcore item" or not.

"
Lezli wrote:
Hmmm, well I feel that everyone in your party dealing 5% more damage or taking 5% less damage from a unique mob isn't "no difference at all", but I do think the value's should definitely be higher. ^^

curses being 5% less nerfed does not mean 5% more damage
IGN: poor_newb
Last edited by poOrlandu on Jan 28, 2014, 8:04:34 PM
As far as I was concerned, Palace Dominus 1-shots people all the time with his touch of god thing. Not sure how that relates to the staff. You'll get... more 1-shotted?
@iamstryker
I specifically wanted a staff. ^^

@Sachiru
That's a really good suggestion! Block is a powerful defensive mechanic and one of the reasons shields are so powerful. There aren't any other staffs so far that have additional block chance, and the key point making most people see this item as underwhelming is the loss of shield coupled with the big boost to damage taken. By the same token though, since the values currently sit at 18 (and would hopefully end up being 24), that's a rather big block chance for no other investment, and doesn't really fit with the theme of the item. I'm definitely going to keep it in the front of my head though! ^^

@Kenzorz
Nothing that effects auras YOU cast will effect the auras of the staff, since you're not casting them.

@tackle70
"More" modifiers on unique items is something GGG wants to avoid, so it's not going to happen unless it can be strongly justified.

@poOrlandu
It's not meant to be used by a level 90 character in a 70+ map. It's meant to be usable from 18 up to 68 MAX.
"
poOrlandu wrote:
curses being 5% less nerfed does not mean 5% more damage

No, it doesn't directly mean that, but it is a reasonable estimation, assuming two curses and both gaining +7% of the original unmodified value of effectiveness on map bosses.

@Stealthbug
Dieing harder hurts more, right? XD
In-Game-Name: Lezli
Last edited by Lezli on Jan 29, 2014, 2:50:00 AM
needs le hoop, cloak of defiance, the anvil, and bringer of rain.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
someone poked me so i want to vomit numbers. i do not mean anything by this but its a fun reference. i will use solo vs party of 6 (all with staff) further vs the 18% and 24% versions. -why can't you people just use something like 20%? ocd cries- i will add quality curse on hit because why not. lastly curse resistances (going to use 70%, 50%, and 30% even if not actuals), using a "less" method because i didn't read enough and its the most likely version. besides, a reduced would simply subtract whatever increases used anyways.

18 * 6 = 108 + 10 = 118%
24 * 6 = 144 + 10 = 154%

chart~_ 70% _ 50% _ 30%
18% _ 0.354 _ 0.59 _ 0.826 _ solo hard cast version 1
28% _ 0.384 _ 0.64 _ 0.896 _ solo curse on hit v1
24% _ 0.372 _ 0.62 _ 0.868 _ solo hard cast version 2
34% _ 0.402 _ 0.67 _ 0.938 _ solo curse on hit v2
108%_ 0.624 _ 1.04 _ 1.456 _ max party hard cast v1
118%_ 0.654 _ 1.09 _ 1.526 _ max party on hit v1
144%_ 0.732 _ 1.22 _ 1.708 _ max party hard cast v2
154%_ 0.762 _ 1.27 _ 1.778 _ max party on hit v2

already converted to multipliers
i thought that ggg clarified that aura from this item is non-stackable
too many threads to find that answer, but nice to know.
"
Lezli wrote:

@Zaanus
Where did you get the idea that the range of the aura was so small? ^^
Well, you can still spam arc/whatever as you level. The 70% increased damage is only a 34% difference assuming your girlfriend does as much damage as you, and the difference becomes even smaller if you have more people, she does more damage, or either of you have any kind of minion. Then it comes down to whether you need the extra resists/life/block chance a shield gives you, or you're fine taking 18% more damage for a much bigger mana pool and a little boost to your curses.
Like I've already said, I'd be much happier if the value's were higher. I thought I had asked for a specific number, but I actually asked for a "max possible value" and 18 was the answer. XD

Sorry for the slow response. I'm going to assume the aura size on it the same as normal auras in absence of other evidence.

Have you ever tried to keep a group all together to share auras early on with non-q gems? It end sup not being worth the trouble, especially when it matters most (boss fights).

You seem to value 18% increased damage as if it was actually 18% more... but it's not. If my party member casts fireball as a lowbie for say 20 avg on the gem but 50 avg tooltip. Then being in range of the aura is worth like 3.5 pts of dmg. So 53.5 is less than a 8% dmg increase for her. And it's actually better for spells, melee attacks get a lot of dmg nodes that 15%+ so it is relatively weaker for them.

Meanwhile I'm running around with awful resists, 18% more dmg taken, crap block, and doing 0 damage myself.

If the real bonus of the item is supposed to be the increased damage, then it will probably give less than 5% per party member long before lvl 60. Assuming they were full time in range even.

Edit: Even if the rebalance it to 24%, it does not need a downside at all. Taking up two slots and gimping your own damage, is a LOT of downside.
Last edited by Zaanus on Feb 1, 2014, 9:42:05 PM
the damage taken on it sounds like wayyyyy too much for a 2hand staff. In order for this staff to be used as all it would need higher block chance and probably a remake of the "aura" mechanic for curses as well as getting rid of the damage taken. If it is to be used at all as it is then it should be made a scepter and not a 2hander.

I am very sad to see this staff having such a big negative for a relatively small positive, I doubt it will ever be used as is and saying this my favourite weapons are staves. I hope that you re-think it having any negative.

As a leveling item this should see as much use as Death's Harp ; it will be used until act 2 cruel unless you find a better shield + onehand combo, which is very likely. Leveling as a summoner necro aegis would be much more effective, as a caster actual damaging items would be much more effective, as a support leveling with a friend the 18% is not worth it however with a FULL party it would be, the situation in which it would be used would be like once in a million years though unless people actually build their party around it which I highly doubt will ever happen is that is not needed and not efficient if you ever plan on soloing.

So unless someone actually makes it work in some way, sadly this will end up gathering dust in the same 2 tabs as my other 1 chaos uniques that nobody is interested in buying.
Last edited by NeoRussia on Feb 2, 2014, 7:38:54 AM
Put this item on your Guardian and boom, 2 more auras for you and your party, without you suffering any slots on yourself.

Small minded folks yee be.
If you stand next to a double boss Corpse-Explosion, you're gonna have a bad time. RIPKRIPP

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info