Mace/Shield LS Templar with Video and writeup(Written for New Players)

"
CNKalmah wrote:

Energy shield - when up (even with 1 point), will give you a 50% chance to not be stunned.
Armor is noneffective against big hits and will therefore not mitigate enough damage all the time to be below the stun bar (Damage being 10% or 15% of your life IIRC). Therefore since both builds have not taken Unwavering stance (Stun Immunity) nor is Eye of Chayula mentioned (Stun Immunity amulet) it's very important to keep SOME energy shield present when swarmed/in battle/ fighting a boss.

For example, when brutus does his groundslam it stuns most characters and does significant damage dropping the average ES to 0 and digging into the life pool. With Zealot's oath regen is constant (so we don't have to run and recharge) so the next hit will be subject to 50% stun immunity if it lands.

(Hope you understand.)

With the above build I have posted you should ~ 4k life by level 70 or so.
ES and Armor/EVA are secondary defenses, Life is your primary when not using Chaos Innoculation.

Also to be honest, THG's build is actually called "The Lightning Templar" from closed beta. It's a very bad non-adaptive take to Open Beta. Too many balance changes to use the same build.

I understand and agree with your points, and onestly I like your build more then the open poster's one (ZO addiction? Yes please). Maybe you should open a topic too to make it more visible and keep this one "cleaner" for non-ZO fans (: Would be so useful. Anyway, is that an HC build? Seems like you dislike every damage nodes. I'll maybe respec some point to follow yours but I'm probably adding some more dmg to it.

Also: what about some stat nodes? Isn't it a bit lacking of stats to meet the requirements for gems and such (like Fork/Chain)?
Last edited by ale_santo on Feb 1, 2013, 5:53:02 AM
"
ale_santo wrote:
Is there any room for Molten Shield in this build? I'm following the one in the open post, but I keep struggling for mana (I'm level 23). I can't have Molten Shield + Tempest Shield on and use LS (btw, I even use Leap to close gaps and to escape, is Decoy Totem more effective?), I don't even run Wrath and I'm mana starving. Tips? Drop Molten Shield from the hotkeys and use the others?

I use.

Double Strike - M. M.Button
Ground Slam -> R. M.Button
Raise Zombies -> Q
LS -> W
Wrath -> E
Decoy Totem -> R
TS -> T
"
Optimoos wrote:
The question is, are Glacial Hammer or Infernal Blow worth it?

I want to believe that a 4 linked red item with all of those supported by 1 +Elemental Weapon Damage node would be worth it, as you could rely on just one curse at the point (Elemental Vulnerability) to reduce anything to a quivering mess of goo from whatever they already weren't resistant to. Especially Lightning Resist mobs who were already taking the least damage from the original build since Lightning Strike is only 100% of dps, then resisted, vs. GH and IB being base 125% dps mod and not resisted.

It just seems like more fun to me trying to match my attacks with what the enemy is not strong against since it seems like nearly every enemy has at least one elemental resist :)
Man, this is getting confusing...so many different builds and opinions :/

+rep to you guys for the effort, though
Last edited by Koksii on Feb 1, 2013, 10:02:43 AM
Experiences from a lvl 60 templar played with a similar spec:

If you have mana issues, get a clarity gem and use that aura! It's amazing. If you are low on mana, level it until you can spam lightning strike non-stop. Then stop leveling it. This way, you can maintain Tempest Shield and still use curses (as coductivity) and totems (as rejuvenation totem) and use Glacial Hammer + LS. Works for me.

My goal is to try to squeeze one more aura in. I'd love to have purity as well, but don't know if it is possible since i've chosen primarily physical and life nods - and not very much mana fixers.

Best tip I can give you is actually to think about when to stop leveling mana intensive auras and abilities. Atleast for a while until you've ensured a better mana base.

// Nyxium

Spells used: Glacial Hammer, Lightning Strike, Clarity, Tempest Shield, Rejuvenation Totem, Decoy Totem, Conductivity.
So far I'm surviving in hardcore, I might need some tips on my item choices though. So far this is what's keeping me alive:
From where do i get clarity and tempest shield?
"
Koksii wrote:
From where do i get clarity and tempest shield?

I just traded them. Pretty easiliy obtainable.
"
CNKalmah wrote:
Energy shield - when up (even with 1 point), will give you a 50% chance to not be stunned.
Armor is noneffective against big hits and will therefore not mitigate enough damage all the time to be below the stun bar (Damage being 10% or 15% of your life IIRC). Therefore since both builds have not taken Unwavering stance (Stun Immunity) nor is Eye of Chayula mentioned (Stun Immunity amulet) it's very important to keep SOME energy shield present when swarmed/in battle/ fighting a boss.

"
CNKalmah wrote:
With the above build I have posted you should ~ 4k life by level 70 or so.
ES and Armor/EVA are secondary defenses, Life is your primary when not using Chaos Innoculation.

Does armor damage reduction occur before damage is applied to the energy shield or after? I'm wondering whether it would be better to stack strictly +ES equipment if armor doesn't reduce damage to the shield, or conversely if it's important to make sure you're wearing armor and ES gear to make the ES the most effective.

Also, I noticed you didn't take three "+30% ES from equipped shield" nodes that are readily available. The language is almost clear, but could be interpreted different ways, so is this only a buff to ES values on the shield itself, or total ES? If it's total ES, seems like it'd be an easy call to take them, but I'm guessing that's not how it works.
Last edited by Optimoos on Feb 1, 2013, 12:13:42 PM
"
Cyrisus wrote:
So far I'm surviving in hardcore, I might need some tips on my item choices though.

Nice gear! I love your skill picks :) I think I might trade out Ground Slam for Leap Slam though if I could. Need a way to move out of danger quickly. Not sure I'd keep Heavy Strike either since depending on your nodes you might have +91% elemental damage fairly early in your build even without a Scepter. Just pick up Elemental Vulnerability curse and you're good to go. I imagine even monsters that "resist all" don't resist enough to take more damage from Heavy Strike than Infernal Blow / Glacial Hammer when cursed, since they still do 50% physical damage anyway.

The only way I could see your gear being better is if you could get 4 linked red slots on one item for that Weapon Elemental Damage gem, then put all 3 of your elemental melee attacks with it. You might want to consider replacing that added fire damage gem with Lightning Strike or Glacial Hammer unless you've got a bunch of +fire damage talents specifically.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info