We welcome First Impression posts! Please be nice to those posts.

GGG cannot please everyone.

Having the whispering system as easy as it is is one of the perk of the simple naming system in place at the moment.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
Having the whispering system as easy as it is is one of the perk of the simple naming system in place at the moment.

How often do you type a name manually? Can't even remember when was the last time I did it, if I had to choose between the two I know what I'd pick.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Sometimes I do.
Its especially useful if you need to relog, or if you crash, or sometimes it's just faster.

"
raics wrote:
If you want to keep your tidbit of immersion you should never try to mouseover anyone in town, ever.

Do you honestly think that allowing people to pick whatever name they wanted would change that ??
I don't think that you do.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
Do you honestly think that allowing people to pick whatever name they wanted would change that ??

It was more of a joke, but a true one, the best kind. I sometimes do get a kick out of looking at all the "wrotnssejnrsnejn" chars roaming the town, hmm, that might be a legit Finnish word.

So, you wouldn't have anything against it if they could keep the whisper system intact? I don't have the impression it's something as hardlocked by the engine as the clunky attack-move system.

Last edited by raics on Aug 6, 2017, 1:43:56 PM
How do you keep the whispering system as simple as it is if names are not always unique anymore ?
Last edited by Fruz on Aug 6, 2017, 1:47:45 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
How do you keep the whispering system as simple as it is if names are not always unique anymore ?

Maybe it can offer you a list of full names when you type a character name. If that's too complicated we can always use our account names, there's no dirt on mine.

"
raics wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:

Maybe it can offer you a list of full names when you type a character name. If that's too complicated we can always use our account names, there's no dirt on mine.

We're getting a bit away from simplicity already, of course.
If I crash and look into my logs, then want to whisper someone .... I don't necessarily have the account name of the player.
It's a rare case, granted ... however it's still a thing.

It's simple, it makes the whispering system as simple as it can be, and it has basically no impact past the character creation since you don't even see your name outside of the chat.
It would also need some database operations to be changed .... basically no point imho, really not worth it.
So it's sad if one or two players get discouraged by this once in a while .... but there are sooo many thing that would likely discourage those players soon after anyway, imho ... it's a non issue to me.
Last edited by Fruz on Aug 6, 2017, 2:20:18 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
raics wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:

We're getting a bit away from simplicity already, of course.
If I crash and look into my logs, then want to whisper someone .... I don't necessarily have the account name of the player.
It's a rare case, granted ... however it's still a thing.

I don't think it would be a problem for the log to show the full name, we can show timestamps in chat and they don't show in log. Chat also shows clan name just fine and it isn't a part of character name, can't think of a reason it wouldn't be able to also hide whatever they want.

So yeah, I'm fairly sure they could think of something if it becomes a bigger issue.

Last edited by raics on Aug 6, 2017, 3:12:16 PM
"
raics wrote:
I assume the database would have to be restructured if they change the naming system, which could be a lot of work and require a longish downtime. Still, it's a valid complaint, naming freedom is something players have come to expect and ending up with a name like "Ohforf's_sake_is_this_taken_too" is one of those things that spoil the first impression.

And if the game ends up with 10k chars named Drizzt it's still better than 10k Dr_izzts, Draaazts, Durrz_ts and the like. If you want to keep your tidbit of immersion you should never try to mouseover anyone in town, ever.

Also, I'd be hell of a lot more receptive to "it's too much work" that "we want it that way" because for the life of me I can't figure out what kind of purpose it might be serving.

I agree. I trust that GGG will make such a change or not as they juggle what features to implement based on their perceived values versus resource costs and available resources.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Thought their might be some worth while replies.. nope just people talking about names. Because that's the big issue.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info