Hit detection and hit boxes seriously needs some work. Videos and Images included!

"
Septile wrote:
I looked at the video and don't see a problem. You seem to not be accounting for the fact that your mouse is pointing at the ground and the projectile is flying above it, so it looks inaccurate but I guarantee that if there was an enemy standing on the ground that your cursor was pointed at it would hit. In addition to that when you claim to "miss" an enemy, your cursor is not on them at all, it's either to the side of them or above/below them.

The point he is trying to get at is that MOST if not ALL ARPGS fire the projectile directly where your pointer is. PoE instead has it fire in a more realistic way factoring in player model height. You need to aim roughly the height of your character below them for the arrow to go where you want it. Some would call this a bug and some would call it working as intended. Its just different from how its usually done and will take getting used to.

EDIT: From what i can tell the game simply turns the player model in the exact direction of the cursor and fires it realistically where the arrow would go. Which would be a few feet up.
Last edited by yig1015 on Jan 24, 2013, 3:13:21 PM
I haven't even played the game but I see what your issue is. The cursor is aligned to your feet, not your arms/attacking.

You'll notice when you shoot straight up or straight down the arrow passes directly along the aligned path denoted by your cursor. You can also notice this when you are attacking at angles, the arrows pass closer to the cursor trajectory.

I can see how this would bother you and make you think there is an issue, looks like unless you are directly on the mob and it has the red outline the cursor is actually denoting where your feet would travel if you were to walk there, not where your attack would go were you to hold shift.
Simply a problem of force of habit.
The cursor is considered to be at ground level while the projectile is not. When you shot the projectile straight towards the top and bottom of the screen notice how it's perfectly aligned with the cursor. Also notice that the projectile is always higher than your cursor if you shot either left or right (not higher on left, lower on right, or vise versa) which means it is aligned correctly. The game has an isometric view, not a top to bottom view.

With free aim (space) you need to aim at the feet. If you directly aim on the target (when it's outlined in red) then I believe the game automatically compensates for you.
Last edited by Atraps003 on Jan 24, 2013, 3:26:48 PM
"
Atraps003 wrote:
The cursor is considered to be at ground level while the projectile is not. When you shot the projectile straight towards the top and bottom of the screen notice how it's perfectly aligned with the cursor. Also notice that the projectile is always higher than your cursor if you shot either left or right (not higher on left, lower on right, or vise versa) which means it is aligned correctly. The game has an isometric view, not a top to bottom view.

With free aim (space) you need to aim at the feet. If you directly aim on the target (when it's outlined in red) then I believe the game automatically compensates for you.

This, pretty much what i was trying to say yet somehow kept drawing a blank how to explain. lol
LOL dude, you can't aim. Ur cursor is totally off the mark in that video. Could you at least TRY to put the cursor on top of the enemy. LOL, I mean it just irritates me that you would go through so much trouble to catelog this "issue" and blame it on the devs when you should have put some of that energy into improving your aim first?
"
BearCares wrote:
LOL dude, you can't aim. Ur cursor is totally off the mark in that video.
Not really. When he's shooting projectiles in the air at nothing you can clearly see it's not aligned with the cursor in some directions. This is not a bug however. It's like that for a reason.
"
Atraps003 wrote:
"
BearCares wrote:
LOL dude, you can't aim. Ur cursor is totally off the mark in that video.
Not really. When he's shooting projectiles in the air at nothing you can clearly see it's not aligned with the cursor in some directions. This is not a bug however. It's like that for a reason.

Exactly, and I made a screenshot to show what is the correct way:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23809975/Badarrow.jpg

Sorry for the big image, you can also see this video here:

http://youtu.be/D-UvQJYnVFA

Last edited by m3lt on Jan 24, 2013, 3:51:08 PM
I've noticed a lot of the time my first cast fires off in sort of a random direction too. I'm not sure what it is all about but it doesn't happen every time or anything and the 2nd+ casts usually stick to the target. Was kind of a pain when I was kiting Brutus but for normal play it doesn't bother me much.
And here is what it should have happened:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23809975/Badarrow3.jpg

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info