[1.0.3]Budget Cast on Crit Discharge - The Vortex of Doom!

"
Quackdolf wrote:
Since OP doesn't seem to post anymore, what do the "experts" think about that build? Is it viable for beginners like me? Are there better or easier to play Discharge builds out there? That would be my 2nd char, my Summoner is sooo boring, I want to fight by myself :D

well, it is a good build for beginners, but you still need at least a 4 linked volls and quite a lot of points
you will need lvl 60 at least to be a little effective (my experience).

@Nanoprobe

same here
i will try vaal pact the next lvl and see if that changes something

i am lvl 75 now really rocking
Hey guys! Thank you all for the interest in the build. I'm sorry I haven't updated it recently; my mind's not really been in the game recently what with the holidays and all and some other IRL issues. As soon as I get some more time I will post a few more details about the build, but in the mean time I edited the OP with my current gear. Also tl;dr about reflect packs: that's why we get Vaal Pact! Also I think I might endorse the Phase Acrobatics variant, but I haven't tested it myself. More on this when I get some time.

Take it easy and keep critting!
I'm currently level lvl 58 and fairing pretty well. I'm going the acrobatics route; I just picked it up at 57, and I'm pretty durable. As long as I'm in the fray cycloning w/ life gain on hit, I'm fine. I'm also using a stone of lazhwar (sp?), which is giving me 35% spell block. That seems to help against casters, as they're really the only thing that damage me.

For ele reflect packs, I've been using a second cast on crit gem linked with spectral + lmp + and ethereal knives, as it deals phys dmg. I also find that casting this periodically helps kep up my power charges.

I blew almost all of my meager currency trying to roll my Voll's into a 4L green/green/red/blue, so I'm even poorer than I was when I rolled the character. I'm using 4L on my helm that allows for cyclone/cast on crit/discharge/life gain, but I feel that I'm missing vital stats on my helm because the sockets are forcing me to keep using it. As a previous poster said, that 4l ggrb Voll's is absolutely necessary IMO, and I'm struggling like hell to roll mine. Searching POE.xyz, I can't find anyone willing to sell one 5L for less than 4ex, which I just don't have and can no longer get due to blown currency attempting to roll my own.

Overall, I have more fun with this build than with any of my other characters, which I've failed to level past 47ish due to boredom. My passion for this build will hopefully let me overcome my serious destitution at the moment, as I'd love to see this build realize its full potential.

One question I'd like to pose to everyone: what's your crit chance looking like with your power charges? With 4, I'm at 48% chance to crit, and it still seems like I have dry spells where I just DON'T crit for seconds at a time. Critical weakness helps in these situations, but I'm just curious.

Thanks everyone for their input and to the OP for the build! Keep chugging along, vortex-of-doomers.

And to the OP, sorry for your troubles! Hope your holidays shape up and things start to look up for you! Visualize that poster of the cat hanging from the clothesline and hang in there.
Last edited by rsterner on Jan 4, 2014, 3:25:46 PM
I'm at level 65 now. Still have ten passive points remaining. Not sure if I want to go Acro or MOM. Without either, I'm able to farm docks in 4-5 min basically one-shotting everything. Lunaris takes just a little longer and Piety is a bit of a pain, but still dies in under 5 min.

This is such a great build. Only weakness so far is spell damage (only have 32% block), but once I maxed out resists, survivability wasn't an issue. Phase acro will probably help out in this area, but it costs ten points to get there.
Just saw the thread about one week race's ColbyCheeZe running dual strike+evasion tank (here) and now I definitely want to try this build out. Apparently Evasion isn't strictly RNG based. He uses a unique chest to turn some phys damage into Lightning which he can resist at 78%. I'm thinking MoM can be employed to get a similar effect. And the added block with those dual daggers is excellent.

Currently trying to develop a Acrobatics tree with EB+MoM. The points to get EB+MoM with sufficient life and crit nodes are very tight. We'll see...
i am lvl 83 now and have acrobatics+spell dogde
40%dodge and 30%spell are really fucking great
with some evasion on gear and grace aura i take only a few hits even in large packs
it is a really good combo

got 3,8k hp and i am pretty much invincible while i am "cycloning"
only bosses and chaos dmg can put me in danger

@rsterner

i got my 5 link and 6s volls for 2ex
your char really needs more crit, 48% WITH charges is not enough imo
i have 72,9 without any charges and 95% with 5 power charges (i am not playing with ungils anymore btw)

Noob question.
Does Cyclone + CoC + Discharge gems have to be socketed into Voll's Protector for getting Power Charges on cyclone crits?
For example if I had Volls Protector equipped BUT Cyclone + CoC + Discharge + Life Leech gems would be placed into other 4L pice of gear(helmet/boots/gloves) would I still get charges for critting with cyclone?

Or does "Gain a Power Charge for each Enemy you hit with a Critical Strike" only works when you crit with attack that is socketed into Volls Protector.

Asking cos I wont be able to get a 4+L VOlls protector for now, only one I can afford is 3L. So is there a way to make it work with 3L(till I will be able to afford 4-5 link one)?

EDIT: Ok I tried it myself and cyclone + CoC + Discharge dont have to be soceted into Volls Protector for getting charges on crit.
Last edited by nefczi on Jan 17, 2014, 4:49:05 PM
How much mana regen do you need to sustain that Cyclone+CoC+Discharge+LL? ;)
I tried it just for lols at level 35 and lol it was. It raped my whole mana in like 2 seconds :D You definatelly cannot use it at such low level heh.
Mana is an issue. I have to hit the mana flask often, even at level 70.
This is my tree

But, it is a fun build. I changed from one-handed ST at about level 60. It is hard to do Voll's CoC Discharge before that, I think.

Current setup.
Spoiler

Current Stats
Spoiler

HP: 3162
Mana: 1042 (725 reserved by clarity and grace)
Armour: 13%
Evade: 37%
Block: 71%
Spell Block: 17%
Resists: 75,75,69,-60
Mana regen: 88

Crit Stats (before charges):
Cyclone Chance: 45%
Discharge Chance: 48%
Discharge Multipler: 489%

Last edited by Culblade3 on Jan 17, 2014, 10:21:48 PM
"
Culblade3 wrote:
Mana is an issue. I have to hit the mana flask often, even at level 70.
This is my tree

But, it is a fun build. I changed from one-handed ST at about level 60. It is hard to do Voll's CoC Discharge before that, I think.

Current setup.
Spoiler

Current Stats
Spoiler

HP: 3162
Mana: 1042 (725 reserved by clarity and grace)
Armour: 13%
Evade: 37%
Block: 71%
Spell Block: 17%
Resists: 75,75,69,-60
Mana regen: 88

Crit Stats (before charges):
Cyclone Chance: 45%
Discharge Chance: 48%
Discharge Multipler: 489%

Is it worth getting Eldrich Battery along with Acrobatics since Acrobatics cuts half of energy shield?

Im also thinking about Soul Syphon cluster, thats 25 mana leeched per kill. Maybe it could help a bit with mana problems?
Last edited by nefczi on Jan 18, 2014, 8:33:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info