[1.0.3]Budget Cast on Crit Discharge - The Vortex of Doom!

Greetings all! When 1.0 was released I decided to come back to Path of Exile. Mostly because I was able to recruit a ton of my friends to play with me, but also partially because I wanted to take a shot at building a build from scratch that would be fun, interesting, and unique. Since I've built this there have been tons of Cast on Crit builds released but I feel like mine has a few unique selling points that make it stand out and make it worth looking in to.

Build Summary

I'm not normally a fan of the whole pro/con dichotomy but let's take a look at some of the defining features, good or bad, of the build.

The build has amazing clear speed for normal mob packs. The damage in the build scales exponentially based on number of mobs you're attacking, due to getting more crits and casting more discharges, each of which has more charges available. Unfortunately, this makes some single target fights a lot harder. Single target DPS suffers a bit in this build against high HP unique bosses.

With a near maxed block rate, full resists to all three elements and chaos, and a decent mana pool with Mind over Matter, the build is incredibly tanky in almost every situation. We take Vaal Pact to up our survivability considerably, at a cost of lack of HP flasks and regen. These drawbacks are significant but not insurmountable.

The biggest draw I have to the build and the primary reason I built it is that it's cheap. I'll go more into this in the gearing section of this guide but you can get a full set of map-viable gear for this style of character with at most 2-3 exalts of investment. That being set, the build does have the option to scale quite well with better gear - but mediocre gear will still allow you to use the build and enjoy it.

Build Theory

The core of the build revolves around Cyclone, Cast on Critical Strike, and Discharge. The build could work for other spells or attacks, but those are outside of the focus on this build. I'll go over the specific gemming strategy later, but for now just understand that the main attack uses those three gems in tandem.

Levelling Builds

19 points
19 Points
I highly recommend levelling with Spectral Throw, Lesser Multiple Projectiles, and Life Gain on Hit. A simple three link will carry you all the way to level 60 or so quite easily with no damage passives. Grab some cheap, good levelling uniques like Geofri's Baptism, Rigvald's Charge and so on and enjoy.

40 points
40 Points
Nothing much to say here. Levelling with spectral throw really doesn't require any passives, so we flesh out the tanky elements of our build first.

59 points

81 points
81 Points
At this point, changing over to our main damage setup of Cyclone, Cast on Crit, and Discharge should be your goal.

Endgame builds

102 points
Updated: Here's I think a good goal to shoot for in terms of endgame with the 1.1 patch. I've dropped Mind over Matter to simplify the build, and picked up Iron Reflexes to smooth out incoming damage. A surgeon's jade and granite flask will keep your armor very respectable. Mind over Matter also has some negative synergy with reflect damage, draining your mana and making it harder to sustain a constant cyclone. With the changes to Vaal Pact allowing for life flasks, there's no reason not to run Blood Rage with the build, increasing your AoE DPS. I'd still recommend getting as much Chaos resist as you can to add to your tankyness and help compensate for the Blood Rage degen.

Before I forget, for bandits:

Normal - Help Oak +40 life
Cruel - Kill all Passive point
Merciless - Help Alira Power Charge

And just for fun, here's a potential dream 118 point build.

Dream Build

Gear

As stated above, one of the primary goals of this character was to make a character that could be build on a budget, but still be strong. Not only that, but I was hoping to leave the build open to scale reasonably well with more expensive gear. Let's go over some of the gearing options we have.

Main Equipment Strategy

This build requires three uniques, all of which are dirt cheap.

Ungil's Gauches are perfect for this build. The 20% block chance per combined with our passive tree allows us to cap block very easily. They attack quickly and have a decent enough base crit chance (in addition to granting global crit chance) to set off sufficient discharges. I really believe two of these are ideal all of the way through to endgame, unless you get some really insanely good rares. Even then, I think I'd only swap one out and leave the other so I'd still have a block rate around 55%.

Voll's Protector is also arguably perfect for this build. It's cheap, and allows us essentially a 7-link since we won't need a Power Charge on Critical gem for the build. Again, with an extremely good 6 link rare it would likely be better, but Voll's will carry you through into maps without a problem.

And that's really it for mandatory gearing! This leaves both rings, the amulet, belt, gloves, boots, and helmet available to do with them whatever you wish. I'd recommend maxing out Chaos resist. You have plenty of room on your gear to do so, and it not only makes you more tanky but allows you to run Blood Rage quite easily. Blood Rage's frenzy charges amplify your killing speed when it comes to groups by making every kill make the next kill do more damage, feeding in to itself.

Accuracy is another thing to consider. I have only about a 75% accuracy rate with my current gear set up, but I don't notice it too much. If you can gear even just for a few hundred Accuracy, it would be worth it. 1000 would even be better if possible, but accuracy hits some pretty severe diminishing returns quickly so I wouldn't push much further than that.

Because we have capped block and Mind over Matter, I find that investing heavily in excess armor or evasion isn't all that necessary. We do have Eldritch Battery; getting some Energy Shield on our gear is certainly useful. I wouldn't worry too much about overly investing in the innate defenses of your gear. Some ES is good, and going for hybrid items is good as well to make sockets easier, but otherwise don't sweat the innate Armor, ES, or Evasion of your gear too much. You need HP and resists, in addition to crit and accuracy wherever you can get it.

Flasks

With a high attack speed and decent crit chance we crit quite often. There's no reason not to load up on as many Surgeon's flasks as we can.

A good solid Granite of Iron Skin and Hallowed Mana Flask of Warding provide the baseline of your Flask lineup. The Granite provides you with a good boost to physical mitigation naturally, and the mana flask will provide you with some ridiculous regen and curse immunity.

These are some fun little curiosities. I swap them out as needed and I can tell you that they're very useful. Both bleeds and shock stacks are very lethal to this build (and most builds in general really) and by putting these on Small Life Flasks, we reduce the amount of charges needed to 7 per use. You can easily refill these with just a few crits!

Depending on your take on the build, other flasks can be substituted as needed. Diamond Flasks are nice for emergencies where you really need some life leech or just an extra boost of damage. Jade Flasks work quite well alongside Granite Flasks if you decide to go for Iron Reflexes (or even if you don't!) And lastly if a map has a preponderance of a certain element that bothers you, Surgeon's Elemental Flasks can provide an extra boost of damage mitigation.

Gear Options

A number of uniques are available that could benefit the build but I wouldn't consider them necessary. Rainbowstride and Stone of Lazhwar have great synergy with each other and the build itself and are worth looking in to for potential gear expansion options.

Maligaro's Virtuosity is a great source of crit but lacks synergy with the build in other ways. If you can manage to fit it in, go for it.

As mentioned earlier, upgrading away from the Gauches is advised against unless you can get insanely powerful replacements. Divinarius is very strong and could be a possible replacement if you can afford to lose the block chance.

I'm pretty sure it goes without saying, but if you are making this build in Default league and are fantastically wealthy, then Voll's Devotion is incredibly powerful and will likely nearly double your damage output.

Gems

This build has some pretty light requirements for gem slots. A 4-link is more than enough to suffice for a time, but getting a 5 or a 6-link will help quite a bit with damage - especially single target (where the build lacks.)

The core links are Cyclone - Cast on Critical Strike - Discharge - Life Leech - (Increased Critical Damage)

I tested a few different 5-link options and Increased Critical Damage was my choice. Don't worry too much about quality on your gems. It's useful but not necessary. Eventually you can roll your gems over at level 20 to get 20% quality on the ones where it's useful. 6-link options include Concentrated Effect, Increased Critical Strikes or Mana Leech. I wouldn't bother with Elemental Proliferation or anything of the like - you need to boost single target damage with your 6 link, not your AoE clearing ability.

I won't bother going into extensive other options for gem setups specifically. As far as auras go, I'd definitely run Clarity full time so long as you're using Mind over Matter. After that, you can run Purity of Elements or Grace if needed. Most of the other auras aren't useful to you other than potentially Haste.

I would recommend having the Critical Weakness and Enfeeble Curses available to you. I personally use Enfeeble on a Cast When Damage Taken set up with Molten Shell as well, but the choice is yours.

Devouring Totem is another option - it's great for topping yourself off if you are having some issues in combat and generally smooths out the build quite a bit. I prefer to retain manual control over the Totem, so I don't use it on CwDT.

Blood Rage is a great spell to add to AoE clearing potential and not that difficult to support if you've maxed your Chaos resist.

Mapping and Playstyle

With the high block rate, good resists, and a solid life pool supported by Mind over Matter, you can generally fearlessly jump into melee with just about any mob in the game without too much of a worry. Constant bursts of high damage mean with Vaal Pact you'll be constantly refilling your life instantly. On harder content you can try to separate mobs into smaller groups to clean up. Your damage increases exponentially the more targets you're hitting so moderately sized groups will be your best bet for sustained and safe damage.

Most map mods have little effect on your playstyle. The hardest mods to deal with are "of Smothering" (50% recovery of Life and Mana) and "of Hemomancy" (blood magic). Most other map mods are annoying and certainly make them harder but aren't necessarily a silver bullet threat. With the half recovery you're at risk of running OOM very heavily and your life leech won't be as effective. With Blood Magic you won't have any Mana to use for Mind over Matter and if you go for a long streak of non-crits with Cyclone you will very quickly drain your HP. The No Regen and Elemental Reflect mods are fairly annoying but only cause major problems when paired with other mods (especially each other.)

You might do better in some maps if you disable Mind over Matter during them. It will result in a dip in survivability for sure but not being able to sustain mana for Cyclone is even more dangerous. Consider the cost of a single regret an added price for the cost of a high value map.

Summary and FAQ

So that's the build! It's my baby and it's definitely not perfect. The single target damage can be a bit lacking but considering how little currency investment it takes I think the build is worth the time. And it's quite fun!

Let me know what you think. Videos coming soon!

Edit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPbK67YPMeU - Video explaining the build a bit and killing Piety!

Edit 2: Sorry about the lack of updates. I will go through the thread soon and respond to all of the feedback/concerns. The holiday season this year was kinda rough for me so I haven't really had my head in the game as far as this thread. As soon as I get more time this will be taken care of. In the meantime, I can post my gear real quickly:

Gear

Rainbowstride is on full time - I'm still trying to reorganize my gear to allow for the loss of my Amulet (thus giving me the Stone of Lazhwar's incredible block) and I may be dropping some chaos resist and/or blood rage. More details on this in the future.

I got all of the equipment pretty cheap by just watching poe.xyz.is and hawking for good deals. If I do end up dropping my chaos resist I might also be able to use the crit gloves as well. Time will tell!
Last edited by Cilantro on Mar 20, 2014, 11:15:25 AM
Looks fun, can't wait to see videos.
I saw a scion with COC discharger. he is using a shield.

I'm excited to try this build because I just FOUND two gauche, and brought voll protector for 1c

I hope it as tanky as you say it would be. I'm so tired of dying so many times on maps.

BTW: can you use this build early in the game.... as low as lvl 35? (with volls and gauche)
Last edited by ryukenden on Dec 18, 2013, 11:26:07 PM
Thanks for the interest in the build! I'm not certain about using the cast on crit early. The majority of your crit and other utility starts to come in around the level 60-80 range so it's kinda hard to really gauge how well it would do. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot! But don't hesitate to stick with Spectral Throw + LMP + Life on Hit. Get yourself some cheap unique twohanders like Rigvald's Charge or Geofri's Baptism.

The build is definitely tanky, but it's a huuuuge paradigm shift if you've never played with Vaal Pact. The tankyness does rely quite a bit on actually being in melee - but hey, that's where you deal your damage!
So how do you deal with bosses/exiles
I love pie.
I can handle bosses, it's just slow. It's not really dire - I can usually hang. It's just not ideal. Having a bit higher of a crit chance would help smooth things out quite a bit.
Have you consider using molten shield into this build (optional)?
I actually do use Molten Shell on a levelled Cast when Damage Taken. I didn't bother going into all of the CwDT shenanigans available to the build because of how common they are but I suppose it's not a bad idea.
I'm gonna start theorycrafting heavily tomorrow.

To end the question of the night. I was experimenting with dual gauche at lvl 20's. So far it blew all other items/unique away with it crazy dps and block bonus. I even pvp and haven't even lose a single point. stood there and let them hit me for a while.

I'm not sure what items your're using end-game but I am considering of using high-dps/attack speed/crit dagger main-hand while keeping Gauche on the off-hand. With double strike as a main ability for single target/bosses. This is of course changing from cyclone to double strike or link it in and have both. Going to experiment with the cyclone once i reach the desired level.
Last edited by ryukenden on Dec 19, 2013, 4:59:36 AM
I've tested cast on crit quite extensively, and I have my own (similar) build that uses double strike.

If you have any questions hit me up :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info