Open Beta - design changes

CI has chaos immunity...

I want to hug you guys <3
IGN: Raise_Ur_Donger
GGG is fast becoming my next (old, not current) Blizzard.

Thank you so much for intelligent game design! This has been lacking from game industry for years.
Thank you for a very informative behind-the-scenes to the ob patch changes. Most f2p games don't put 1/4 of your effort to their balance change threads.

Funny that none of the skills/keystones/playstyles I used were "nerfed", unless you count auras becoming more expensive (though I only ever used one per chara). I guess I've always built my charas defective in some ways, but that's how I roll (and also why I don't play hc). The thing is, the best experiences I've had with PoE is me dying a lot to a boss and then experimenting with skills I've never used before and finally managing to kill my foe. Comparatively in ye olde D2 I would essentially be effed if my preferred skills would not hurt the boss.

I can see why hc players would be irritated by the changes, but this is still a bit early to completely denounce the patch. We'll only truly know the effects of ob changes after we get to play with the altered game.
Split 'n' fork(lift)
Thank you guys! For this explanation, for this game, for your awesome work, and for returning bright colors in my life ^_^
Awesome, cant wait!!
It's good to know you won't stop with the gameplay changes. This allows for it to be a perpetual experience.

I do think that when large skill changes occur, all players should be awarded with a few refund points.
My article promoting PoE:
http://www.axonnsays.com/2013/01/you-are-invited-to-the-path-of-exile-open-beta

Running PoE on an Intel i5 2500K, Radeon 7950 OC, SSD Vertex 3 MI, 8 GB RAM.
I'm also a Software Engineer and Indie Game Developer ::- ). Go Go GGG!!!
Love the explanation.

Even if you disagree with the changes, an explanation makes it easier to swallow, as you can see that there is, indeed, humans behind the design.
While raw patch notes are indeed lovely from a technical aspect, they often leaves one wondering if the dev team are just ignorant idiots since they didn't implement that-fix-which-would-have-made-your-day.

This reminds me of The Secret World, which was awesome, endgame just didn't fit me.

Great job - hope to see more of these posts, from time to time :)
Running on Ubuntu Linux 12.10
(I'm unsupported, oh noez!)
"
Xikorut wrote:
The question is... Have you actually tried CI? Have you played a character with it in an economy that lacks endgame ES gear? It's not that amazing in truth. You'll die more than once. The only time I've ever seen CI become OP was with gear that would suffice to beat endgame with single pieces rather than a whole set... Until I saw, CI + GR that is. If you have a fair bit of ES with GR, you'll never die with a caster's damage. On the plus side, it looks like HP/ES is a fair bit stronger, so some witches may go that route.

If chaos were actually more of a threat than less of one now, I'd probably try to use HP/ES in the endgame. For now, I'm going to do my usual race tactics, get up to endgame, and abuse the fuck out of GR with the boost life leech gems. The increased costs of auras and required attributes worry me, especially since the slightly buffed haste aura will likely require enough dex to ruin most of the buff for non-dex users.

Honestly, all this does to a CI is make it utterly worthless until further in the endgame. This was not something I wanted to see, since it is an entire playstyle that keeps getting pushed further back. If you have godly gear, the change won't even matter to you; you'll still be stronger than nicely geared people were with CI before. You just have to WAIT now.

This is exactly how all CI builds were played during alpha. In a tiny, tiny economy, with not enough regrets to go around (CI builds require regrets), not enough resources to reroll ES gear so it gives max ES, and with lots and lots of dying.

None of the valid concerns I raised about CI in alpha were addressed by any of the current changes, which we also did not even get to test much of... so I can't help but say I'm disappointed. Who's to say chaos resistance on gear is even going to be balanced? And it's going to be /in the economy/ forever, if this is all a horrible mistake. So... I can only hope things work out in the end. I know GGG has a brain behind its decisions so the ones in 0.10.0 will assuredly be augmented in 0.10.1.

Yet, coming from one alpha member, CI is worthless now. Only the most niche of niche builds will be able to use it to any success. I have a CI Templar on the realm now who can't even clear Fellshrine archer packs. He literally has to run away from them. And good luck to me, on ever clearing maps or areas with swiftly mobile enemies...
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Jan 23, 2013, 7:32:00 AM
i have only 1 question to you GGG in OBT when u remake "filalr" keystone of a build we get FREE respec? cuz if u make our buid sux and then tell us "u need to pay for a respec" it would be a litte unfair... and ofc for u too cuz free respec are hmmm ;p free;p

btw there is any PoE dictionary ? it could help ewcommers who dont know what CI ES AoF or other shortcut are
Last edited by magar90 on Jan 23, 2013, 7:28:37 AM
Best birthday present of all time. Cheers!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info