[1.xx] Islidox's Build tips/critique section for Rangers

hey guys, i started a ranger yesterday and have no idea what i should skill. can anyone link a good bow build? :)
"
muegge wrote:
hey guys, i started a ranger yesterday and have no idea what i should skill. can anyone link a good bow build? :)

All the builds on the first page are really good, pick one that will suit your style, and enjoy.
"
Islidox wrote:

@Cronos988: I would follow this build using 88 points
The Ranger's starting melee nodes (other than the 6% attack speed) are really weak and you're better off spending them elsewhere.

Thanks for the input. I rerolled the ranger and started with the defensive nodes now. I am going for a bit of a different build, with a focus on frenzy charges and crits. I wanted to make use of the Ranger's start position close to all frenzy nodes and some really nice crit nodes, instead of just doing a "female Duelist" build. No idea if it will work, but I like the look of it: Sword DW Crit Build

Which build do you think is best for a new ranger? blood magic, strengh ranger o elemental ranger?
this is my first time in PoE and I have no idea what skills I have to use, actually Im using the petrov's build, please if you can say me what skills I have to use to maximize this build, thanks.
sorry for my bad english.

petrov's build: elemental ranger.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAdECcQSzCC4OrRRNFHUVIBmOGbQppSpNLOkyfjKJNYY1kjboOlI6szrhPC0_J0p9TP9N407IVvpX4livX6pjp2egapNs9m6qc-F0QXfleA16uILkh3aI8YqvkAqQEZuNnaqiAKJAplepbqxZrpOvbK_rtBq18rc-uc3AD8HYxKLFisauytPTft0N3Ubext-_4svnY-pi7YPuDvAf8kX0-PeI-rH8TvzF_gr-jw==
Hey, I'm a new Ranger as well. Played the Closed Beta, but never got higher than level 45 or so as a Marauder.

I've been thinking about trying a build like this for Hardcore:

Crit Frost Ranger

The idea is that it's high physical damage + crit using Frenzy as single target and Rain of Arrows as AoE. I would be using the Added Cold Damage support gem with both and also the Hatred Aura. The idea is that every time I crit the enemies will be frozen, providing an additional layer of defense on top of hp + armor/resist.

My main concern is that there isnt as much +hp as you can attain with a pure elemental build (such as Petrov's) but hopefully the constant crits keeping enemies frozen will help that.

Would be glad to have some feedback :)

Edit: Auras would be Hatred, Grace and Clarity.
Last edited by edef on Jan 27, 2013, 2:58:33 PM
Why not cold shot + pierce/multi projectiles for aoe?

I'd be wary of crit routes in general. It's pretty difficult to access good crit spots from Ranger tree from what I've seen. You need to give up other benefits to reach them I find.
Hey this is a great thread and is very helpful. I just have a couple questions and I am hoping you guys will help me

I feel like I am right around the point where I don't want to head in the wrong direction on the passive tree. I am wondering if acrobatics is useless for a bow build? I thought it would be cool to have but I notice that mostly no one is using it.

Also, I was going for a crit build for sure, but I feel like I am using too many skill gems. I have been taking some out as I am getting more support gems, but later on for higher levels are certain arrow skills much better than others? Like right now I have poison, burning, lightning, split, rain, frenzy, puncture, and I have been keeping as many socketed as possible to level them up. Should I focus on just 2-3 of them and get the support gems for the ones I really like? I dont want to spread myself out too much but I also dont want to miss out on something because I am not using it.

Thanks for any help
@NERV: Take a look at this thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/66187
I personally would recommend Double Strike, Lightning Strike, and Heavy Strike supported by bunch of other skills.

@Cronos988: That DW-Crit build still lacks a lot of life. As a melee build using BM, you should at least have 6 clusters of life, and I'm not joking about that. I personally think investing in Crit is a massive waste of passive points that could be spent on grabbing nearby melee/sword notables that really up the damage.

@Yunc4: I would go for the Elemental Ranger as it has characteristics of both a Strength and BM Ranger, however, that's your decision to make.

@dkdence: mrpetrov's thread lists the skills he uses for his build. Obviously all the elemental bow skills will be apt for such a build. (Lightning Arrow, Burning Arrow, Ice Shot, Elemental Hit)

@edef: I would consider taking out Frenzy altogether and just use Ice Shot. Either that, or use Ice Shot for bosses as it's mana cost has been lowered since closed beta. I think your build is fine, if a bit overstretched by reaching into the Shadow tree. When traveling down the passive highway, make sure you grab life as soon as you can. SC builds can momentarily skip them until later levels, but as HC you need those life nodes ASAP. Act 3 is TOUGH and you will get rocked if you're not careful.

@Apeiros: If you're the type who's risk averse, take Iron Reflexes. Most people do because it's the safer option of the two, though Acrobatics/PA with lots of evasion and life is viable for a RANGED Ranger. (has been tested)

As for your skill selection, you might want to take a look at this post I made earlier: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224/page/12#p888661
You definitely are using way too many skills than necessary and should focus on having no more than 4 types of attack. (the rest are support skills)
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Question: For Build 3 (Crit Ranger) what skills should I be using?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info