[1.xx] Islidox's Build tips/critique section for Rangers

Hey there,
I just started my ranger, but I'm not too sure where to go right now. I'm experimenting with my skill gems (I have Poison, Lightning, Split, Hail). Some seem somewhat filling the same or similar role, so I'm not too sure which one I should keep, if it even does make any sense at all to level all these up.
I was chopping this skill tree and came up with something like this:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBm43OqAG873r2o6-nLOkVICpNPyduqjJ-tfKpbngNWK826DpS37_K0xm0-rHqYu4OVvp0QXfXlQUylH8C2cYFhKbgfyvWijH6dvfKqSF2MHxRR2_yOdSgnzMM_isZ1f_eJGq4N42_BbXUI7TFC5Ga8QiJkyVdaMEzhmBWBGFSMgkD2wDMhxNoDpykhQ40ICImsTCGznfU-VbTfgzypcs2Ped0YeIPq21stUiH2xa_8-pwUsBRcNWXBsSi3BWr0qfU_siv6-fq-TM-z73m-WPnVCT91QC0GuLLJT_ajYdB

not so much defense, but I play on normal right now (or whatever it is called here) and I don't mind for starters to have not that much defense. Does this make any sense? Right now I'm down to Iron Grip in the game, making my way to Blood Magic.
Last edited by Durgarnkuld on Jan 25, 2013, 1:47:24 AM
This post really helps.

Thanks for all Islidox.
Are elemental rangers the best right now? Petrovs build seems to generate a lot of buzz? I'm just curious which way I should go? Or follow build number 2? I thought that everyone said physical dmg rangers suck right now?
Opinions on this build?

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBr-sB0fT4okDEotwVq9Kn1P7Im40ILhmO7YPTfjWSTsjuDhrb-WO95j7PUUdv8jnUoJ-fJ42_BbUM8qXLNj1W-vzFZ6CHdkp93Q0s6cS41fhuaWqTtkFaGiyFdPGeuTB8fyvWitQj3ajGojBxS3g6Qls9FSCD2_xLznFsFpLN4oCsR-d0YeKH2xa_8-pwUnDVXfKiLg5IpzQZtPqx6mJNknRBFHXB2EWWkvM=
I'm new to PoE, could you recommend me some example skill choices for Islidox's Basic Ranger type 2 build? 1 skill for aoe and 1 for single target is enough? The rest should be auras or some other stuff? I'm asking because i want to avoid picking wrong gems. I guess there are tons of questions like that already, so sorry if im being annoying ;c Also, this build has 85 points to invest, where should i head first? Going for iron reflexes pretty early is good idea?
Last edited by Chromek on Jan 25, 2013, 12:13:50 PM
In the linked post (below), I've added my own variant on mrpetrov's build (mrpetrov's build is mentioned by Islidox in his starter builds). Looking at mrpetrov's build made me realise that I do lack some base knowledge about certain stats and their relative effectiveness.

Some quick questions, mostly based on my post here. Because the answers might be useful for people that are considering different builds and not just mrpetrov's ele bow build, I'll ask more general versions of the questions here so the answers will add to this already very helpful thread.

1. Is Golem's Blood (+1.5% of life regenerated per second) worth it in a Blood Magic build, or is the regen too little to justify the cost and should I just stack heaps of +max life?
2. Is there an quick and dirty way to determine when it is safe to pick up BM? Minimum amount of hp, LoH, regen, leech? I'd hate to get it too early and go *splut* all the time :)
3. How important are resistances really? I've seen builds ignore Diamond Skin (+15% to all elemental resistances) even when it'd be a one point investment but also builds that did grab it
4. Is there a cutoff value for Strength when Iron Grip becomes worth it in an elemental bow build? Is there any reason to want Strength at all besides Iron Grip, like a min value needed for specific gems or decent pieces of equipment?
5. The same for Intelligence: is there some minimum value that will be of use to practically all (elemental bow) rangers, simply because useful kit/gems require it?
Last edited by Bundin on Jan 25, 2013, 1:22:56 PM
Is it actually possible to create a non-useless CI ranger? Doesn't matter what weaponry it would take, I just fancy a CI ranger.
"
Bundin wrote:

1. Is Golem's Blood (+1.5% of life regenerated per second) worth it in a Blood Magic build, or is the regen too little to justify the cost and should I just stack heaps of +max life?
2. Is there an quick and dirty way to determine when it is safe to pick up BM? Minimum amount of hp, LoH, regen, leech? I'd hate to get it too early and go *splut* all the time :)
3. How important are resistances really? I've seen builds ignore Diamond Skin (+15% to all elemental resistances) even when it'd be a one point investment but also builds that did grab it
4. Is there a cutoff value for Strength when Iron Grip becomes worth it in an elemental bow build? Is there any reason to want Strength at all besides Iron Grip, like a min value needed for specific gems or decent pieces of equipment?
5. The same for Intelligence: is there some minimum value that will be of use to practically all (elemental bow) rangers, simply because useful kit/gems require it?

1. 1.5% regen is great dude, it's not low.

2. I get so mad of using so many mana pots that I almost run straight to BM. But I get all the life nodes I can in the between.

3. I always get Diamond Skin. I like the resist, I think it's worth.

4. You gotta "waste" so many points to get Iron Grip.. I think only if you have above 300 strength. But I don't like Iron Grip, prefer to get other passives nearer.

5. You gotta get the intelligence you need to equip gems and some items. Just that. If you go to shadow direction, you can get sufficient intelligence.
Thank you very much for making this super informative thread. Not only that, but thank you again for creating the builds.

If i may be so bold as to give a suggestion.
It would be super helpful if the keystones were in order of priority.
I almost found myself grabbing Blood Magic when i was paper thin.

After I found Mind Drinker, I'm thinking about ditching BM and going for something like this instead:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBm43OqAG873r2o6-nLOkVICpNPyduqjJ-ytMZtPqx6mLuDlb6dEF315UFMpR_AtnGBYSm4H8r1oox-nb3yqkhdjB8UUdv8jnUoJ8zDP4rGdX_3iRquDeNvwW11CMD2wDMhxNoDpykhQ40ICImsTCGznfU-VbTfgzypcs2Ped0YeIPq21stUiH2xa_8-pwUsBRcNWXBsSi3BWr0qfU_siv6-fq-TM-z73m-WPnVCT91QC0GuLLJT_ajYdBrpNs9uOEDkinNM3q3Q38xWegh3ZKffDZSTtyfjqzNYadqrnN

Will Mind Drinker solve Mana issues or is it not enough?
Last edited by Durgarnkuld on Jan 25, 2013, 8:33:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info