[1.xx] Islidox's Build tips/critique section for Rangers

Hi ;D

a question: bandits quest cruel diff att spd o phys dmg? (blood magic rain of arrow build)

THANK YOU!
IGN: onechaosonekill @ NEMESIS
Last edited by ammteschi on Jan 28, 2013, 10:53:32 AM
Hello! Im pretty new to this game, but I love theorycrafting. I modified a couple of builds and Im hoping they are decent. Please critique!

Physical Crit Frenzy Ranger (IR US) - This is build 2 modified, its kinda glass cannon-ey so I have my doubts about the surviability of this build. Can drop the nodes towards the top in favour of easily reachable life nodes.

Lightning Elemental Ranger (BM RT IR US IG) - This is build 8 modified, quite a lot of life nodes and resist nodes, and hit a few clusters of elemental dmg increases.

Hybrid Ranger (IR IG) Offensive - Something I cooked up myself, I noticed that there were actually quite a few efficient nodes along the way in both the builds I modified so I threw this together, no idea if gearing will be a huge chore and if mind drinker is worth it on a hybrid build.

Hybrid Ranger (IR IG) Defensive - more defensive take on the previous build

Last edited by poepoepoepoepoe on Jan 28, 2013, 9:11:59 PM
"
Baron01 wrote:

You will die, a lot, due to ignoring life nodes. You also move very strangely around the passive tree wasting lots of points on just pure stats (definitely case of the north part above ranger starting position). There are other strange choices such as Iron Grip with very low strength (IR is good choice with around 200 STR or so). You did not decide on your defense mechanism--you have not picked Iron Reflexes or Acrobatics/Phase Acrobatics. Again, you will be heavily pressed to survive in Act3 or later difficulties.

I suggest you check first page where Islidox posted sample builds. That post is slighly lower on first page.
It is a good starting point if you are new and looking for directions. It is of course possible to build your own character but you should follow certain patterns, which can be observed in those sample builds.

This helped a lot. I made some weird choices I know.
At best case, I can remove 4x from attack speed areas and reposition those.
At worst case, I would need 8x respect points to remove Iron Grip. I think I can get all of these from leveling up anyway.
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
Last edited by Hixxie on Jan 28, 2013, 9:57:19 PM
@Tanakeah: With the same amount of points, I can get more bang for buck utilizing the Templar's other starting highway (You really don't need ALL those +mana/reducedmana nodes):

@MCube: Build is in good order. I put in 7 more points for more defense:

@volanchik: Good setup, but I believe you might need some more life.

In this scenario, I would hold off on getting Piercing Shots and the two Throatseeker clusters until after you have the necessary life. For an evasion build, you'll have to stack lots of life in order survive a hard hit.

@Posid: Hardcore has an emphasis on life/defense over damage, so be mindful of that if your attacks aren't beyond the 2k DPS mark.

@simonhaze: I'm not sure if there are any HC characters that would rely on evasion/A/PA/AD for defense, but I would definitely stick with Iron Reflexes for HC. I believe a Crit/Physical Ranger will not be easy to pull off in HC, but it can be done. Modifying your skilltree, this build has more life, flat damage, and 6 frenzy charges (+resists) at 95 points:

When you start out, head down the Evasion/life highway first, then the other damage-focused highway as you want that life up as soon as possible.

@ammteschi: Take +40 life for Oak, and passive points for the other two difficulties. The Physical damage and attack speed are paltry and is better off spent on a passive point.

@poepoepoepoepoe: I stopped looking at your builds when they all used 111 points. My advice I made in this thread addresses this: never make a build using all 111 points. While I don't see anything wrong with them as they're offshoots of the builds I've posted, I would make sure that you have plan when preceeding with any of those builds.
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 28, 2013, 10:00:14 PM
Front post has been udpated with link references to posts I made in this thread (builds, gear) that are important. I will eventually make a post regarding skills, supports, and synergy.
I have a question. I've been using the blood magic ranger build you posted on page 1 (the one with no crit), and I was just wondering.. how much should i be doing around lvl 60? With split arrow, i do roughly 900. I feel weak when I'm in a group with other rangers.
"
jbitz wrote:
I have a question. I've been using the blood magic ranger build you posted on page 1 (the one with no crit), and I was just wondering.. how much should i be doing around lvl 60? With split arrow, i do roughly 900. I feel weak when I'm in a group with other rangers.

That's a hard question to answer, but I suspect it may lie in your gear and supports linked with your skillgems. Will need more info to make an analysis.
Last edited by Islidox on Jan 28, 2013, 10:21:48 PM
This the gear / gems I am using:

Spoiler

I know I need to find better ammy/ring, but what else do I need to improve on? Thanks in advane :)
Last edited by jbitz on Jan 29, 2013, 8:23:26 AM
@Islidox

Oh yes...I didn't see that pathway either until much later, but yes that would definitely be a better investment overall. Thanks for that...think I've got a very good idea for how I want to make my next Ranger character once I'm done with this first one and a run through of everything and hopefully build up some nice gear to twink. :)
@Islidox

Thanks for the input, how about this re-re-modification on my skilltree vs the one you proposed:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAdEFtQguDPIOSA6tEHsRLxR1GY4a2xzcI_YkPCaVJ6kppSsKLUcwfDH6NZI2PTnUPs9JO0lRSn1OyFBCUUdVS1b6WkhabWHiZ6Bte2_ycn50QXb3fyt_xocZh3aH24hrjDaNv5C-mZqbjaCfoi6iQKXLpzSnXKfUqn-quKvSr-uw0rTFtUi297yfvea-OsEAwdjDbcSiyqnRqdN-1BnbGtwV44Tjn-tj7Bjtg-4O73rv8PDZ9Pj1S_lj_MX-yA==

More life, more energy shield, more movement speed, a bit less damage.
Last edited by simonhaze on Jan 29, 2013, 3:27:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info