Elemental Buzzsaw & Static Strike - Solo the entire game, quickly and cheaply 1.1.0 update

This build can not scale crit very well.

With extremely heavy investment into crit and some really top notch gear I could only reach 16500 ish dps at a measly 4500 life. Dropping all crit gear/nodes and going to life/ele I was able to reach 14000 dps , 5300 life.

If my jeweled foil had 37% innate crit this would perhaps be 17500-18500 but such a weapon would be very very rare. Accuracy is also huge problem because you do not get much DEX from nodes and getting jewelry with life ele in addition to accuracy is very difficult. I also found my resists to be way way overcapped and this was a bit annoying as I had always barely capped them and used purity of elemental for ele weakness maps as a form of optimization.

Here is my current gearset:
Spoiler

passive:

Stats:
14700 spectral
35360 double strike
5328 life
277 life regen
6830 eva

I would have to say this is possibly the most cost efficient build I have come across and rather fun to play even if the damage can not be scaled exponentially well through ele gear or crit.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Dec 26, 2013, 4:21:53 PM
Nice work 6 linking the chest. Should put some et/ex into it. Not that hard to roll the 2 evasions you need. ;)
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
"
Altissimus wrote:
"
runnin17 wrote:
@Mathil: Your point about the lightning coil is a good one. It is likely superior to cloak of defiance due to the added life and higher armor compared to cloak of defiance. However, regarding your point about not being able to constantly attack while using EB...you are just wrong here. Will EB you will have around around 3000 mana (and that is on the low end), plus you will be running clarity. End game your mana regen will be near 250-300 per second. That is more than enough to run Mind over matter and arctic armor and still run all skills off of mana. However, I concede that using a lightning coil is superior compared to using cloak of defiance. That way you do not have to worry about keeping around 700 mana free for tanking big hits and you can essentially run the auras exactly as you have minus maybe one 40% aura. In all honesty I would like replace that one 40% aura with tempest shield for an extra 4% block chance. Still would be able to run arctic armor and run skills completely off of mana.

I know you think you wouldn't be able to run skills off of mana, but trust me, I have built 3 EB builds and also ran arctic armor on all of them. I could even run a 6L cyclone build off mana only without having any mana leech. The only problem would be half regen/no regen maps regarding the mana issue and that could be solved with having a small amount of mana leech on gear or using mana leech gem.

Kudos on pointing out the lightning coil though. I agree it is vastly superior to cloak of defiance.

runnin, you clearly know a reasonable amount about this game. I would therefore be really interested in understanding how you intend to:

- grow your mana to 3,000 while also,
- having enough points to reach around the tree for all the reduced-mana-reservation nodes this build requires, while also
- having enough life for survival, and still
- hitting both MoM and EB, that are nowhere near the reduced-mana-reservation nodes

Now, once you've shared your tree that somehow manages to do all that, I'd like you to consider:

Out of your mana pool, you're running Haste, Anger, Wrath and two 40%ers.

Let's be generous and call that one 40%er.

So, you're running Haste, Anger and Wrath @ (given that it'll differ as you level, let's say) 21% each (that's 63%) and a purity @ 15% (that's 78%). If you somehow manage to get your mana pool to 3,000, you'll have a mana reservation of 78%, leaving 660 mana. Out of this, you'll run Clarity.

From that 660 mana, you propose to be running AA, tempest shield, AND absorbing damage from MoM. With so little mana, the damage that MoM can absorb will be significantly reduced because you'll run out of mana. Irrespective of how fast you regen it, one-two hits and you'll have none. The third hit will go straight through MoM.

Now, in return for that "benefit", you:

- cripple your evasion, because you need hybrid gear for EB
- definitely don't have enough points to also get Acrobatics
- lose probably both of the 40% auras, meaning you don't get your resistances above 77% (which is a key part of this build's mitigation).
- almost certainly lose dps/life to pay for your EB and mana requirements
- have less life leech from less dps
- take longer to clear

You take a 5-aura build with DPS, life, evasion and god-like resistances, and make it into a 3-aura build with less dps, less life, massively reduced evasion, no ES, normal resistances - just to gain AA and a MoM of decidedly limited functionality.

Mate, go for it. At least when you die in "non-scrub-mode" then we won't have to listen to you go on about this build anymore.

A.

That is a huge wall of text that completely missed the whole point of my post, haha. I admitted that lightning coil is vastly superior to Cloak of Defiance given that Lightning Coil gives added life while still offering 40% less physical damage. That is good stuff. If I would use Lightning coil I would obviously not run Mind Over Matter. Thought that was a given considering the passive tree I initially linked didn't take MoM due to using Cloak of Definace. Guess you have some issues with reading comprehension, oh well. If I used lightning coil I would still likely take EB. It is actually insanely easy to get 3k mana when using EB. Literally 3k mana with any EB build is on the very, very low end. For example, I have a max block build that I run Bringer of Rain, Wings of Entropy and run MoM, EB AND level 20 arctic armor. I have right at 3k mana on that build and I am only level 81 and have not taken the extra ES nodes. Since I would be using a 1hander with this build I could just get a hybrid EV/ES shield and also just use hybrid gloves and hybrid boots to reach the high mana. I probably wouldn't chance the passive tree much at all compared to

So I guess when you read my post you completely missed where I said, "I concede that using a lightning coil is superior compared to using cloak of defiance. That way you do not have to worry about keeping around 700 mana free for tanking big hits and you can essentially run the auras exactly as you have minus maybe one 40% aura."

Hm, guess you really didn't understand that, again, oh well.
Ok, so was discussing the build with another fan just now (after I'd sold him my old sword) (for a good price, honest) and we were discussing the benefits of Ondar's Guile. To be clear it was his idea not mine (you know who you are!).

Now, in my experience the things that kill me on this build are projectiles. Melee just isn't a threat. I was thinking about this suggestion and it really does stack up. Right now I'd happily trade in some life for double evasion versus projectiles. I would suggest that you could lose Purity of Flesh (top left of tree) which would give you back 4 points. You need 5 points to add in Ondar's Guile.

If like me you've taken a +30 Dex node (a lot of the fastest rapiers need the 212 dex barrier) you could lose that too from the dex you'd gain on the way to OG - so that's the 5 points you'd need.

I think OG outweighs the benefit of Purity of Flesh:

- 32% life, 10% chaos, 10 intellect (Purity of Flesh), +30 dex node vs:
- +40 dex, double evasion vs projectiles

Guess it depends on how worried you are when you see projectiles coming at you :)

Good hunting,

A.
"
runnin17 wrote:

That is a huge wall of text that completely missed the whole point of my post, haha. I admitted that lightning coil is vastly superior to Cloak of Defiance given that Lightning Coil gives added life while still offering 40% less physical damage. That is good stuff. If I would use Lightning coil I would obviously not run Mind Over Matter. Thought that was a given considering the passive tree I initially linked didn't take MoM due to using Cloak of Definace. Guess you have some issues with reading comprehension, oh well. If I used lightning coil I would still likely take EB. It is actually insanely easy to get 3k mana when using EB. Literally 3k mana with any EB build is on the very, very low end. For example, I have a max block build that I run Bringer of Rain, Wings of Entropy and run MoM, EB AND level 20 arctic armor. I have right at 3k mana on that build and I am only level 81 and have not taken the extra ES nodes. Since I would be using a 1hander with this build I could just get a hybrid EV/ES shield and also just use hybrid gloves and hybrid boots to reach the high mana. I probably wouldn't chance the passive tree much at all compared to

So I guess when you read my post you completely missed where I said, "I concede that using a lightning coil is superior compared to using cloak of defiance. That way you do not have to worry about keeping around 700 mana free for tanking big hits and you can essentially run the auras exactly as you have minus maybe one 40% aura."

Hm, guess you really didn't understand that, again, oh well.

To be honest I tend to gloss over a lot of what you write. It's difficult to pick out the useful nuggets amidst all the "geez man you're an idiot hahaha" comments. Discussion and debate are useful skills; they are however a little more complicated than calling someone an idiot simply because they have a different view to you.
"
Mathil wrote:
Nice work 6 linking the chest. Should put some et/ex into it. Not that hard to roll the 2 evasions you need. ;)

Im finding between block/acro/life regen and my measly evasion i dont really get damaged often but ill def blow some currency on the chest once i acquire said currency :)

Do you have any tips for increasing my ST DPS? This gear set is pretty well optimized but I still can not even break the 15 000 barrier. I guess the APS is already so high that anymore would be subject to diminishing returns and I can not squeeze anymore ele or wed into existing gear slots.

Right now EE maps and ele resists mob are making my life miserable but thats a flaw with all ele based damage.
Last edited by Nephalim on Dec 26, 2013, 5:41:25 PM
"
Nephalim wrote:

With extremely heavy investment into crit and some really top notch gear I could only reach 16500 ish dps at a measly 4500 life. Dropping all crit gear/nodes and going to life/ele I was able to reach 14000 dps , 5300 life.

If my jeweled foil had 37% innate crit this would perhaps be 17500-18500 but such a weapon would be very very rare. Accuracy is also huge problem because you do not get much DEX from nodes and getting jewelry with life ele in addition to accuracy is very difficult. I also found my resists to be way way overcapped and this was a bit annoying as I had always barely capped them and used purity of elemental for ele weakness maps as a form of optimization.

Spoiler

passive:

Stats:
14700 spectral
35360 double strike
5328 life
277 life regen
6830 eva

I would have to say this is possibly the most cost efficient build I have come across and rather fun to play even if the damage can not be scaled exponentially well through ele gear or crit.

Thanks for the insight on that - I guess I'm going RT!

Did you get to test out IR vs Acro by any chance? My character's reaching the point where I have to decide.
"
Nephalim wrote:

Spoiler

passive:

Stats:
14700 spectral
35360 double strike
5328 life
277 life regen
6830 eva

Thanks for the insight on that - I guess I'm going RT!

Did you get to test out IR vs Acro by any chance? My character's reaching the point where I have to decide.
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Mathil wrote:

Im finding between block/acro/life regen and my measly evasion i dont really get damaged often but ill def blow some currency on the chest once i acquire said currency :)

Do you have any tips for increasing my ST DPS? This gear set is pretty well optimized but I still can not even break the 15 000 barrier. I guess the APS is already so high that anymore would be subject to diminishing returns and I can not squeeze anymore ele or wed into existing gear slots.

Right now EE maps and ele resists mob are making my life miserable but thats a flaw with all ele based damage.

Not really man, I'm sure you already know that your gear pieces are as close to max dps as you can get.

Only thing left for you is getting higher levels or transferring survivability in your passive tree to damage.

EE really isn't a big deal to me, hardly cuts my damage and a resist mob/maps don't do much either as long as you can curse.

Don't get so caught up in the tooltip dps though. 14k dps is alot higher for ST than it actually is. Your friends with 25k or whatever double strike may look down on you but you're really doing more dps than them as well as providing massive group utility.

This spec won't be the "be all end all" spec for damage. It's just in my opinion a great well rounder spec. If you want more damage you'll probably have to try going the crit wander route I talked to you about or a voltaxic crit build or something.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
"
Mathil wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Mathil wrote:

Not really man, I'm sure you already know that your gear pieces are as close to max dps as you can get.

Only thing left for you is getting higher levels or transferring survivability in your passive tree to damage.

EE really isn't a big deal to me, hardly cuts my damage and a resist mob/maps don't do much either as long as you can curse.

Don't get so caught up in the tooltip dps though. 14k dps is alot higher for ST than it actually is. Your friends with 25k or whatever double strike may look down on you but you're really doing more dps than them as well as providing massive group utility.

This spec won't be the "be all end all" spec for damage. It's just in my opinion a great well rounder spec. If you want more damage you'll probably have to try going the crit wander route I talked to you about or a voltaxic crit build or something.

Funny you mention that I actually do have a voltaxic set I can send you the link if youre interested, I respeced the same scion to try out this build. LA scaled so magnificently well with crit, ias, and ele and I thought I could replicate the same with ST since their very similar attacks but the speed of the weapons was something i didnt consider.

I was actually able to squeeze out a decent amount of dps by mirroring your scion starting (I had taken life regen nodes instead of projectile damage in order to reach marauder area) so thank you for that.

I am definitely enjoying the build so far. The aura bonuses alone are enough to mitigate the resistances of mobs and I have never used a shield in my life so this ability to tank somewhat is nice.

ST toolbar is indeed a bit deceptive, its 3 projectiles with 100% pierce and they will generally hit twice.
Last edited by Nephalim on Dec 26, 2013, 6:13:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info