[TUTORIAL] How to skill the ice bitch witch ^^

First and foremost: Thank you all for your nice feedback! I am happy that some of you enjoyed watching it ^^

I might make a few more of these introductory tutorials. While streaming, I get the same questions a lot (e.g., how do skills work, how do gems work...), so it might be beneficial ^^

Now to BTrayaL`s post: Thank you for your comment, of course there are differentiating opinions on the matter. I am not sure sure though if you are trolling or if you have not watched the right video...

"
BTrayaL wrote:
Man, you don't differentiate between Crit Rating and Crit Damage, you value very low fixed values over percentages.

Simple: 5% of zero is zero. And my explanation based 100% on the differentiation between crit rating and crit damage percentages. If you have no money, would you rather have 1000$ or 5% on your savings? You take the flat base cash first, THEN you get the interest on it. ^^ So I dont really know what you mean.

And HOW do you SKILL damage on the skill tree, when there are only % gains? If you do 30 cold damage, and you get 6% on that... well do the math. I dont think it is that significant.

I rather crit 30% of the time with 60+ damage. With the right base values (as explained) you will crit ALL THE TIME. And crit means 200+x% damage. PLUS freeze. So there is your damage.
Also, in my vid, I clearly explained that I go pure cold damage percentages next (around lvl 25). OK, I do value 400 energy shield over 100 energy shield, I hope that is not wrong.

Fact is, that I kill stuff at about 2x the rate than any other early opening build (including damage skilling, up to Cruel diff) that I did. THEN I go for more damage (as explained) as I will need it THEN.

"
BTrayaL wrote:
In the early to mid game (until at least lvl 40-45), the crit rating is so low, that it doesn't even matter. You need damage.

I beg to differ. With my crit rating at low difficulty I crit pretty much all the time. Only at higher diff (ruthless) this does not work that well anymore.
Plus...
Also, I would bet that at level 40-45 our builds look not that different. (I hit rutheless around 34ish). So I dont even know why you argue about it "if it does not even matter".

"
BTrayaL wrote:
You recommend STR, for life?

What? Where? I explained that I specifically NOT recommend STR for life. oO As I said, I dont think you really watched the video.

"
BTrayaL wrote:
The only thing I can relate is that I got my power charges very late too.

See, we have one thing in common :D All is good in the world of PoE!

"
BTrayaL wrote:
I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but you shouldn't be advising people that have probably not played yet, at least until you level a witch beyond lvl 55-60.

Well, you do come across as a "little" jerky, b/c you dont really say how you do it differently. As a matter of fact, the "You need damage" argument is totally moot imo, as my build clearly delivers more survivability (and damage?) than a glass cannon. I crit all the time AT EARLY LEVELS, translating into 200%+ damage translating into freezing your opponents, translating into not taking damage.

"
BTrayaL wrote:

If you just wanted to show off your char, I wouldn't even posted, but you named this thread Tutorial.

Yeah, ... Dont know what to reply to that really, other than: If you just wanted to show that you have a higher level character than and thusly are better and naturally always right, you could have made the post a lot shorter. ^^

Still, thanks for your comments, I know there are different ways of skilling things, especially with the game being new and all. I would have liked some constructive feedback better, but I cant have it all ^^. Will look forward to your tutorial video on the matter ^^
Last edited by Starcraft42 on Sep 9, 2011, 10:51:37 PM
SC i think you did very well and i think i will make a witch with your spec. when i get in beta.
In Hardcore, you have to go str tree to get +hp boost or you will inevitably die. Crit is good late game, post 40.
"
Starcraft42 wrote:
Greetings fellow exilees!

On my stream I received many request to explain the skill tree in general and how I skilled my magic finding ice witch in particular.

So I made a little tutorial video, in which I also shortly touch on marauder and duellist/dexer skilling.

Enjoy: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17154231

As I am sure there are many different ways of doing things out there, my build just offers one way of doing it. If you got other builds, let us know below ^^

Any questions or comments are greatly appreciated!

in your video you said there's absolutely no difference between hardcore and softcore and that's not true; in hardcore you can get to maelstrom of chaos
Good stuff, watching now.
I saw you made a templar too. Does the magic hybrid class scale well or does the witch just outclass it ? And how would you build a templar up with a focus on magic ?
I like your videos.
I was wondering if you have tried any other spells other than cold and if so how good were they.
"
meskalin64 wrote:
I like your videos.
I was wondering if you have tried any other spells other than cold and if so how good were they.

Hey,

I tried a firewitch/minion build which was not really good, though. Its VERY slow to play, although you dont really die at all...
There are not enough spells for fire (just fireball atm) - and though that does a lot of damage, it is really no fun to play.

The lightning witch is very similar to the cold witch, very strong attacks, maybe even stronger than the cold witch. Cold witch has a little more crowd control due to frost and chill.
Great specc! Might try this out when i get in to the beta.
ʘ‿ʘ MoreStuff ʘ‿ʘ
Really liked the vid, good job.
Standard: Shiverlyss, Lythyssa, Solaris, Goldorak, Clash, Cleavage, Sunflow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info