TyrusDark's Basic Racing Guide Version 2 - More content and advice all moved to Page 1

"
Kirielis wrote:
I can confirm that the downtime needed to go back to town and pick up Whirling Blades is made back, and then some, by being able to spam it through the rest of the game.
Worth noting that leap slam is the same way.

Hell just skipping the cliff runs in Prisoners Gate alone makes up for the time.
Content now in OP
Last edited by TyrusDark on Feb 2, 2014, 8:19:08 AM
Act 2 information greatly expanded in OP
Last edited by TyrusDark on Feb 2, 2014, 8:19:23 AM
Nice thread!

*bookmarked*

Edit:
I've read all the info I can find about races. Including everything in this thread.
Still I can't get the hang of racing :(
I'm too slow and I'm just too underleveled in Act 1. I run as fast as I can. I only try to attack large clusters of monster. Still I'm seldom able to finish Brutus within 20ish minutes and I always reach Prisoners Gate around level 9 with a lot to go to level 10 (where I can use Leap Slam).
Time to Act 2 is still 45ish minutes... Which is BAD.

This is a nice video to see someone play a very good 2H game:
http://www.twitch.tv/helmannn/c/3351271

GGG:
PLEASE add more 1H and 2H solo races! Pretty please!
--== Enjoying the game ==--
Last edited by Twiiik on Dec 17, 2013, 4:08:20 PM
"
1) Hillock gives 29% experience. The Crabs give more EXP than the zombies. I plan to test further during the 12m blitzes coming up.

My blitz strategy involves L2 on strand too. Can confirm that it's some, but not a lot, of lost time relative to L2 on coast/mudflats, but then in a 12min blitz every second counts. Thanks for the info!

"
2) Logging to the char screen immediately after killing brutus. getting whatever skill gems you don't have yet and taking a first stab at shopping for Sapphire rings (i THINK Nessa starts selling them at Level 9, so if you're still below that you won't be able to do it. I am not SURE that this is the case though). Theoretically if your inventory isn't cluttered you could snag the rares and magics and sell them for a transmute if you need it for some reason (e.g. desperate for weapon upgrade)

Can confirm that this works and that the level for sapphires is 9. Good for any class which can get flicker/leap from Brutus.

"
3) avoid taking close cuts around corners and columns. I honestly think there is a problem specifically with brutus, the desync when column-dodging is so bad.

Has to do with the hook, but it's a close corners issue in general. Just don't take the corners so close.

"
5)I forgot about it for a while, but remember to consider the movespeed boots recipe (white boots + quicksilver + orb of augmentation = +10% speed boots OR if you use boots with movespeed already on them, it gives +5% to that speed, within iLevel limits).

Depending on clear speed, etc - may be more useful to transmute and spam the quicksilver when not fighting. Needs more testing. If you have multiple qs then obviously you can do this immediately.

Specifically on party races: this should be common sense, but if it's a party race, split your party as many different ways as realistically possible for acts 2/3 and abuse portals liberally. Ditto long races, send someone back for hailrake and the quicksilvers you get from it. (Short races it's not always worth the trouble.)

The path forks 4 ways at act 2: weaver, sins, alira, kraityn, then group to end the act; an alternative is to split two ways for weaver/sins and then 3 ways for alira/kraityn/ruins. Act 3 is less easy. Clarissa, Piety, sewer opening; then there's a long run to warehouse sewer waypoint, and meanwhile a long run to battlefront/docks/solaris. The latter can be done before even finding Clarissa, so the group which does this should have plenty of portal scrolls as they need to go back frequently. Group to clear barracks, uneven split for Lunaris/Gardens and the Gardens guys should throw a portal at the door and then join the rest of the party.

One other thing: it used to be a Thing to roll duelist, pick up Cleave, and then roll whatever class you were using for the actual race and play it as a cleaver. Worth considering for longer races, for sure.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Last edited by Kirielis on Dec 18, 2013, 6:14:15 AM
"
Twiiik wrote:
Nice thread!

*bookmarked*

Edit:
I've read all the info I can find about races. Including everything in this thread.
Still I can't get the hang of racing :(
I'm too slow and I'm just too underleveled in Act 1. I run as fast as I can. I only try to attack large clusters of monster. Still I'm seldom able to finish Brutus within 20ish minutes and I always reach Prisoners Gate around level 9 with a lot to go to level 10 (where I can use Leap Slam).
Time to Act 2 is still 45ish minutes... Which is BAD.

This is a nice video to see someone play a very good 2H game:
http://www.twitch.tv/helmannn/c/3351271

GGG:
PLEASE add more 1H and 2H solo races! Pretty please!

Reaching Prisoner's gate at around 9 is about right actually. If anything, faster races do it even lower but I can't remember exact timings on notifications (usually too busy to do much more than glance at the notes)

edit: removed an Old opinion. New info in OP is more relevant than old post here.
Last edited by TyrusDark on Feb 2, 2014, 8:20:09 AM
9? I prefer to hit 10 and be able to use the quest reward immediately. I make a point to kill packs for exactly this reason though. Like I won't skip them but neither do I go out of my way to get them unless I'm missing just that last few % to hit 10 at Brutus.

I tend to play a (relatively) safe style, reasoning that making the level mark and not dying is more important than going completely nuts over the top few positions. It doesn't generally stop me from making top 20 on my preferred classes, if I play the full race.

And yes, I do see a difference between killing Brutus at 9 and at 10. 11 is beyond easy and probably means you're behind.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Last edited by Kirielis on Dec 25, 2013, 11:30:23 AM
"
Kirielis wrote:
9? I prefer to hit 10 and be able to use the quest reward immediately. I make a point to kill packs for exactly this reason though. Like I won't skip them but neither do I go out of my way to get them unless I'm missing just that last few % to hit 10 at Brutus.

I tend to play a (relatively) safe style, reasoning that making the level mark and not dying is more important than going completely nuts over the top few positions. It doesn't generally stop me from making top 20 on my preferred classes, if I play the full race.

And yes, I do see a difference between killing Brutus at 9 and at 10. 11 is beyond easy and probably means you're behind.

Yeah I think for the case of classes without a movement skill available from brutus it's not a big deal, but being able to leap slam through the Prisoner's gate is quite useful.
16 points.
guide.
nothing to add.
[ I G N ] Grafflol___ hc talisman
Grafflol___ lvl almost 98.#40 thc[rip from icenova box].atziri slayer[kill count 256]#1 normal atziri slayer[invasion].world first avatar of thunder as melee.[THC] best twin t14/t15 killer[thc] /1554892
my stream http://www.twitch.tv/grafflol ye i got 1m views.
I usually invest the two minutes and start with a templar which gives you Ice Nova, and (with any char) spare flasks and wisdom scrolls which buy you a second coral ring. Also, since at least my luck on the strand varies greatly, it's an additional chance to get some equipment. Character #2 is the one doing the actual race, then. :-)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info