TyrusDark's Basic Racing Guide Version 2 - More content and advice all moved to Page 1

Excellent starting guide. By no means am i expert, but getting 2 in Twilight Strand seems wrong (single target ftl). For classes that need a 2H, just get 2 in Coast (AoE ftw).
Necropolis: 96
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
"
Twiiik wrote:
Nice thread!

This is a nice video to see someone play a very good 2H game:
http://www.twitch.tv/helmannn/c/3351271

Do you (or anyone reading this thread) know why players often have the same skill twice like he does? At least to start with in this video. I also saw him playing a Marauder the other day and he had GS on 2 bindings. It's not accidental, I think!
edit: Changed my opinion to what is now in the OP

this part is still relevant though:

"
Do you (or anyone reading this thread) know why players often have the same skill twice like he does? At least to start with in this video. I also saw him playing a Marauder the other day and he had GS on 2 bindings. It's not accidental, I think!

I often end up with skills double bound simply because it'll autobind, and then i'll put it on the bind I actually want, and not erase the original bind. So it may not be "a thing"

I haven't seen the actual video (internet backbone..) so I can't specifically comment on what he does, but AFAIK there's not a lot of use to having something on double binding unless you panic and hit random keys a lot and want to hit that one more often or something.
Last edited by TyrusDark on Feb 2, 2014, 8:18:53 AM
When I'm adding a new skill, say hypothetically leap slam, I want it to default to something on my left hand. Thus I will ignore the MB3, and sometimes MB2, bound slots but leave them occupied.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Nice post, I would maybe add a note about the weapon recipe though for 2h attacking builds. Magic/rare rustic + blacksmith whetstone + your wep is a huge recipe for a great weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-WBQleQ-gw

This is a video of 100min fixed solo going Ranger Spectral. Got level 31 in it but it wasn't my best, might be helpful for some to see what recipes or questing order etc.. I do the quicksilver quest now right away though.
Content moved to OP
Last edited by TyrusDark on Feb 2, 2014, 8:18:18 AM
Bump for content update.

Please leave a comment if you found the guide useful so others can benefit and enjoy the excitement the racing season can offer!

If you are going to critique my advice, please do so by citing what you disagree with and providing some alternate advice.
thanks for expanding on your guide! i just started doing races for the first time. my first unguided race i landed 195th. after reading this guide (old revision, before edit) i placed 99th. i just checked out your new content on the guide, so i'm excited to see what i place today. thanks a ton!
Last edited by MYTHICAL89 on Feb 2, 2014, 1:49:07 PM
I'm a bit curious about the lack of Ice Nova being mentioned. I'd assumed that was likely the best skill witch had available to them in a race.

I usually hit the waypoint in lower sunken just to head bakc to town and grab ice nova, because it is of tremendous help in ledge.
You HAVE to do Tidal, as a Witch I usually pick up Lower WP and kill the guy with Spark. Quick Silver Flask is critical item to even do good, two of them - gg.

Witch is very good character for racing, if you're aware of what and how desync is caused. You might not see very much Witches doing well after first top5 or so, but I'd argue that's just people not giving a good shot for her.
Also playing Witch guarantees top5-10 bonus reward points, and with Ice Nova high damage/area you'll be doing good with leveling.

I'd say I'm above mediocre, below good, yet I still place very good with her, but when stars align -

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAuMHpRdUIoEsnC0fPV9Eq0myUlNVrm0ZghCOPI-m37A=
This is what base tree pretty much looks, from there I'd suggest going to right for cast speed nodes and then picking up life.

And Witch doesn't require good roll weapon, as she can just use vendor recipe to get +1 gem levels, and with that - the damage is pretty solid.

Flameblast + Fire trap are two very useful skills.
Last edited by Janisexile on Feb 3, 2014, 5:24:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info