The Map drop system... How it should work... Vs how it does now

So the current map drop system is random. Depending on how the rng feels is if you're going to get 0 maps... or 4+ in a single map. Today me and a few buddies ran through 30 maps. In those 30 maps 8 dropped.

So today I have been unlucky, but the thing i question most, is how can a 64 boss drop a 60 map... and yet at other times a white monster in a 60 instance can drop a 62-63... is the rng that random? It can allow these things to happen?

Would love to get a reworking that would guarantee a map to drop, and it would have to be in the + or - 2 range. At the higher map levels your chances of getting a map of = or higher level would be lower say at the range of

8/20=-2
6/20=-1
3/20=0
2/20=+1
1/20=+2

that way inflation of high maps wouldn't be a problem...

Any ideas on this?

Edit: I keep thinking if I ever got a 68+ map that if it dropped a 60 from the boss I would perma rage quit the game...also seems that lower maps spawn more maps... whhhhhhyyyyy
IGN Discharge_me
Last edited by Mammii on Dec 28, 2012, 1:34:51 AM
I agree with this man.
^this.
Map drops being random is fine.

Maps being the only endgame, not so much.
IGN: KoTao
"
KoTao wrote:

Agreed

The only way I would approve of my floors is if it wad based off of map IIQ. Which is broken in my eyes anyways. - resists and + % monster elemental damage should give more than 1+1 to IIQ.
"
KoTao wrote:

+1
No to guaranteed map drops. Same with guaranteed rare after boss kill or any other type of guaranteed loot. And if you ran over 30 maps and got only 8 out of it then you're not investing enough currency on lvl 63+ maps to get to higher maps and you're also running shit mods. I can run 30 maps solo and probably end with a net gain at the end of it.
IGN: Yeph
Last edited by cGramma on Dec 28, 2012, 6:19:00 AM
"
cGramma wrote:
No to guaranteed map drops. Same with guaranteed rare after boss kill or any other type of guaranteed loot. And if you ran over 30 maps and got only 8 out of it then you're not investing enough currency on lvl 63+ maps to get to higher maps and you're also running shit mods. I can run 30 maps solo and probably end with a net gain at the end of it.

Yes to the first part, no to the 2nd. Getting sick of people saying that others are rolling it wrong. Maps are still left up to luck so sometimes you roll them right but get unlucky. I know what affixes to look for and I can show you some impressive cold streaks. All which seem to happen at the most important times (like holding 11th place with 3 days left in a 1 month race as a random example).
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Moosifer wrote:
"
cGramma wrote:

Yes to the first part, no to the 2nd. Getting sick of people saying that others are rolling it wrong. Maps are still left up to luck so sometimes you roll them right but get unlucky. I know what affixes to look for and I can show you some impressive cold streaks. All which seem to happen at the most important times (like holding 11th place with 3 days left in a 1 month race as a random example).

Yes, I'm well aware of streaks of bad luck but you if you run 30 maps and only get 8 out of it that's not bad luck anymore. I never, ever ran that amount of maps and ended up with so little drops in return. You can run 3-4 maps with good mods and get extremely unlucky but then you'll hit a map that drops like 4 at once. This happens so often, there is no way you can run 30+ maps and get that little out of it without a mistake on your part.
IGN: Yeph
Last edited by cGramma on Dec 28, 2012, 7:20:41 AM
"
8/20=-2
6/20=-1
3/20=0
2/20=+1
1/20=+2

I agree with a drop rate system like this, but disagree with guaranteed drops. Instead adjust the overall chance of a map dropping so they drop more frequently, reducing the chance that a player leaves empty handed. But then re-balance the rates on +1 and +2 level maps so that upward progression happens at the desired rate. Also make the level range dependent on the monster level so that it's possible to get a +4 map from a yellow mob (of course with a very low chance).

The other important thing here is the floor of -1. It means that even though you'll move up and down in map levels depending on luck, that movement will be much smoother in the down direction.
Last edited by Kung on Dec 28, 2012, 7:40:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info