The Map drop system... How it should work... Vs how it does now

"
cGramma wrote:
"
Moosifer wrote:
"
cGramma wrote:
No to guaranteed map drops. Same with guaranteed rare after boss kill or any other type of guaranteed loot. And if you ran over 30 maps and got only 8 out of it then you're not investing enough currency on lvl 63+ maps to get to higher maps and you're also running shit mods. I can run 30 maps solo and probably end with a net gain at the end of it.

Yes to the first part, no to the 2nd. Getting sick of people saying that others are rolling it wrong. Maps are still left up to luck so sometimes you roll them right but get unlucky. I know what affixes to look for and I can show you some impressive cold streaks. All which seem to happen at the most important times (like holding 11th place with 3 days left in a 1 month race as a random example).

Yes, I'm well aware of streaks of bad luck but you if you run 30 maps and only get 8 out of it that's not bad luck anymore. I never, ever ran that amount of maps and ended up with so little drops in return. You can run 3-4 maps with good mods and get extremely unlucky but then you'll hit a map that drops like 4 at once. This happens so often, there is no way you can run 30+ maps and get that little out of it without a mistake on your part.

Oh, you haven't experienced something, I guess that means it doesn't exist.

I agree with OP, end game content should not be so randomly available.
Quite the opposite actually. I've experienced a ton of bad/good streaks when running maps and I've also simply run a lot of maps over the past few months, inside and outside of races. Getting 8 maps out of 30 is a very, very low value and I can confidently say that you'd have to run some pretty terrible maps to achieve that kind of "bad luck".
IGN: Yeph
If that happens often, there's something wrong. I ran almost 200 maps white and I had a few streaks where nothing dropped, think the longest was 10 without a single drop.

I should probably qualify my previous statement as I consider 60/61/62 drops at lvl 81 to be just as good as no drop at all. Takes like 10 of them to get 1%.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
I'd still consider them as a drop as you can always trade them in for a higher level one but yeah, generally I agree, once you're well in your 70s 60-62 maps don't really matter.
IGN: Yeph
The idea that your very access to the endgame is based on RNG is wrong in my view.
Either add a different endgame, As some suggested, Or have SOME kind of way to get higher level maps if that's the only endgame for now. On both my chars, I never dropped a single map higher than 64. As said, when you out level them so quickly, relatively, That's just more than a little annoying.
Playing a dual-wielding swordsman of some kind.
In game name is Kaosu and/or ChaosBlade.
Could GGG adjust map XP rates? Flatten the experience curve so that there is no difference in leveling from a 60 or 69 map? 60/61/62 maps are plentiful and therefore the RNG would not inhibit grinding levels. Players would still inevitably play easiest low level maps with the best mob XP, but they did this ledge farming in MOC, and do it for maps as it as well. This would leave the high level maps function as itemization farming. Take the risk to get better gear from higher level maps to farm xp faster. Eventually over-leveling content will happen anyway at some point. This gives a definite cut-off, without withholding access to experience, which sucks in races, due to the RNG possibly not dropping maps. Would this work to appease players?

Basis for the above proposition:
Spoiler

So at what point do people become happy? If max non-map content = max map level content few people will bother to run maps under max as it takes effort/rng luck to get that 69 map. Suppose MOC (im using this as an alternative endgame example) is added back, what level should it be? If 60, nothing changes:

"
Moosifer wrote:
If that happens often, there's something wrong. I ran almost 200 maps white and I had a few streaks where nothing dropped, think the longest was 10 without a single drop.

I should probably qualify my previous statement as I consider 60/61/62 drops at lvl 81 to be just as good as no drop at all. Takes like 10 of them to get 1%.

If its 64/65, all maps under that level only serve the purpose of bridging to MOC for consistent leveling. Eventually people level to the point that only MOC level + maps serve a purpose and we are back to the same point where we are now, just 65ish instead of 60, and only high level maps are worth anything, for xp/otherwise, but we still have issues of being "locked out" of content due to RNG.

If MOC is same as max map content level then its the same as above, maps only serve as a bridge. I doubt this is what GGG wants. The fundamental problem is trying to reconcile over-leveling content. No matter what, at some point, content will be over-leveled. Allowing easy access to level 69 maps undermines everything below that point. Roll weak mods/easy bosses and grind up the chain to max level content and then just grind easy content to level.

How do you fix maps without completely undermining their existence? Rather, how do you alter the perception of what max level content is? Posts like Moose/Kotoa show that eventually players are going to want guaranteed/easy access to max level content to happily grind away at xp knowing they are getting as much exp at a time as possible.
I am kind of confused why everyone here is so against RNG? Part of the fun in games is getting "lucky". I understand the frustration with lack of XP from lower level maps. How about they just make higher level maps a possibility as well rather than increasing the drop rate? That way you still have to get "lucky" but you get more XP when you do etc. etc. etc.
"
KoTao wrote:
Map drops being random is fine.

Maps being the only endgame, not so much.

+1

Fighting for more variety since... months
If maps are so hard to get then how are people selling 15+ white 60 maps for an alch each? They are so easy to buy why complain?
Standard Forever
I like the map drops being totally random, and I hope it doesn't change.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info