A Beginner's Guide to Racing

The art of all the rewards are awesome, as usual. The problem is that most of those are rings (wtf 5 rings?), just 3 items have any use for skin transfers and some rewards are a bit low.

1. I have nightmares with Coral Rings uniques dropping, really, don't know how much of them I dropped on Anarchy. I know that you need to fill that "1st-reward-easy-to-obtain" spot, so I won't say more.
2. Storm Cloud is a nice unique for its level(I'll aim for it for sure).
3. Its, at least, the second time I see Fairgrave's hat as a season reward. The art is great for skin transfers, yeah, and it have its uses, but is pretty common and a bit repetitive.
4. Nice to see those white ilvl 100 rings to craft.
5. Since it don't drop on any league anymore, its great to see it as a race reward. Would prefer that Shavronne's Revelation anyway.
6. Not bad, but I think I wouldnt go so far (135 points) just for that flask.
7. That ring, as long as I understand it well (if its damage bonus is multiplicative) its insane! Worth it.
8. As Fairgrave's one, I think is at least the 2nd time I see this. Maybe Therminus Est or Rigvald's Charge would be better, but even for those, the DPS is TOO low compared to any common (and cheap) 2H rare sword. Anyway, I'm in love with that art.
9. Its a nice ring... if it was a 80-135 reward. 600? Hell no.
10. Auxium is a nice example of a top-tier reward. 1000 points its a bit high for me, won't get it, but its a good choice.

* I was wrong, I checked it and those items weren't offered on previous seasons,

As a second note, I have to say that those starting times are very, very bad for me. Most of them I'm sleeping or at work, some of them are at my dinner time, other at the time I go bed, ... I'll be able to play less than 10 races (GMT +1). I know that if its not me, other people will be in the same spot with different schedule as it happened on previous races, but there should be a better solution, as it has been propossed, like some of them having a dynamic start time.
♠RaGoN♦
Last edited by RaGoNXIII on Nov 14, 2013, 3:53:20 AM
Why though, are there races on Christmas day. This should be a day off for the season, most people ren't realistically going to race when they are spending with family or friends.
Return to this flameless sunder
Where exiles burn and the joyless wander;
Frozen lore beneath chaotic thunder,
Dominus returns to send us under.
"
lelarentaka7 wrote:
tl;dr,

Not for casuals, only a handful hardcore players will get the rewards.

"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
What Chris failed to mention is that there are career no-lifer racers here who simply only play the first act in HC to:

Practice, practice, practice.

They end up winning so consistently QQs from the noobs emerge:

"Why no race league for the noobs? We work and donate to GGG $$$. Think about us too!" QQ QQ.

Then cue counter QQ comparisons to professional athletes and race car drivers and how they also practice, practice, practice, and so deserve the rewards.

So remember:

Practice, practice, practice!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
OMG this is a long guide for saying
Dont race because:
-reward suck
- a select group of 20 people always win everything
-schedule is broken
-Desync
-You actully lose allot of farming incomes since they dont want to give us currency rewards back
-Race performances is biased by RNG

Don't be an ass. Some people like racing even if you think it's a waste of time.

With stress on "some" because it seems, although GGG put races into our throats every time they can, in races is interested tiny minority of playerbase.

Why I estimate so?

My result from last season: "Season Rank: 2760th"

No impressive but... I just raced for 15 points because I liked to have Heatshiver unique art. So I just take 3-4 races, set a goal to take 5 points from each (and finished before end when I was sure I got those) etc.

But still, I was in first 3K of racers.

If we assume, that PoE playerbase is about 50K (Chris mentioned similar number in one of recent announcements) it means, that only 5% of playerbase was better than me in Season 4.

Considering, that I was doing everything but serious racing, I would bet, that population of "serious racers" is what, maybe 1% of playerbase, maybe 2%?

(Not) sad to say, that races idea just don't appeal to majority of playerbase, whatever Chris is thinking or doing.

Anticipation slowly dissipates...
Chris, your post here is excellent, it is clear you want more people to race, that's fine. I don't race much, that's also fine. I will participate but that's not the core to my POE preference. Please don't force people to feel that they have to start racing, there are many other components of this game that's must get the same kind of attention.
"
JoanGrimm wrote:

+2
IGN: Glassia
IGN Kinnat (S) / Sihaam (S) / Aedhammair (S) / Ranulfr (S)
☄ 1.0.0 The Butchery of Mages Patch
"
tmaciak wrote:

If we assume, that PoE playerbase is about 50K (Chris mentioned similar number in one of recent announcements) it means, that only 5% of playerbase was better than me in Season 4.

There are more than a million monthly active accounts at the moment. ~300k or so daily active accounts. The 50k figure was users online (during peak weekday times). Some of the users aren't online all the time, you see!

Edit: The playerbase was a lot smaller during Season 4!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Nov 14, 2013, 4:34:56 AM
"
entropus wrote:

Yup, I can then seriously consider racing, can't do this in normal daytime.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info