To anyone dealing with depression

"
AlphaMetric wrote:
I think my older bro does regret what he did to me, or at least my oldest bro always try to explain to me.., but me emotionally I'm just not ready to forgive him, or at least for now, I ignore his FB messages, I try to speak to him as little as i can when i do see him... it's just complicated... just a thought, how much do you think it cost to have a good therapist/psychologist?

I would actually consider people who are under qualified rather than over qualified for basic support and someone to just talk to. I spent years seeing several different highly qualified psychologists and it was not until I realised they were all clinical psychologists what the problem was, their job is simply to diagnose people and put in place treatments to get you functioning back to 'normal'. Mentally at different times I was quite sound and happy with the state of my life but just wanted someone to talk to about the difficulties with my health and possible answers into some limitations I had but they always managed to turn something into a diagnosis. Psychoanalysis was what I was really looking for, I wanted a real indepth base to work on, looking for real insights but these professionals are few and far between and it is like $200+ an hour.

You can always just shop around, see what is available and ring them explaining what you are looking for.

At the end of the day though it is also important you yourself want to be looking at yourself and are motivated for change. Personally what has saved me over the years is a ridiculous thirst for understanding and incredible desire to force/bring about change.

I just watched a lovely documentary on the seven wonders of the Buddhist world, was a great reminder of using basic meditative techniques to help come to terms with all the things that cause us suffering, false needs, desires, fear and hate. The part that starts at about 1:02:30 relating to Zen Buddhism in California is good, shows Buddhism does not have to do with any kind of belief or worship, just about using practical means to bring about awareness and growth. Been meaning to take that up myself for a while now actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU0wgMDTUAU

Honestly, when it comes down to it, the truth is we are only as happy as we choose to be.

Yes situations can help influence our mood, but our perception of happiness ultimately causes us to decide how happy we are.

And knowing this it's often hard for me to find happiness when depressing thoughts come knocking but eventually I snap out of it and realize it's not all about me.

A lot of my happiness which is few and far between most days comes from my faith and divine encouragement, and some people may find it hard to see why someone like myself who believes they are going to heaven could even get depressed at all, but I've discovered life has only become more difficult to do what's right once you are chosen by God. I've discovered many new enemies and new friends as well, but the number of enemies is definitely greater on this planet. I've also discovered satan is real and have encountered demons that have threatened me.

I would like to note my faith didn't begin until I was 19 years old when God began communicating with me. I'm 23 now. Also note I was going to kill myself before God changed me.

I hope no one wants to debate, because I'm honestly just sharing my experience and I wish you all well. I've also been reading the other posts here and am enjoying the conversations.
@ Zerohate, yes Freudian style psychoanalytic or psychodynamic psychotherapy is priceeeeey
Yes, this the stereotypical sitting behind the couch psych talk.

Or talk to a good trusted friend who knows you.

Or travel. A time out can do wonders!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:
@ Zerohate, yes Freudian style psychoanalytic or psychodynamic psychotherapy is priceeeeey
Yes, this the stereotypical sitting behind the couch psych talk.

Or talk to a good trusted friend who knows you.

Or travel. A time out can do wonders!

Jung>Freud

I would almost pay the steep price for a qualified analytical psychologist but no way there is any around here. Freud is a little too rigid for me and I do not buy everything coming back to sex while Jung scratches the surface a little more IMO, shows some intuition and spirituality.

"
arpgfan wrote:

I hope no one wants to debate, because I'm honestly just sharing my experience and I wish you all well. I've also been reading the other posts here and am enjoying the conversations.

Everyone has their outing, or their way of coping with things and as long as it satisfies you and you find happiness then it's not a debatable subject. I'm not a believer myself, but I pay respect for those that are able to find happiness through whatever means necessary.
"
Elynole wrote:
"
arpgfan wrote:

Everyone has their outing, or their way of coping with things and as long as it satisfies you and you find happiness then it's not a debatable subject. I'm not a believer myself, but I pay respect for those that are able to find happiness through whatever means necessary.

I guess I am always worried mentioning the name of God will cause people to automatically hate me as it has many times before. Especially when what I say doesn't line up with their idea of God. I honestly know that divine joy is the only permanent joy there is but I hate to tell people they are wrong or even to have them think that I think they are wrong. It's not really a matter of right and wrong as much as it's a matter of knowing the Truth.

In any event, a lack of sorrow and negative emotions is always favorable. For me personally I usually lack the positive emotions and find it hard to feel joy, but that is mostly because there are negative consequences for negative actions. I definitely don't live up to the way I wanna live. Which in itself is a matter of opinion and leads me back to my other point that happiness is a state of mind in any event.
"
arpgfan wrote:

I guess I am always worried mentioning the name of God will cause people to automatically hate me as it has many times before. Especially when what I say doesn't line up with their idea of God. I honestly know that divine joy is the only permanent joy there is but I hate to tell people they are wrong or even to have them think that I think they are wrong. It's not really a matter of right and wrong as much as it's a matter of knowing the Truth.

I take a different approach to looking at this, and I'm really glad my thoughts allow me to do such. I do not look at religious preferences as right/wrong, but merely a matter of opinion. Much like I'm an atheist and you have your polytheistic/monotheistic religion, I see it no differently than me liking Coke and you maybe liking Pepsi. It's a matter of preference and as long as it satisfies you then I have no basis to judge on, nor does the opposite party.

"
In any event, a lack of sorrow and negative emotions is always favorable. For me personally I usually lack the positive emotions and find it hard to feel joy, but that is mostly because there are negative consequences for negative actions. I definitely don't live up to the way I wanna live. Which in itself is a matter of opinion and leads me back to my other point that happiness is a state of mind in any event.

Reading back through your posts, and this is merely an observation, you seem to be able to express your feelings quite thoroughly through words.

A large stress reliever for me is writing. I'm not particularly good at it, but I've been keeping a daily journal since I was 14, when my psychology teacher introduced me to doing so. I take probably 30 minutes each day to just sit down and write my daily events, and I also try to include at least 1 world event and a short passage about something I've learned that day. I don't let anyone read them, and about 2 years ago the journals that I did have I decided to put in a safety deposit box. This helps me A LOT. I'm able to express any feelings or negativity I have towards the pen and paper and not at myself or anyone else. It allows me to talk and discuss things with myself that I otherwise wouldn't of come back to thinking about.

I left home when I was 15, my mother has multiple personality disorder and was nearly unbearable to live with at the time, joined the military when I was 17, Iraq at 20, child at 22, Another child soon to be. I sometimes go and withdrawal certain periods of my journals to go back through and read them. It's amazing how much has changed, how much my views have changed. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. But the conclusion I draw from it all is that I'm still here, after all that I'm still here.

It's just a suggestion, but you should definitely try writing in a journal, it's one thing I've never regretted.
Actually I do write poetry and song lyrics often.

In fact I just wrote a poem 5 minutes ago expressing how I feel about recent rejections from dates or attempts to find a date:

He was shy, from all the rejections,
She was unaware, of all his emotions,
Every day, he watched her walk by,
And every night was another time to cry,
He thought "one more try, I'll give it",
He said "One more try, before I quit",
So the next day he said hi and she said hey,
And he asked her out, in this empty subway,
She said no not even looking him in his eye,
And he jumped onto the tracks as the train went by.

I wish there was a way to make money from poetry lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info