To anyone dealing with depression

I just want you to know there's someone out there willing to go out of their way to show you love. Years ago I wanted to die more than anything, but luckily someone reached me before it was too late. It turned my life around.

Don't give up, keep searching, love will find you. Even if everyone you currently know never seems to care, I can promise that a stranger somewhere would be more than happy to be the parent you never had or the best friend you've always wanted.

Can't explain why I felt the need to post this but I feel like someone will read it and start down a better train of thought.

Either way the least I accomplish is continuing to prove this is a better community than D3 :P
This is a large and often unseen or talked about problem in society. Even as I write this I feel like I shouldn't be. Many of my immediate family have suffered from depression so I know how it can effect a person or group of people.

The most important thing anyone can do is reach out and start talking about how they feel. If it is to a friend, colleague or random person it does not really matter. Letting the built up emotions out is cleansing for your mental well being.

I find if I ever feel down or upset going to the gym or for a run gives me time to put things back in order. It also releases a tonne of endorphins.
RIP Bolto
Clinical depression is both real and dangerous. Been there done that.

It DOES help to talk especially if you speak with someone with open ears and a closed mouth. Sometimes family aren't the best option but there are others.

For me part of the way back was writing. Not my previous job-related work which consisted mostly of teaching texts but creative writing.

Those in Queensland, Australia may contact 'Beyond Blue' an initiative to provide counselling and assistance.

Look after yourself friend!
Here in Queensland, there is reasonable support for treating depression, despite all these funding cuts going on, we're getting a little overwhelmed here in the public sector, along with an amphetamine and synthetic weed epidemic. Alot of idiots people complaining of bugs in their skin recently. Stupid Sterosonic.

Yes, call beyond blue, there's also The Black Dog institute which is also reliable. If you're young, there's also Headspace, for men, there's Men's Shed and MISA for more support and counselling.

Take your medication if appropriate, ask your GP for a referral for counselling or to see a psychologist, you can get up to 12 medicare bulk billed funded sessions (there may be a gap payment).
Ask to see a private psychiatrist for deeper psychoanalytical psychotherapy if you have deeper darker unresolved issues that needs to be dealt with and if you have private health cover. You can't get such sessions in the public system.

Most importantly, lay off the alcohol. A known depressant. Stimulants may also cause a down phase post consumption, lay off those too.

Self harming? Suicidal thoughts? Really really end of the line? Feeling unsafe? Call an ambulance, or your local Acute Care Team. There's 1800 or local telephone numbers on the Queensland Health website.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
I know far too much about depression, thanks. I was going to a school ten hours away from home with my sister, but she had to go home the same day because "there were too many people there". She was later diagnosed with manic depression, and even now, almost twenty years later, she still has troubles from time to time. Mom once found her crying in the laundry room. Turned out she (my sister) had a breakdown for no apparent reason. Sucks, but what can you do? At least she's happily married and have a nice daugher, so she's doing fine.

Another friend couldn't even leave the house for a while after she got fired. There are far more to the story than just "got fired", but let's leave it at that. In both cases, I've helped out as best I can, and they have both thanked me a lot over the years because of it.

A third friend is in her teens, and while she doesn't suffer from depression, she does go through all the teenage drama lke the rest of us. She too has thanked me on several occasion and calls me her life coach. Whenever she has a problem or are wondering about something too embarrasing to talk about, I'm the one she talks to. I'm kinda proud of that. :)

The thing with depression is it's very easy to put on a stupid smile and go thorugh the day like everyhting's fine, even if you are crying inside. The problem with that is the problems are never going to go away by themselves if you wish hard enough. You need to talk to someone, be it a friend, family, councelor or whatever. Talking often helps a lot more than people realize. If you know someone who suffers from depression, the best thing to do isn't always to give them space, but to always let them know you uare there for them and try to help them in subtle ways. Don't force them to listen to you, but don't let them sink into their own little world either. Many people who suffers from depression really wants help, but are too afraid or too embarassed to ask. Your job is to let them know you are there for them and help them through it.
"And that's how you die properly, sailor boy."
(The Witch)
Last edited by ExileDude on Dec 13, 2012, 8:41:44 AM
"
ExileDude wrote:

The thing with depression is it's very easy to put on a stupid smile and go thorugh the day like everyhting's fine, even if you are crying inside. The problem with that is the problems are never going to go away by themselves if you wish hard enough. You need to talk to someone, be it a friend, family, councelor or whatever. Talking often helps a lot more than people realize. If you know someone who suffers from depression, the best thing to do isn't always to give them space, but to always let them know you uare there for them and try to help them in subtle ways. Don't force them to listen to you, but don't let them sink into their own little world either. Many people who suffers from depression really wants help, but are too afraid or too embarassed to ask. Your job is to let them know you are there for them and help them through it.

This is VERY true! Many, particularly men, 'tough it out' because they're either afraid they have a 'mental problem' or because 'real men don't act like that/get like that/cry for help'. Vulnerability is anathema to the male of the species.

There is always someone who cares. This is why there are responses on this thread.

I has really painfull depressions in my life to much death not much life, but I realize something, no matter if ANYBODY cares about you (Of course there is always there, but, maybe this somebody isn't there anymore, the history of my life), you only have to care about you, be your own friend, love yourself and be proud of your own acomplishments, and day a day keep growing up and progressing and again feeling proud of yourself. This is the only way to never get betrayed, if you understand that, if you fail to yourself you always can find forgiveness to yourself. That kills a lot of bad feelings like, deception or loneliness, because if you keep being proud of yourself and progressing day to day you dont depend of other factors, others failing if you fail for yourown put a and on your knee and stand up from the grown and jump to tomorrow.

I mean, dont misunderstand me, love someone and letting someone to you love is still as good as always I just say a way to endure bad times and put yourself together.

I hope to help someone like I help myself in bad moments with my words and my... mmm pseudowisdom? :P

Bye bye Regards!!!
Indestructible, determination that is incorruptible
From the other side, a terror to behold
Annihilation will be unavoidable, every broken enemy will know
That their opponent had to be invincible, take a last look around while you're alive
I'm an indestructible master of war
"
Eggy wrote:

This is VERY true! Many, particularly men, 'tough it out' because they're either afraid they have a 'mental problem' or because 'real men don't act like that/get like that/cry for help'. Vulnerability is anathema to the male of the species.

There is always someone who cares. This is why there are responses on this thread.

I witnessed this way too much in the military to know that men in particular have this problem far too often.

I had a very good friend when I was in the Army. We went to elementary school together, junior high, high school - we joined the military together. We both had the same job in the military and did our MOS training together, went to the same unit, and eventually got shipped to Iraq together.

We both made it back safely, in the months to follow on the weekends I would go over to his parents house and shoot clay pigeon with him and some of my other military friends and grab a few beers.

About 5 months after we were back; I got a call one weekday morning stating that this friend had put on his Class-A uniform, walked out onto the balcony of his dorm room, fired a few shots into the air to make people come out of their dorms to see what was going on, and shot himself through the temple.

He was a very happy go lucky guy, spur of the moment, nothing ever seemed to bother him or didn't show it at least. I still struggle with knowing that I was probably one of the last people to talk to him, over the phone, and I didn't see that he was depressed in any way. He didn't get help, he didn't ask me for help - and to this day it really pisses me off. I hate that men do this, it doesn't make sense.

/sigh
Last edited by Elynole on Dec 13, 2012, 2:48:35 PM
Thanks for posting this, as someone who suffers from bouts of depression fairly frequently it is extremely hard to talk about and mostly just pushed to the side. I game a good bit to deal with it and am coming off a rather long stretch where the last few months i barely gamed at all because the interest in doing anything at all just wasn't there. We narrowed that down to a change in my pain medicines so after we got that fixed i am slowly returning to normal. The effects of having a chronic pain disorder cannot even begin to be described, add no health insurance into the mix and it adds up to almost constant depression issues.

Hopefully even somewhere as silly as a gaming forum will give someone the braveness to talk. I know the holidays bring forth an increased amount of suicides/depression and as someone who considers this almost weekly and chooses to ignore it and continue with life - if you need someone to talk to who won't tell you that you are crazy feel free to PM me on the forums or in game if you need to vent. I may not know the right thing to say but i can be there for you and listen.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

"
Eggy wrote:

Very true. There is a reason why men make up between 75% sand 80% of suicides of most Western countries.

At this time of year, depression is on the rise particularly in the Northern Hemisphere (lack of sun, thus lack of vitamin D, is in part to blame). Another thing is of course Christmas - where everyone is supposed to be happy and together with loved ones. And more and more people are neither.

And I can just reiterate what has already been said multiple times: Do not build a wall around you, shut others out and assume no-one cares. There is always someone who does care, more than you can know.
But if you act as if everything was fine, they cannot help you. They cannot see into your soul, particularly if you hide your true feelings.
You don't have to come right out with everything that bothers you. But be honest when someone asks you "How are you?". Don't lie by saying "Fine".
It can be a huge effort to be honest and say "I feel like everything is too much. I don't even know why I bother leaving the bed in the mornings."

But it'll pay off.

In closing, I would like to share this video, because Elynole reminded me of the fact that our societies often treat the very people defending them nothing like they deserve.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Dec 13, 2012, 3:27:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info