To anyone dealing with depression

That's the easy and selfish way out, Jamesl. You only leave pieces for those left behind to pick up and potentially create ripple effects in those closest to the one who completed suicide.

I'm not averse to complementary medicine. I feel antidepressants should be prescribed in the upper moderate to severe forms of depression, including the anxiety, due to side effects, incl the (?) risk of increasing suicidal thoughts in the initial phase, etc.

For mild depression, adjustment disorders, acute stress reactions and situational crises, quite often talking to someone, friends, social support, therapy, including CBT can be enough.

Try to avoid using Benzodiazepenes to manage with anxiety. Particularly xanax. Nasty stuff that xanax.

There's also procedures of last resort:
http://www.ted.com/talks/sherwin_nuland_on_electroshock_therapy.html

or Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, or (this is freaky): Deep Brain Stimulation!!!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
jamesl wrote:
kill yourself and your problems with depression will be over

Your problems will be over - if you survive, at least. I don't know if you are aware of it, but killing yourself is a lot harder than it seems. I dare say at least 90% of every person who ever tries to commit suicide doesn't do it to kill himself or herself. The main reason why people do it is as a cry for help. The problem is when we get a problem, and especially one we find embarrasing, we try to solve it ourselves to avoid looking bad, to avoid dragging others into our mess and so on. It can be so simple as we want to spare the ones we love from our pain, so they don't have to worry about us.

But sometimes, the problems we face are too much for us, so we end up trying even harder to solve it on our own. But that again means we only dig ourselves even deeper into the problems, making it even harder to get out. By the time we realize we can't get out on our own, it's too late. If it was bad to begin with, now it's devastating. We no longer risk having our loved ones worry about our problems. We risk buring them in it with us.

Even so, we do know we need help, but we have no one to turn to anymore. We are getting really desperte for attention and really want someone... anyone... to notice us and ask us if we need help, but no one ever does. So in the end, we do the only thing we can do. We go all the way and risk our own lives to get help. But even if we step over the edge, most people still cling to the last straw keeping us up. This last straw will finally force someone to notice us, and we can finally get the help we need. Except sometimes, the straw breaks. If this happens, your troubles are finally over, but you have ended up creating new ones for the people you loved. They will not only have lost a person they loved, but they will also know they failed to save you, and let you down when you needed it the most. A pain like that is something many people never recovers from. So ask yourself this: Is killing yourself really worth it?
"And that's how you die properly, sailor boy."
(The Witch)
Last edited by ExileDude on Dec 17, 2012, 8:44:15 AM
"
THEHORNEDRAT wrote:

Try to avoid using Benzodiazepenes to manage with anxiety. Particularly xanax. Nasty stuff that xanax.

Yes most people have no clue how dangerous benzo's can be, they can in the end make symptoms worse or withdrawal a nightmare if use becomes habitual. I have read many of the worst cases were people have to taper off the drug over a 6 month period and their functioning/mood does not resemble anything normal for 12-24 months after the taper.

I have found benzo's helpful at times but my experience on them was they always seem to make you partially not quite there in the moment, like your breezing over everything but not experiencing it properly, which at the end of the day was not a good way to function; this is a common experience for people on them I think. Pot for me is 100 times better in this area, better functioning, less sides but has its own problems, unless you can consistently access the right strain/type for your needs, which most can not.
i think this is a good thread. not only do games tend to attract people with mental illness but also such a dark game might compound this issue. im not saying the game causes mental illness i can just understand people taking refuge. (i have not played the game yet but i HAVE seen some aspects of the storyline)

i am diagnosed with skitzoeffective disorder. i meet a lot of people with asbergers and such playing diablo 2 and other games. these people need better support. i do not believe many of the accepted stereotypes about these people.

the newest topic in america after the school shooting has been the topic of mental illness vs gun control. some people say keep their guns and shoot them all. noone seems to understand how bad mental illness has become in todays world. 99% of mental illness is undiagnosed.

people should not loose their ability to defend themselves due to mental illness. also people should not keep their guns and wish to simply shoot all the criminals. these violent crimes are being committed by younger and younger people and thus the blame is more and more going on us older people who did not directly commit the crime.

i know i am not simply talking about depression, but a lot of times it is much deeper and i have already lost people i have met in online video games to one thing or another. we all must be stronger and show people more love!!!

lets start a notoriously loving online community guys!!
IGN- Isiander
Very big problem in the gaming community this is.

Considering most play games as a form of escapism or distraction from there lives.

Its fair to say that this is probably

A) A good thing to disscuss.

B) Not a good place to get help.

Really this all comes down to addiction here and I personaly dont like to speculate on such a controvertial topic.

Other than to say its a serious problem and I have experianced it first hand.

Goodluck to anyone willing to really comment on this topic.

Peace.
www.tachi203.com : For live streams, gameplay, news of me +(.

It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence. - Mohandas Gandhi
Last edited by tachi203 on Dec 17, 2012, 11:09:17 PM
hey guys I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss this, I haven't read that much of this thread cause there so much to read.. I might get to it when I get more time...

anyways, I had a hard childhood, at the age of six I started getting choked by my older bro, second oldest... that went on, almost on a regular basis for more then 10 years, almost 15, my parents were gone a lot to the bar, my mom also worked there often, and my older bro was super manipulative, controlling, ignorant, he had anger issues i guess,.. I was scared of him, to the point I didn't tell my parents shit for the longest time, or when I did they didn't believe me or didn't do much... he'd choke me, push me around, call me names like tell me I'm retarded, that I'm stupid, etc etc... also when I was growing up I had a speech impediment due to my dyspraxia, and other things that comes with dyspraxia... here a list of symptoms but I suffer maybe with 50% of the symptoms on there, maybe more.... I was diagnose with it when I was a kid, never quite knew about it till like high school...

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/services/ad_symptoms.php

little school and high school were bad times for me also, I got bullied almost on a regular basis in little school and high school and didn't really know how to quite defend myself against bullies... a lot of shit I go through on a daily basis consist in trying to control my emotions, like often being sad or depressed about shit that happened in the past, I despise my older bro but I can't quite get him out of the picture cause whenever I go see my family, I have no choice to see him often and it just feels like shit.. I'm not 100% percent how to cope with this pain but I just try to block it out however I can, avoid my brother as much as I can, maybe play some video games, listen to songs that makes me feel better...

right now I'm 23 and it's kinda hard to cope with stuff, what's your thoughts on things that happens like this to people, cause I'm sure I'm not the only one who went through things like this...
all i can say is there are people like your brother out there. i feel for you and i understand how it feels to not be able to exact revenge and you feel trampled over. you are young and i think the rewards of dealing in a peaceful manner as well as learning to rise above it will begin to hit you shortly. if he leaves you alone now just let it go try to understand him as a person maybe as you get older you can help him with his anger issues.

you will be made stronger by this just try to find ways to be happy i almost want to say ignore it and just try to stay away from it as much as possible and when you are made to face it stand your ground there is nothing in this life to fear.
IGN- Isiander
Hi Alpha, sorry to hear about your shitty brother. I remember an old friend of mine had a brother like that, he and his friend would have him in constant fear and abuse him in different ways, I remember once going around to his house after school finding him tied down to a chair from ankles to neck; pretty messed up.

Teenagers do this shit though I think, as adults we can see how messed up it is but adolescent brains are missing some basic emotional recognitions; just hope your brother has changed as he has gotten older and is not a total sociopath.

Hard to give advice on here but you really need to try and find what works for you, that will help you grow through your past and let you be the better person, could be taking up study of some kind, taking up a martial art, going to the gym, hiking, yoga or whatever.

Also if you are comfortable with it would not hurt to shop around for a good therapist/psychologist who you can connect with and go over your whole history, could be very helpful in the long run, good support and a good way to get answers. Just keep away from the ones who do nothing but analyse/diagnose then want to medicate you, as opposed to taking a real interest in you, just talking and giving support; the latter are gems if you can find them, the former are money sinks. (Yes I am aware some people need to be medicated under some circumstances which is fine, just talking about pure therapy)

I have learnt over the years if you can find good ways to work through your own emotions, grow, learn to be calm and clear in the face of others you will eventually see their own weaknesses and that they are also only compensating for their own limitations. Overbearing aggressive people are simply dealing with the same anxieties and pressures of life as us all, just in a different way and sadly sometimes overly destructive.

Good luck man.

Last edited by ZeroHate on Dec 18, 2012, 3:31:37 AM
I think my older bro does regret what he did to me, or at least my oldest bro always try to explain to me.., but me emotionally I'm just not ready to forgive him, or at least for now, I ignore his FB messages, I try to speak to him as little as i can when i do see him... it's just complicated... just a thought, how much do you think it cost to have a good therapist/psychologist?
@ AlphaMetric

There are people here who could give you good, solid professional advice on where to go and who to talk to, but you'd have to be in Australia :-(
Last edited by Eggy on Dec 18, 2012, 4:47:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info