Offline Mode

I wish we could some how have a offline mode without hackers, but it just will not ever happen.
"
"
Coal48 wrote:
Still hoping GGG eventually change their minds about it

It will happen!!! one day...

No it wont. Now go away.

If it doesn't and they don't fix the online issues, many users will go away. I personally wish the game was at least playable online. I have supported the game but the latency seems to get worse and worse.
"
Mordread wrote:
I personally wish the game was at least playable online.

you must be doing it wrong
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
He might live 1000 miles or more from the best server, and no matter what you do you'll have problems then. If you live right on top of one, you just don't understand what some people are complaining about.
Offline mode will just allow third party software to hack the game.
IGN: AchiLize
Achi's Quality Shop https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/602552
It'll not happen.

Nothing to see here.

Close thread.

Move along.
"Live by the sword, live a good, LONG time"
"
Mordread wrote:
"
"
Coal48 wrote:
Still hoping GGG eventually change their minds about it

It will happen!!! one day...

No it wont. Now go away.

If it doesn't and they don't fix the online issues, many users will go away. I personally wish the game was at least playable online. I have supported the game but the latency seems to get worse and worse.

I know you dont understand it, but:

You CANNOT have offline mode without people eventually hacking it and modding the game.

You just CAN'T.

It's a bad idea.

Get over it.
Last edited by narg62 on Nov 7, 2013, 4:42:52 PM
I'm guessing when the death throws for PoE start, they'll be a marketing plan to sell an offline mode version of the game.

But before that happens, GGG would really need to mess up on CREATING NEW CONTENT.
"

I'm not saying it would be a two week job for one guy, of course to push a major new feature you have to assign appropriate resources and time. Maybe GGG can't spare the resources for the foreseeable future, but that isn't the reason they gave. Thinking up new reasons why it can't be done, that not even GGG have said, is to conceive of unnecessary barriers that may not actually exist.

I addressed the reasons they gave as well as I can given what I know about software development, and freely admit that is constrained by what I don't know about this particular codebase.

This conversation would produce conclusions of greater value if people would stop basing their arguments on straw men. Essentially everyone is saying "It wouldn't work if GGG implemented offline mode in an unimaginative and lazy way, therefore nobody should ask." The core of why offline mode is completely feasible is that you can design features and products with foresight and imagination and when you have decided to do so, you just need the resources. It continually puzzles me that this concept is so foreign to so many here.

Except that this is in fact a huge, huge deal. That's why I'm saying that I don't think you realize how much work it would be. The amount of work it would be is closer to rewriting the entire game than two weeks for one guy.

Think about this way. Look at a game like Diablo 3, where desync is much less of an issue because they delegate a small percentage more of their combat calculations to the client-side. Just from that difference, there have been numerous gigantic cheating issues, such as when at one point you could buy Radiant Star Gems for less than the amount they cost to craft because they were duped so much.

Having the ENTIRE game available to hackers means that they will be able to find any and all loopholes that might exist in the code to exploit. Code that is sufficiently different to prevent this would need to be different from the design up, basically, because any similarities leaves a potential loophole. It's not like developers intentionally leave loopholes in the code - they just happen, so covering all your bases requires you to not leave any potentials.
I was hugely active in the sacred 1 & 2 communities and I never say any hacking in those games. Only thing that dis happen was people uploading high level characters to download, and much later a character editor being made, which made it much better to carry on playing after 5+ years so you didn't have to keep on staring new characters at level 1.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info