Offline Mode

if you make OFFLINE mode, you expose the complete code of the game to the hackers: so NO NO OFFLINE GAME FFS, maybe in 10 years from now. period.
♦▲◄▼►▲♦ @Kadush ♦▲◄▼►▲♦
i just want to have an offline mode so somebody releases an editor

also there is an extremely quick solution to prevent hacking:
make the game scan its files everytime you start it up.
if anything is out of order redownload the file.
problem solved
Welcome to Wraeclast... Well what are you waiting for?
Time To WRECK SHIT

flame totem - knockback + max dodge chance = NANANANANANANA CANT TOUCH THIS
Last edited by gigaomega101 on Dec 7, 2013, 3:18:51 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:

Edit: Just to prove I didn't make up the bit about monopoly.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwmPBP2JHI

I know this is not the topic of this thread, but wtf ^^
IGN : @Morgoth
I think best solution to this would be that, if they decide to stop supporting it, they can put the commercial offline version with the cost, so this way they will have win-win situation.
My Craft Logs-thread/359202
"
Raeynn wrote:
Also, your signature incorrectly uses the Carrot and Stick idiom - the stick is behind the mule (for hitting).

The "carrot and the stick" and "carrot on a stick" are two different (though slightly related) concepts. The carrot on a stick idea is that by hanging the carrot just out of reach of the mule it will keep going forever in order to catch it.
"
Raeynn wrote:
"
Evlesoa wrote:
I agree completely. That paragraph is not only made-up, but the contents themselves make no sense. It's clear that TyrentKeel has not the slightest clue of what he is talking about. Not to mention, hacks and "attacks" (whatever that means) leading to players to discovering breakpoints of certain stats? Sounds like total garbage. No offense meant, too, just stating the facts.

I agree, it sounds like he's just repeating big words without understanding and unfairly dismissing counter-arguments.

Also, your signature incorrectly uses the Carrot and Stick idiom - the stick is behind the mule (for hitting).

I'm sorry if I appear to be dismissive. I know I'm coming off as arrogant, and I'll try harder not to do that either.

The fact is, people who by all accounts would enjoy playing this game offline as much as I would, are arguing against it for reasons ranging from quite poor to clearly false.

I explained to Evlesoa in excruciating detail because he (or she) did not understand any part of what I said and dismissed everything generally. If you would be so kind as to read my reply to Evlesoa, and ask for further clarification, I will do so, sans any unhelpful condescension.

I can assure you, to actual developers, all my posts do make sense. If you can't understand, I will help you understand, and an actual discussion can occur.

"
jeonitsoc wrote:
if you make OFFLINE mode, you expose the complete code of the game to the hackers: so NO NO OFFLINE GAME FFS, maybe in 10 years from now. period.

This is an example of a false reason. I tried explaining why it is false twice now, with increasing detail, and would gladly do so again because the subject is sincerely interesting to me. For now, the myth lives on.

I want to switch gears a little bit and focus on some of the good things an offline mode would make possible. People will continue to insist that it couldn't be done without destroying the economy, but for the moment I will ignore that.

Awesome things modders could, and would, do with PoE:

- New classes. One of the first things people would do is put in recycled content from other games. D2's Paladin, and Necromancer right down to their voice clips, are shoe-ins. This means the passive tree would get massively expanded, and you would just have a lot more options when playing.

- New skills. Storm Call would have been made in some form earlier, as would Piety's thunder orb and Dominus lightning-crawly-guys. When GGG makes their own Storm Call, it would undoubtedly be better balanced and polished, and people playing online would still enthusiastically use them. Pretty sure somebody would have done something about that useless Guardian by now too.

- New monsters. Rogue Exile Sephiroth comes to mind, but eventually people would do creative things as well. Again, more options for the people who want them, and it doesn't hurt the people who don't.

- Total conversions. Brother Laz, maker of Median XL for Diablo 2, has made several items for this game and a fellow like that would probably have a field day with full access to the games engine.

- Third party tools. Once an inventory manager were made, I would quickly begin exporting all my interesting items into a vast library of every cool thing I've ever found with any character, as I have for Diablo 2. I find that fun, and I wouldn't hazard to guess what manner of map editors would get created. All manner of endless dungeons to say the least.

- Balance tweaking. People would tinker with the rules in all kinds of ways, in order to have fun in their own games. Some I'd personally enjoy are upping the minion limits and setting everyone at permanent 50% IIQ and 200% IIR and removing them as affixes from the game. I don't like that only some playstyles get to have decent drops, but that's just me, and the overriding point to all this is that you get the game you want even where that differs from the game they made.

There would definitely be less cohesion in the design and balance, but it's there for the people who want it, nobody would force you to use it.

- More longevity for the experience. All of this adds up to having more ways to keep the game fresh. At this point I have end game builds for most of the major skills in game. There are a couple more things I want to play, but I'm not many characters away from having nothing left that I much want to do in Path of Exile. I'd get a lot more out of it, as I have from the Elder Scrolls games, if fans were allowed to contribute creatively freely and without paying to do so.

Now, combine these with the inherent advantages of offline mode:

- A game that will be playable for the next 400 years, in rain, sleet, or snow.

- A game that never desyncs. If you don't play melee or live any distance from the servers, you don't really know how bad this gets.

- A carefully crafted atmosphere that does not have the other players in town constantly dragging you out of it.

- It does not need to destroy the online mode, but again, leaving out the details for now.

And you have a value proposition that is hard to ignore. GGG are acting in accordance with their original design document, but as soon as they let the desync get as bad as it has gotten, that specific design requirement became an insufferable weight bogging down the entire experience. I would play both offline and keep my online characters that I have invested so much time into, it is possible to have the best of both worlds.

I could speculate on how this would work from a technical perspective, but ultimately I do not feel that is even necessary. When it's a problem you solve it, and it's not an unsolvable problem. They already trust the client so little they could actually let people mod a lot more safely than similar games could. I would expect everyone who wanted to play both modded PoE and official servers would simply have two installations, as that requires the least amount of work on GGG's side, but as I said, it's not something that really needs to be demonstrated.

A developer claiming that these problems are not solvable is quite an embarrassing statement to make. It's more a question of design intention and perhaps resources than in technical limitations.

If you did not understand my post please ask for clarification and I will provide it. I don't blame anybody for not being a developer and I do have a habit of being loquacious on an interesting subject.

Spoiler
Long post. Thread will probably die again.
Why is this thread even on the front page? It should get no response whatsoever because GGG will never do it unless they run out of money and i dont see that happening any time soon.
I have sympathy for you DirkAustin. You keep repeating the same thing and no one cares about or understands what you think. I understand.
Last edited by Crocodarrel on Dec 7, 2013, 8:04:51 AM
"
Why is this thread even on the front page? It should get no response whatsoever because GGG will never do it unless they run out of money and i dont see that happening any time soon.

I guess because players keep replying to it ?

Oops look! Up it goes.

Shamefull isn't it that it isn't doing what you like and getting no response.

Death to Desync !

Not likely....

Cheers all =P

Oops on topic,no thanks to offline mode,game would be useless without trade.
Last edited by Temper on Dec 7, 2013, 7:46:47 AM
Op the game will get an offline mode in 2035 ore something. I hope your a patient fellow.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info